Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Using Cue button of CDJ 1000

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi there

I am using a CDJ1000MkII and a CDJ 800 MkII with timecode CDs and Virtual DJ. Is there a way to use the Cue button on the CDJ to make the song go back and pause at the cue point? How can you even set a cue point by using the CDJs?

Any help would be appreciated

What mode do I need my timecodes in? Is it virtualDJ and smart?

Cheers

Posted Wed 29 Jul 09 @ 3:42 pm
You would need a MIDI compatible controller to be able to do this, such as a CDJ-400.

With timecode, it will not return to the cue point until you start the song playing again.

Timecode is a specially encoded CD (Or vinyl recod) that tells VirtualDJ exactly where on the disc it's playing, the speed and direction.

If you press CUE, the playback stops and VirtualDJ has no way of knowing that the position has changed until you start the song playing again from the cue point.

A work around is to tap the CUE button so that it plays a very short clip of audio from the cue point, causing VirtualDJ to jump to the correct position.

If it doesn't jump back when you start the song playing, please ensure that you have it set to either smart or absolute mode. In relative, it will ignore position information. Also, please ensure you have a good timecode signal, otherwise it will not be able to determine the exact position.

With a MIDI controller, VirtualDJ knows exactly what button you've pressed, so if you press CUE, it immediately goes back to the cue point.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 09 @ 4:58 pm
You don't need a MIDI deck, it works fine with both the CDJ 1000 & CDJ800.

I use the SMART mode and manually set my cue points using the PIONEER units. You can manually set loops, hot cues & cue points on the CDJ 1000 & 800 and they will work fine in smart mode, I have always used SMART mode, so I honestly, can't tell you how well they work in relative or absolute modes. Auto loop, however won't work because the BPM will be wrong.

I find myself using the cdj-800s more than the cdj-1000s with Virtual DJ. The "quick return" feature works great on the cdj 800s and frankly the cdj 1000s are overkill when using VDJ.

Posted Wed 29 Jul 09 @ 7:54 pm
Yes, manual cues and loops work fine with any timecode CD player.

However, that is not what he is looking for. He wants the song position in VirtualDJ to return back to the cue point when he presses the CUE button (I.e: Stop the music playing and return to the cue point.) However, that won't work with timecode because VirtualDJ does not know the song position has changed until he starts the music playing again from the cue point.

Tapping the CUE button is a work-around (Allowing VirtualDJ to detect the new song position and jump to it.)

Posted Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 11:53 am
So, excuse my ignorance but how do i set cue points using timecode CDs with a CDJ 1000?

Posted Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 1:45 pm
Use the CUE button on your CDJ just as you would for a CD. This works exactly as it would for a CD, however you will not see not see a cue point set in in VirtualDJ when you do this. With timecode, VirtualDJ has no way of knowing what button you pressed - All it knows is the music stopped and/or has jumped to a different position on the CD and reacts accordingly.

To be able to set cues in VirtualDJ itself and jump to existing (Saved) cues, you would need a MIDI controller such as Pioneer CDJ-400.

Posted Thu 30 Jul 09 @ 2:14 pm
Im having the same issue with my cdj800's... can you suggest any other midi control device other then the cdj 400??

also how do we set up the midi controller??
do you set it up through Config>Mappers??

Thanx

Posted Sun 25 Oct 09 @ 4:00 pm
Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

E.g:

All-in-one: Hercules DJ Console RMX, Vestax VCI-100 (Has no built-in sound card), Vestax VCI-300

Rackmount: Denon DN-HC4500

Separates: Denon DN-S3700, Denon DN-S1200

Any MIDI controller that is natively supported by the software will be used automatically at start-up in the latest VirtualDJ v6. You do not need to map it (Unless you wish to change the default mappings.)

To use an unsupported controller, you would need to make your own definition and mapping for it: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJscript.html

Posted Tue 27 Oct 09 @ 3:03 pm
BLV008PRO InfinityMember since 2009
sorry wrong board but I am going crazy !!! I got a radius 1000 and for some reason I am not able to make it work with VDJ but with timecode cd's this thing is being with the dealer trying to figure out a solution but they just cannot find it and I got tired so my only option is to go timecode cd's with audio 4 dj but you cannot cue or set loops right???? so can you please explain me or help me to understand better how it works and why I am not able to plug my CDJ to the computer even though I have talk to VDJ and A.A. I already have 3 units (2 returns and one at home) but they all had the same problem how did the owners of the RADIUS 1000 got it to work ???? please. BTW here is a link that i found how he loops in the CDJ without touching the PC http://www.mixvibes.com/site/pageeng/page.php?x=mv7crosspack

Posted Mon 09 Nov 09 @ 9:12 pm
ji_zza1Home userMember since 2010
ok

Posted Thu 15 Apr 10 @ 8:31 am
Spanish; EspaƱol: Hola, tengo un problema quiero por favor que me ayuden, tengo 2 pioneer 1000 mk2 + Maya44 + cd Timecode Virtual dj, estoy renegando hace bastante con esto, hoy descargue virtual dj 8, con la licencia de 10 min y me andubo barbaro el boton CUE, cuando lo presionaba volvia al lugar donde tenia el primer cue, en cambio en virtual dj 6 y 7 cuando lo presionas se pausa el tema, hay alguna forma de mejorar esto? Espero respuestas
Ingles:Hi , I have a wish please problem to help me , I have 2 pioneer 1000 mk2 + Maya44 + cd Timecode Virtual dj , I'm disowning does enough with this, today virtual download dj 8 with license 10 min and I barbaro andubo button CUE , when pressed was returning to the place where he had the first cue , while in virtual dj 6 and 7 when you press the pause issue , is there any way to improve this ? I wait for answers

Posted Fri 26 Feb 16 @ 7:27 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)