Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DJM 800 MAPPING

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well I asked a question in a thread that was running already but it was closed because of that and was told to bring it here.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/125534/Virtual_DJ_Plugins/Pioneer_DJM-800_Mapper_.html

Question: I looked for a DJM 800 mapper but did not find one or may have over looked it. Is there one? or do I need to go a different route to map my DJM 800 to VDJ 6.07? Will I need the midi cables??

Answer: The DJM800 mixer is only mapped through the use of the SimpleMIDIMapper. There is not a downloadable definition/mapper.

Based on that answer really do not know where to begin so If anyone already has done what was answered to my question please provide the steps and/or where to begin.

Thank you.
Edwin

Posted Fri 02 Apr 10 @ 4:34 am
You will need a MIDI-cable and a MIDI-interface. Most external sound cards have MIDI-connectors, so it can work as your MIDI-interface. Connect the DJM-800 to your sound card using a MIDI-cable, then open Virtual DJ's mapping settings and assign the functions you want.

One more word advice: if you want to use the extra buttons on DJM-800 to control VDJ, that's fine....but don't even think about doing something stupid like mapping your EQ's and faders to control VDJ ;)

Posted Fri 02 Apr 10 @ 6:35 am
Thank you!! Now must ask:

Why you do not recommend mapping the faders??

Posted Fri 02 Apr 10 @ 10:21 am
Because they manipulate the audio directly in hardware.

If you MIDI map the volume sliders and/or the audio crossfader, the sound will be manipulated in software before it reaches the mixer, preventing you from headphone pre-listening from the mixer (You won't be able to listen to the other channel because it is faded out by VirtualDJ, so no sound is reaching the mixer.)

The only items you normally need to map on a MIDI capable external hardware audio DJ mixer is the crossfader for video crossfading and spare buttons, knobs and sliders for controlling effects, samples, etc.

Posted Fri 02 Apr 10 @ 1:10 pm

Posted Sat 03 Apr 10 @ 7:44 am
Well yeah...the general principle is correct, however:

- This guy is using version 5, which is outdated. Version 6 and newer have much easier mapping functions.

- If your sound card already has MIDI-in, you don't need a separate USB-MIDI interface.

- This guy was obviously trying to do the stupid thing that we told you not to do; mapping EQ and faders.

- Don't pay much attention what says about not being able to prelisten via headphones etc. etc. He just hasn't understood how his gear works together and which kind of signal is transferred via which cable. It's actually very simple when you understand it.

Basically all his problems are caused by the fact that he's trying to do the dumb thing - using DJM-800 as a remote controller for Virtual DJ's internal software mixer - while yet his sound card is rigged to the mixer as if his mixer would be used the traditional way. It's not a bug, it just doesn't work because it can't work. In other words, he's just doing it wrong :)

Posted Sun 04 Apr 10 @ 10:51 am
jdmb20Home userMember since 2010
hey guys i need some help... i would like to use the cdj 1000's n the djm 800 mixer while using my laptop with virtual dj 6.. what would i need to have this set up...any imput will be appreciated... thanks in advance.. if theres a thread discusing this direct me that way pls

Posted Wed 05 May 10 @ 2:35 am
help!

Posted Wed 24 Jun 15 @ 7:56 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)