Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: recording w tcv, is it still the same - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Before I got the TCV's I recorded my mixes simply using the record button on VDJ. Then I copied that file to a CD via CD creator. The other day I recorded a mix the same way, went to copy the CD and showed it was done successfully. But when I went to play the CD, it was blank. Is there something I have to do different now that I have TCV's in order to record? Thanks VDJ's

Posted Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 8:01 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Here you go Kiteman...it's not the same. I'm just figuring it out myself. You'll need another soundcard and another recording program. If you think about it, the output (what your mixing) is coming from the mixer-not VDJ. VDJ has the crossfader in the middle. So you need to take your output and bring it back to the computer to record what you're mixing.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=11081

Posted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 5:38 pm
This works and its free and easy

1. Download autograbber (free)
2. Then got buy a stereo y-cable:
1 rca (red/white) at one end and a phone jack on the other end
3. Plug the red/white end to you mixer and then plug the phone jack to the mic on your computer
4. Open the program and click sample in-line

5. And start recording live with tcv and you see the volume move up/down while recording

I hope this helps
it works good

Posted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 6:20 pm

3. Plug the red/white end to you mixer and then plug the phone jack to the mic on your computer

5. And start recording live with tcv and you see the volume move up/down while recording

I hope this helps
it works good

Posted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 6:20 pm

I hope this helps
it works good

Posted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 6:21 pm
^ Opps ^ sorry I'm on my phone typing

And it AUDIOGRABBER (free)

Posted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 8:55 pm
anonymous/the bachelor. Are you saying the recording quality is good? I put up another post in the general forum. I had problems using my mic in and the onboard soundcard. It was suggested to use a separate cheap soundcard. I bought a soundblaster usb card (i have a laptop) and it all worked but the quality sucked.

Posted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 9:31 pm
To record make sure you use the line in!!!! The mic in will give you awful quality Djej.

Use the soundblaster USB soundcard's line in and the Creative recorder. Make sure your recording from your line in and then hit record.

Try it and let us know

DJ White Devil

Posted Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 9:34 pm
Thanks white devil. I just checked it's line in. USB connection. I'm not using Creative recorder so I have to play with that and figure it out. I bought (Magix something) don't remember the name. That may be the problem. Do you have a setup with this soundcard that works??

Posted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 3:29 am
yeah it comes out good, but in wave
but you can transfer the wave to mp3

like i said its free

Posted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 5:44 am
I have always used my soundblaster Live to record. I go from my Mixer's monitor out to my SB Live's line in and record from there. Quality wise its about the same as a regular CD. Although I have never tried recording with the TCV yet although I am talking about regular vinyl from my turntables going into my mixer and out to the soundcard's line in. I will test it out with the TCV once I get my complete setup which should be within 3 weeks.

Once everything is recorded as 1 long wave file I open it in Wavelab and cut the songs from there and burn a CD. Its a long process although I never had an issue as of yet.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 2:39 pm
DJ WhiteDVL. That's the same card I have. I have to play with this some more. Something must be set incorrectly somewhere. Thanks.

Posted Thu 07 Apr 05 @ 3:29 pm
Anonymous:
I have a couple of questions.
First, from the mixer... where exactly do i plug the RCA cable to?? I have my 2 turntables to my line's, then my RCA splitter to the mic on my other soundcard's mic?

2nd, after you give me that information, I want to know if by "phone jack" you mean 1/4 inch. I went to radioshack yesterday and they told me they don't make rca splitter to a phone jack... so I wound up buying an RCA to a 1/4 inch actually the smallest jack that fit. May be even smaller than 1/4 inch?
Thanks!!!

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 7:08 pm
well the jack anonymous was talking about would be the RCA to 1/4" "phono" jack smaller then 1/4" would be 1/8".

The best connection method would be like this...

-Connect each turntable to the line ins on your ASIO soundcard
-Connect the line outs to your mixer's inputs
(standard connection to make your TCVs work)
-From your mixer you might have 1 main out (connects to your amp or speakers) and a booth out.
-connect a cable from your "booth out" to another soundcard's "line in" using the connector you have purchased.
-From here you would have to configure the software to record.

Best regards

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 8:06 pm
Duh.. I thought I read PHONE jack..not phono jack!!!!. No wonder everyone was losing it on me...
I was look Mr. Radioshack... my guys are experts.. if they say that's what I need... that's what I need..
Hilarious!!!!! I'll try it when I get home!!!!

just when I thought I was done I read "you have to configure...." I hate configuring... Let's hope I can do this!!!
Thanks again....

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 8:12 pm
Well by configuring I mean this...I use a Sound blaster Live soundcard to record, so I open up the Recorder (the recording software that came with the card) and select what input I want to record from (Line In) From there I just hit record and then I start mixing once I see the time counting on the software showing that its recording.

Once everything is recorded I re-open up the recorded Wav (or any other format that you recorded under) and cut off part of the recorded file so that there's no pause at the begining or end of the track. You can also cut your wav into different tracks using software like Wavelab and such to cut your tracks, name them, and then burn a CD.

Best of luck on this

DJ White Devil

Posted Mon 11 Apr 05 @ 9:09 pm
White DVL, my other soundcard is a SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum EX sound card. It came w/ an installation cd for Cubasis VST CE. What is that thing? Another thing, I didn't do a full installation of the Soundblaster sound card, I only installed the driver because I didn't think I would need anything else. Do you suggest I run a full installation? I want to use the system like everyone suggested on this thread... by using that program which I already downloaded, and using the RCA/Phono jack...
thanks.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:16 am
whiteDVL, you wrote
Connect each turntable to the line ins on your ASIO soundcard
-Connect the line outs to your mixer's inputs
(standard connection to make your TCVs work)
-From your mixer you might have 1 main out (connects to your amp or speakers) and a booth out.
-connect a cable from your "booth out" to another soundcard's "line in" using the connector you have purchased.
-From here you would have to configure the software to record

Here's what my mixer has-- it's a Vestax PMC-06 Pro D
INPUT

Phono inputs
Stereo (RIAA –42dBv; RCA) x 2

Line inputs
Stereo (-10dBv; RCA) x 2

OUTPUT

Master out 1***********************THIS ONE GOES TO MY POWERED SPEAKER*************
Stereo (-7dBm; Jack1/4”) x 2

Monitor head phone out *******************I'm assuming this is the one that I need to connect the RCA cable on one end, and the other to the Line in on my other Sound card? **********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Stereo (90mW; Jack 1/4") x 2

CHANNEL
2 stereo channels; Input trim control; 2-band equalizer low

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:25 am
I just noticed my Soundcard came with a Tool bar that says I want to ...Record music from external devices. I think this is where I need to change it from it's default "record what I hear" to record from Analog mix (Line/CD/AUX/TAD/PC) ... I figure this has to be the one because it says Line??

So after clicking on Record music from external devices my choices in this Recorder Menu Box are:
Record from:
1) Wave/MP3
2) Microphone
3) "What you hear"
4) CD digital
5) Analog mix (Line/CD/AUX/TAD/PC)******Is this the one i select?
6) MIDI synth

Thanks...I think I've almost got it here.

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:36 am
Ok... great news, I was able to record!!!!!!! you guys are great!!!! Just got one issue, Recording was very low and distorted. I followed your instructions to make sure I went into my Line In and not my MIC in but it was a bit low. PS.... I never used audiograbber.... Should I have?

Posted Tue 12 Apr 05 @ 4:48 am
91%