Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: CD question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I was cruising through the manual and noticed that a CD in your CD drive would play just like files that were downloaded.

Great! Now I don't have to download everything, I can still use CDs thru VDJ. Tested it today and it worked.

Now I want to play multiple CDs in a row from my one CD player. This seems to work because (I assume) VDJ is loading the tune in to some sort of virtual/temp memory.

My question is, what are the limitations, if any, of the CD player & VDJ? Could I play the whole night just from CDs? They do sound better than MP3 files.

How does this process work?

Thanks.

PS - For those who read my post in the "suggestion box" re: Ripper, this is where it would be beneficial if the VDJ ripper were to give info.

PSS - This software is amazing!

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 4:40 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
There is no limit you can play all the time from your CD players.
VDJ load the (de)compressed file into RAM for each track.
If you play from audio CD's it simply load the files.

It's easier to extract your CD to your HD before using VDJ to be able to make searches from database but if you want to play from CD all the time there's no problem.

Normally the non-used RAM is considered by tour OS as a free RAM space. So it's the same thing to load from your CD player than extracted (compressed or not) tracks.

(Sorry if I'm wrong but my first language is not english.)

;;; and you're right ... This software is amazing.

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 9:47 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Maybe the sound will be better because of no compression.
The audio tracks are extracted as "wave" files in memory.
BUT, you need a really reliable cd-rom unit to trust. I usually avoid to insert/change cd's on the fly, because i had very bad experiences with cd/dvd-rom devices in the past.
A single "lock up" in the cd-drive can crash the whole system...

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 1:16 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I have no problem with cd: open the cd-rom player after song is loaded into VDJ and put a new one without problem

Posted Mon 07 Mar 05 @ 7:24 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I didn't meant problems with virtual dj (besides i dont use audio cd's now) but general problems with some bad cd-rom units like system lock-up and crashes.
It was not virtual dj or windows but -hardware- problems.

Posted Tue 08 Mar 05 @ 3:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)