Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Time stretch not working during nudge

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

thedashPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Something is different from Atomix.

When you use nudge to adjust the beat (arrow keys) the pitch shifts on the the tune you're nudging.

This can sound particularly bad if you have to make a lot of adjustments (if the tempo is variable of either tune). Try it with something like the whistle song and it sounds like DJ Aligator has swallowed the pea!!!!

This did not happen before as the Time stretch worked during nudge.

Is there any way of stopping the pitch change?

I thought of disabling the scratch function - but that's been removed from the config.

Is this a "feature" or a bug?

Thanks

Dazz

Posted Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 5:11 am
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
One way is reducing the value of the nudging shortcut..

Posted Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 4:59 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I have found this to be a pain also.

To solve it I reduced the value the track nudges by but this meant it was too slow to respond.

The best thing to do is treat atomix like real decks. If you were using real decks if the songs go out of sink you either nudge the vinyl or increase/decrease the pitch until the songs go back in.

This is what you need to do with VJ. Use the pitch up and pitch down. If the songs go out of sinc you can see which way they need to go so increase or decrease the pitch until the songs match again. Then put the pitch back to normal.
Works as a bit of a feedback loop cause if you over speed it up you then need to slow it down.

This works much better and feels more profesional to. It takes a while to get used to not using left and right keys but it works much better.

Jukesy

Posted Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 5:57 pm
Well i agree on the part that current method sucks. Best way to deal with is to change the source code to time stretch relatively to the current pitch when bending/nudging.

So even when you have time stretch/master tempo DISABLED, the bend/nudge buttons will use time stretch to accomplish their task.

BTW Atomixmp3 didn't actually work the way you described, it more like shifted the position by jumping, making a occasional glitches in sound.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 7:00 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yep thats true. Personaly I found the glitch more annoying than the bend.

increasing or decreasing pitch temporarily works best.

Posted Mon 11 Aug 03 @ 7:07 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
I never used nudge conrols, I use the tempo control, like jukesy described. I was on DALnet #DJ channel a few days ago, and there was a fight among vinyl DJs about what method is the best. In the end we agreed that you should tuch the plate only if you really need to (like to scratch etc)

Posted Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 8:51 am
thedashPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thanks for the tips

Guess it's more like vinyl really. It's only certain tunes that it really sounds odd - those with high pitch strings etc.

I'll just have to change technique to match. Going live for the first time with VDJ on Friday - so will have to get a bit of practice in before.

Then doing a Foam party on Saturday - Cool.

See Ya All

Dazz

Posted Tue 12 Aug 03 @ 9:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)