Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: denon hc-4500 poor sound

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mrkav1Home userMember since 2008
H i iv'e had my denon for a couple of months and i can't get a really good sound out of it, the sound is very flat compared to playing a track in media player and outputing via headphone jack. Iv'e tried all the settings but i still can't improve the sound.
heres my setup:
Advent laptop 1.73GHZ
2048 ddr11 533Ram
in VDJ main settings input none, output external mixer, soundcard asio driver, ultra latency unticked,
under performance tab 512(11ms) safe mode and overclocked unticked, lowpass filter selected, filter tap 11
in denon asio control panel the only thing i can alter is the audio buffer size and thats set at 1264(28ms) this is high but i find if i lower it the sound gets glithchy
hope someone can help thanks paul

Posted Sun 17 May 09 @ 6:39 am
Hi Paul,

You will find the sound from the HC-4500 "flat" as it is unequalized output. When you're playing from media player through the inbuilt soundcard there may be settings somewhere to equalize the output making it sound better. The HC-4500 outputs a flat signal which can then be adjusted on a mixer. That's the way it should be.
Depending on the skin you're using, VDJ will let you change bass, mid & treble to suit. You can always just use the HC-4500 as a controller and assign a different sound card if you wish, however the one in the HC-4500 is pretty good.

If using Asio output, set the latency in VDJ as "auto" as the actual adjustment is done on the Denon Asio control panel. You can play about to get the best setting, but my laptop (and my el cheapo netbook) both work fine on 4ms (188 frames). You will need to restart VDJ after every change to hear the difference.

To be honest, Advent laptops are budget models. I know a lot of people who have problems with laptops like that, so that may be why you are getting sound glitches. Are you running XP or Vista?

Keith

Posted Mon 18 May 09 @ 7:32 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)