Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Okay...what's going on now??? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey guys...

I bought VDJ the other day and downloaded it and it seems to be working brilliantly...but i want to use the software on another PC that's just going to have VDJ and music on it. So, i copied the .exe file and uploaded it to my other system, entered my software key and nothing...

My preloaded samples work...but none of my shortcut keys are there...and none of my music will work. I've copied a cd full of tunes over and when i try and open it, it won't work. There's a wee yellow '!' i think beside each of the tracks i've copied over and they won't play. When i right click and go into the FILE INFO field, it says 'IMPOSSIBLE TO OPEN 'TRACK NAME' WITH WMA ENCODER'.

All of my tracks on this machine are either WMA or MP3, and all work fine, apart from my last post where some of the time is being cut off. It was suggested that this is a WMP10 issue and therefore WMP9 should be installed and this would solve the problem. However, my other PC is brand new and my version of WIN XP PRO only has WMP9 on it...

Have i missed something??? Is it cos I've copied my install file??? HELP!!!

Cheers

Somertime

Posted Thu 21 Apr 05 @ 10:22 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Make sure the path is the same, check your drive letter.
If you copied the folder over from the other system, most likely the drive letter is different.
If you go into system/disc management you can change the drive letter and tag to match the other system.

I hope I got your question right.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 12:32 am
Hi mp3jrick...

i know what you mean...but i think you may worded my question wrong...

Basically i need to make a back up copy of my VDJ...but how do i do it?

I've tried copying the install.exe file, and uploading it and entering the serial on my other pootah, but then i couldn't play any tracks and the keyboard shortcuts weren't working.

So then i thought i would copy the Virtual DJ folder that you get when you actually install it for the first time...but then i got a PROTECTION ERROR coming up when i tried to open VDJ from there too.

I copied it to disk from machine 1 but can't open it on machine 2, even when i d/loaded it from the disk onto the second machine...:o(

anyone?

thanks

somertime

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 12:45 am
All you need to do is find where the original install was saved to.
I create a folder right on my desk top that I put all the updates in along with my lic code.
This in turn can be copied to a cd for installation on your other machine.

If you want your systems to match, you need exact copies of the music and the c:programfilesvirtualdj folder after scanning the main system.
Just do the install right over what you have, and copy/transfer the folder and replace when it prompts you.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 12:58 am
Nice one...i'll give it a shot

Cheers

Somertime

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 1:08 am
Ok...so i've been in touch with ESERVICE, and they told me to upload my VDJ from copy disk while connected to the net, so i whipped my network card to my other machine and tried it...it loaded fine. But my tracks still aren't getting recognised!!!

This is my basic setup: on machine 1, i have 2 hard drives. first up (C), a small one with just programs on it and windows and stuff and secondly (D) a larger one containing my 14gig (!!!) music library.

On machine 2, i only have one hard drive which has everything on it...well, WIN XP, VDJ and my library...or at least that's the idea. I want to keep it as clean as possible so i don't end up with loads of junk and therefore i will not be using this for net connection (unless TOTALLY necessary).

Above it says that the drive letters need to be the same. A couple of questions i have are:

1/ Should i change machine 2 hdd to letter 'D' as opposed to 'C' and copy the music in there?
2/ Whip hdd 2 out of my first machine, slap it into my second and copy the files from there and is it ok to do this? Both machines have WIN XP on them.
3/ Should i install VDJ before copying my music over or after? I'm thinking after from what i've seen so far...:o(
4/ Has anybody else ever had this type of problem before???

As usual folks...any assistance much appreciated...:o)

Cheers guys

Somertime

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 8:51 pm
If you are attempting to set up identically, you must have the same paths (drive letter) if you intent to share data base info.

Once you have loaded the program, you need to right click on database in the browser on the left.
Select scan disc drives for music.
This will prompt you for which drives you wish to scan, select the proper location and let it run is course.
At some point start analyzing folder by folder.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 9:22 pm
I see...

Do you think then i should take my second hard drive out of my first machine and stick it into my second and copy my library from the second hdd to the first???

man...this is getting outta hand...:o|

Somertime

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 9:25 pm
It's a good idea to have a "go between" drive, I call mine "transfers".
This allows me to update so they are the same.
If these are externals the chore is easy.
Using one data drive between two systems is even easier as both programs will see the same thing.

