Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Mackie MR8

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

iPengoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Hi guys. I'm thinking about buying some speakers for houseparty DJing. I mostly DJ tech house/progressive house, has anyone had any experience with the MR8's or know if theyll be suitable for what I need?

I can get them for £340 for the pair so thats my price range I guess. I've heard they\'re great spec monitor speakers for their price.

Thanks for your help!

Posted Tue 20 Oct 09 @ 3:14 pm
These are studio monitors. They sound good but will not stand up to doing full parties. They will overheat and shutdown, or you can blow out the bottom end, especially playing house/club music. If you are to use them, I would only use them with a crossover and seperate subs.

I blew one of mine out in my studio after only 1 month of playing 30-60 minute mixes 2-3 times a week. Though it took a while to get ahold of someone, once I did Mackie support shipped me out a replacement. I have since backed off on my mixing volume until I can add seperate subs to my studio system. I just don't think they are what you want to play live gigs. I have used them to provide background and wedding ceremony music though...

Posted Wed 21 Oct 09 @ 2:33 am
Can you just elaborate on the crossover and sub comment. What crossover/sub would I get if I was to get one with these speakers?

Are there any other speakers you can recommend. I was told that monitor speakers would be really good for houseparties and was recommended to look at Mackie, JBL and Peavey.

Need all the help I can get for this because £340 is a lot of money and I want to get it right! There isn't anywhere local that I can go to test speakers out

Thanks!

Posted Wed 21 Oct 09 @ 11:57 am
isrortPRO InfinityMember since 2009
i recommend a state of art: Mackie HD1531 15IN 3-Way 1800W Powered Loudspeaker but are around 1200 usd each

or the classic Mackie SRM450 v2 Active PA Loudspeaker 600 usd each

Posted Wed 21 Oct 09 @ 7:52 pm
They are speakers that I will aspire to in the future but for now my budget is aroudn £350 ($580) for a pair of speakers.

I was also looking at the KRK RP8's which are in a similar range to the Mackie MR8s. Anyone know anything about these?

Posted Thu 22 Oct 09 @ 11:45 am
The speakers you are looking at are studio monitors. They are designed more for clarity than volume. While they can get fairly loud, they are not strong enough to drive dance-club volume levels for 2 or more hours. They will overheat and shut down or you will blow out the bottom end trying to play the bass notes that dance music is known for. Your best bet would be to buy a used cabinet/amp setup or just to wait until you can invest a little more money to get a better setup. You can also rent PA to do gigs with while you are saving up to get your own system. for example, I can rent a $4k EV Sub/top end setup in my area for $200 a weekend. It is a high-quality sound system that can provide more than enough power for most small to medium events. You would be better off making less money while providing a good sound system that will not fail in the middle of your gig. Every time you play you are adding to your reputation, you should do things the right way from the start.
Just my $.02

Posted Tue 27 Oct 09 @ 4:32 am
GET YRSELF A PAIR OF JBL CONTROL 5 OFF EBAY FROM AS LITTLE AS 75 QUID THEY EQUALLY AS HAPPY IN A STUDIO OR FOR MIXING OR A PUB OR SMALL CLUB THEY HAVE CIRCUIT PROTECTION BUT YOULL NOT GET MUCH ELSE THATS AS GOOD ALROUNDER AS THESE , NO DOUBT PEOPLE WILL START THROWING NAMES OF OTHERS THAT ARE AS CAPABLE BUT FOR THE MONEY THERE A PRETTY GOOD BET FOR MOST APPLICATIONS AND HAVE SOME KICK TO EM WHEN PUSHED I ACTUALLY GOT A NEARLY NEW PAIR FOR 45 QUID BOXED ,NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EM FOR YEARS AND I USE EM BOTH FOR MIXING AND FOR POST PRODUCTION REFERENCE IN MY STUDIO

Posted Wed 22 Oct 14 @ 4:52 pm
LOL JUST REALISED THIS CONVO IS FROM 2009 SO A LITTLE LATE WITH A RESOPNCE FROM ME HAHAH BUT ILL LEAVE THIS POST UP AS ITS STILL COMPLETELY RELEVANT FOR ANYONE ELSE WANTING SPEAKER ADVISE

Posted Wed 22 Oct 14 @ 5:00 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)