Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Video with Geforce FX5200

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I had a problem when I try to mix or play video.

I have a Nvidia Geforce FX5200, latest official drivers (71) and DX 9.0c.
I have also a Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 soundcard + VIA internal soundcard.
My mainboard is a EPOX 8KTA3.
I installed the VIA4in1 v. 4.49.

(I tried reinstall everything and nothing has changed)

When I load a video without using the TV out the video window appears and it could be played.
But when I select (use) the TV out (with or without hardware acceleration) I get an error message: "Error in the video display" and it doesn't work. The video windo freezes.

I I load a video and that the TV out is already selected the video window appears and disappears immediately.

Even with these problems the sound is played correctly when I play a video and that the TV out is selected.

==> Does anybody made a test with a Geforce FX5200 ?
==> Does anybody have some solution for this problem ?

Thanks in advance,
Clax

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 9:29 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i've got one of these cards, will give it a try in the morning & post my results...

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 3:31 pm
I found the solution ;)

With this card (I don't know with others) we have to select "dual view" and not "clone mode".

@teamers: I'm happy to finaly set a solution to this problem but maybe it would be useful to put this information in the next manual and why not in the news area in order not to have this question asked many times.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 3:50 pm
@Cyderhouse: Did you check with this mode ?

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 3:53 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
Clax,

I did but I just wasn't happy with the perforamce of the 5200 so I upped to a 6600gt I'm still testing I'll post results soon.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 4:39 pm
OK I'll wait for your tests.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 4:57 pm
Same for my INTEL gfx chipset centrino notebook ;-) took me about hour to figure out that no THEATRE mode or clone, but just extended desktop is necessary.

btw. video is skippy even if CPU usage is 10% when playing same in winamp or WMP it is fluent...
how about performance on other machines/gfx cards, according to this thread about Geforce ???

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 12:06 am
I use a AMD CPU at 1.1Ghz and 768Mo SDRam.
With my Geforce FX5200 (128MBDDR) the video are not fluid.

I expect to get a new PC one day ...

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 11:58 am
sorry I was wrong,
previously I had preview window minimized
I tested it yesterday so small 10mb 3minute mpeg took about 50-60 percent of cpu
the bigger (different formats and sizes) up to 100mb svcd dvd rip
ate 90-100 % of cpu. I was not using the TV and extended desktop just watching preview window.

The size of preview window affected only framerate but there was no lower cpu usage .

Will test a little more, because media player plays smoothly those files at 10% CPU usage.

Maybe it is of the decoding, while friend was watching me he told hehe try to scratch, videos cant go backward fluently .. i scratched the videos with no problem (not concerning lo framerate) or looped them.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 11:02 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)