Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Help with Hecules DJ Console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BronaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi,
I just received my Hercules DJ Console last night, and setting it up was mostly easy, except for a few things, so here are some questions I have about it. I am running VDJ Professional. I am not using the demo version included with the console.

1) The vinyl jog wheels - they seem to have a horrible time with accurately navigating to a spot that I want to go. I find that I get better precision with the arrow keys on the keyboard to match the beats up more accurately when I'm not using beatlock. Is there a way to change the sensitivity or how fast the jog wheel moves the song forward/backward?

2) I have found that it is all too easy to accidentally scratch while using the crossfader because my fingers have bumped one or both of the wheels. Is it possible to completely disable the input from the jog wheels so they do nothing?

3) The Cue button only lights up when I load the song at the Cue #1. Is it supposed to not light up when the song is placed at other cues? Also, when I have the "1 2 3" button area set to cue, I'm finding that it sets the cue. Can I have the buttons jump to the cue instead?

4) The Pitch Bend buttons appear to do nothing. I hit either the + or - and nothing happens. I made sure that Beat Lock was turned off.

5) When I press the Forward or Reverse Track buttons, it just randomly goes to someplace in the song without apparent reason. Is it possible to program them to do other functions?

6) The ministick does not seem to control the mouse function in VDJ. The left- and right-click buttons don't appear to do anything inside VDJ.

7) The sound quality of the built-in sound card seems pretty crappy compared to a Sound Blaster series card (and I don't have a professional card). Is this normal? Sure it is nice that it has a bunch of inputs and outputs that plug directly into the console, but the sound quality is so poor I can't imagine ever using them.

8) Is there a guide or something along that line that I can read to help me better fine tune my usage of the device? I'm sure I would be much happier with it if I had some way of tweaking it's controls. As it is, the only thing I find useful about the console is the use of the potentiometers. I find myself reverting to using the keyboard for functions that you would think the console would be perfect for.

9) What hardware do people find most useful with VDJ?

10) Is there any reference file available for assigning keyboard shortcuts? I know enough to be able to create my own xml file, but it's a little time consuming trying to figure out what tags go to what function in the software on my own.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 12:02 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hello ...
i think there's nothing wrong with your hdc...
the joggs are maybe set to scratch..see this in the options of vdj, the same with the stick...
look at my blog for the shortcuts....

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 5:40 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
1. As djjb said, you can adjust the HDJC wheels to either "scratch" or "nudge". Not sure where exactly the option to change is, as I haven't used my console for quite some time. Sorry. Even after setting those jogs to nudge, you still might find yourself using the keyboard to beatmatch...those jogs are pretty inaccurate.

4. Are you hitting pitchbend repeatedly or holding it down?

5. Is it hopping to cuepoints or really just random spots?? Strange.

7. I was quite pleased with the sound quality of the HDJC. I'd call that its best feature, actually. Are you getting a ground loop hum?

8. The HDJC formally had a keymapping option, but I believe Hercules removed that in the most recent update. :(

9. Personally, I use a mixer and a pair of XP10's (KAOSS Pad on the way, wooo!). TCV, XP10, CDDJ...all have their advantages/disadvantages.

Posted Sat 07 May 05 @ 8:54 am
hi my xp10's are getting fixed so i am using my console at the moment,all the controls are all arse about face.When i drag and drop a tune into a deck the other one stops,the pitch control doe'snt work,the cross fader does the head phone you just can't mix.can anyone help its most anoying.all the settings have changed since i used the console?

Posted Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 9:18 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Reinstall drivers. It helped me.

Dj Nikki

Posted Sun 17 Jul 05 @ 2:57 pm
Okay... I just used the hdjc live for the 1st time. and my BEEF is that when I load a new song into a deck while the other is playing, there is a skip or jitter! PLEASE, I do love the overall concept and the mixing was okay for me but how can I fix this skipping and jitter problem. I would hate to know that I have wasted my $!

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 3:55 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@Afrikan Vybz

What kind of computer are you using? How much memory is installed? Provide your specs.

cstoll

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 4:07 am
My Laptop P3 900, 512, 30G and my PC AMD 2.26, 512, 40G both of them doing the same thing

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 4:11 am
don't you have your songs on the external usb drive ?

Posted Mon 18 Jul 05 @ 2:19 pm
my files are only 2.5G so it is on my hard drive

Posted Tue 19 Jul 05 @ 9:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)