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 9:52 pm
ok...unfortunately for the time being i don't have a go between as such. i've got 1 drive on my first pc that has all the music on it.

can i take put that in my second machine and copy all the files onto it and then search for the files that way? or would they also need to be in drive 'd', which is where my previous question 'should i change my drive letter?' comes from?

sorry...i'm just not quite getting this just yet.

:o|

Posted Fri 22 Apr 05 @ 10:03 pm
Boy is this twisted now......

Do not change any drive letter from C what ever you do.
Are these all internal drives?
Is there a laptop involved or both desktops.

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 1:30 am
Yeah, i thought changing the drive letter sounded a bit weird!!!

All my drives are internal...good/bad???

I've taken my music drive and slapped it into my second machine and copied all my music over...now i have all my music on my second system...

I'm going to try and install vdj again and see if it works this time...

i'll let you know in two mins!!!

:o)

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 3:19 am
NO JOY!!!

What now???? Again, it's not recognising any tracks i put onto the decks and my shortcuts aren't appearing...

I can't believe it...gutted!!

Any ideas???

:o|

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 3:30 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Just one question: did you copy the shortcuts.xml file (it contains all the virtual dj shortcuts)?

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 8:01 am
The only file i copied was the install.exe file. Then i uploaded it to my second machine and entered my serial number. Then i installed it into the system and searched for tracks on the machine...it found them all, but when i drag them onto the deck, they are not working.

When i right click on a track in my library, and go to file info, it says 'impossible to open 'track name' with wma encoder' or words to that effect.

Eservice asked me if there was a DRM protection on these files, but as far as i'm aware there isn't. Can i check this???

I have the same set up on both machines, only instead of two hard drives on machine 2, i only have one which contains everything. Do i need another intall file to put on the second machine? Is it possible to get this?

When i downloaded vdj the first time, i just opened my music folder from the menu on the left hand side and all the tracks worked...allbeit some of them weren't analysing properly...but i've found a way around this now...

please help!

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 10:28 am
To get the shortcut from your first Virtual DJ, go to:
c:program filesvirtualdj
of your first computer. Inside copy shortcuts.xml and paste it in the second computer at the same adress. Do the same thing with database.xml

Otherwise for your track, no idea. Maybe you try to drag'n'drop from the database...

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 11:44 am
Thanks djcel

I copied the shortcuts and database file...and that seemed to work for the shortcuts, but not for the tracks. I still can't get vdj to play anything but actual mp3's (most of my collection is wma's).

eservice have passed my problem onto an administrator so i guess i'll have to wait to hear from them unless anyone else has any ideas?

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 12:33 pm
I have just read your posts again. You can't copy the folder vdj like that otherwise it would be too simple to hack Virtual DJ. To have Virtual DJ on another PC, you are obliged to use first the install file, then enter the serial, and only at that time, you can copy the directories skins/effects/samples and the two files shortcuts.xml/database.xml

Try to delete this file: "mp3database.txt" in the vdj folder on the new computer

Posted Sat 23 Apr 05 @ 1:52 pm
djcel

i tried what you said.

i had originally copied the install.exe file to a disk and then installed it to my second machine, where i put the serial in. it loaded up fine but won't take the tracks.

so, i deleted the virtual dj database file and the mp3database.txt file on the other machine, and then tried rescanning, but again this has not worked.

is this anything to do with my regedit??? would it work if i deleted the reg key, reinstalled the program and tried again???

i really need this program to work on my other machine...that's the one i'll be using for gigs!!!

somebody please help me!!!

cheers

chris

Posted Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 11:46 pm
It's the first time i have heard such a strange issue. This problem is very specific. Are you sure of your computer? Try to come back to the first step. Remove virtual dj, all the folder vdj, the regsitry part for vdj and erase all the file in the "prefetch" folder in the windows directory. Then install vdj again and scan the files to create the database.After that if it doesn't work maybe install windows again or maybe your hard disk is dead...

Posted Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 11:56 pm
83%