Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Searching for song in VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NazDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have been trying to make the switch from Serato to VDJ over the last couple of months. The one thing I can't figure out is the search feature in VDJ, I am so used to Serato.

When I look for a song, for example the killers - human. i type human (hit space bar) killers. Human shows up but when I start to type killers no songs show up at all.

Is VDJ capable of searching like serato? Can someone provide a suggestion. I have added folder to DB, scanned all tags.

Any help would be appreciated.

Naz

Posted Mon 09 Mar 09 @ 9:32 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Searching for artist does work. Double check the spelling.
Then see if by some chance there is a space before the first letter
of the artist. I have found a few that had a space before the first letter
in which case it won't find it correctly.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 9:51 am
NazDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I think I need to better explain myself.

I have serato and when doing a search, I can type in an artist or song or version of a song and it brings up a variety of songs to choose from. I can even type more info into the search bar and it will narrow down my choices even more.

Using VDJ, when I type in an artist, for example Jason Mraz I get about 20 different songs. Now I want to narrow down the choices because 20 songs come up. When I continue to type after typing Jason Mraz, for example jason mraz lucky.

As soon as I type the letter L for lucky all song choices disappear. I then back space to remove the L and all of Jason's song reappear. Is their a way to narrow down a song using the exact search string. Is their a setting that I have to change.

Thanks

Naz

Posted Wed 11 Mar 09 @ 8:22 pm
Artist search works just fine for me. In the browser tab view, you will have the search box and to the right a circle with a dot in the middle. Click on it and put a check by the fields you wish to search. VDJ/Cue will remember which fields you select to be in your search criteria.

For me I have "Title", "Artist", and "Filepath." I tend to find everything I need when I am performing. Depending on how you rip CDs or store MP3s, the File Path will search folders and file name in the full file path name. Therefore much more to find vs just the file name of the file.

I hope that helps.

I am really curious to hear your comparison of Serato vs VDJ/Cue in a post sometime. I could not be happier and have been using it for 1.5 yrs now, and I am just now getting adventurous with MIDI devices and such. CRAZY!

Posted Wed 11 Mar 09 @ 8:23 pm
No, you still are not getting it. When you type the title and artist in the search box, all the search results go blank. Apparently, VDJ will not allow narrowing of search results by typing more information in the search box. In VDJ, you can only type in either the Artist OR the Title, but not both, in the search bar.

Posted Wed 11 Mar 09 @ 10:21 pm
legaldeejay wrote :
No, you still are not getting it. When you type the title and artist in the search box, all the search results go blank. Apparently, VDJ will not allow narrowing of search results by typing more information in the search box. In VDJ, you can only type in either the Artist OR the Title, but not both, in the search bar.

Okay, sorry. Got a solution for you to try. If you are typing random tidbits of search criteria use typical search wildcards such as an asterics*.

Example:

Madonna*Miles Away will return all mixes in your library for Madonna's Miles Away.

The trick is in the file name Madonna must preceed Miles Away. When I tried Miles Away*Madonna I didnt get any search results. It may not be a total equal to what you are used to but maybe something to play with.

Posted Thu 12 Mar 09 @ 12:08 am
Hmmm, I tried that and it does not work for me with the latest version

Posted Thu 12 Mar 09 @ 5:02 am
legaldeejay wrote :
Hmmm, I tried that and it does not work for me with the latest version

make sure you have filepath selected as one of the searchable fields (that is the lil circle with the dot and has check marks on the list.

Posted Thu 12 Mar 09 @ 8:09 am
OK, now it works. Thanks

Posted Thu 12 Mar 09 @ 9:30 pm
I have the same issue. It would be much more convienient to use keywords to find a song. If I'm looking for Turn Your Lights Down Low i get a few different choices. If i only want the Bob Marley ft. Lauryn Hill version I could just use keywords Bob and Hill and it should pop up. It works like that using Windows but not when i switched to Mac.

Posted Fri 07 Aug 15 @ 5:30 am
This topic is 6 years OLD!
Search has changed drastically since then. Now any word you type is used as keyword from ANY part of the search fields you have enabled.

Posted Fri 07 Aug 15 @ 9:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)