Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: USB Hubs

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I know it is not the optimal thing to do; however I just bought a new laptop I intend to begin using as a primary for performances. My old one I will use as back up and live set recording. The thing is, my old laptop had 4 USB ports, and my new only only as 3.

This is the configuration I have had and would like to continue to have:
DMC2 - USB
DJIO - USB
Korg NanoPad - USB
MS Wireless Mouse - USB

I can ditch the mouse if need be, but I am so much faster with a mouse than the touch pad. And in a pinch, you need the speed.

My question is, has anyone had any success using any of the above devices with VDJ/Cue via a USB Hub (powered or not?) My new hard drive is the same save @ 320gb, so plenty of room there. I do not anticipate needing an external unless I start using videos at some point in the future.

Thoughts and tips welcome!
Thanks!
Chad

Posted Sun 08 Mar 09 @ 3:17 pm
I would get a powered hub, that's for sure. I would also test the crap out of it and be sure to pair the two "least used" devices. Doesn't your laptop have a trackpad for a mouse?

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 1:26 am
I have just gone from an old laptop with 4 USB ports to a new laptop with 3 USB ports 3 weeks ago.

I use a 7 port external USB Powered hub. One point, my Vestax VCI-100 will NOT work from the powered hub and must be connected to the laptop directly.

This is my current USB setup;

Laptop USBs;

1. Vestax VCI-100
2. Connection to 7 port hub.
3. Maxtor 500Gb external hard drive.

Powered USB Hub;
1. Laptop cooling plate (only needs power, no data).
2. PC to TV Convertor (only needs power, no data).
3. Digital Video Camera input.
4. Native Instruments AK1 sound card.
5. USB infra-red mouse.
6. (free)
7. (free)

I am currently converting all my Video VOB files on the external 500Gb hard drive to AVIs stored on the internal 320Gb hard drive. When finished I should be able to use the internal hard drive for gigs and not need the external Maxtor hard drive.

It would then also be possible to connect the sound card and camera directly to the laptop if I stopped using the external mouse and used the laptops touch pad (it has a quick scroll area too). That would mean no data through the powered hub, only power for the cooling plate and the PC to TV Convertor. Dunno if I'll do this as I like the fast operation of the external mouse, will give it a try tho.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 8:09 am
djpoopypants wrote :
I would get a powered hub, that's for sure. I would also test the crap out of it and be sure to pair the two "least used" devices. Doesn't your laptop have a trackpad for a mouse?

Yes, it does have a touch pad and it is fairly nice. However it still takes longer to get from point A to B vs. my USB wireless mouse.

I may get a hub and just test it out. The Mouse and Korg NanoPad are probably the best candidates; however I will have to see if the Korg is supported over a Hub. That way I know the two core pieces of the setup, DMC2 and DJIO are always direct to the Laptop.

Also, a little external hard drive tip I picked up. When you go to buy, look for hard drives with a 5 yr warranty from the manufacturer. These are the hard drives that are professional grade, and meant to do more than just 1 or 3 backups a week. The Seagate Agents are fantastic for DJs I have found. Not only are they pro grade and affordable, they come with really nice sync software. The sync can be setup to create an exact copy of all your music/video folders on to the external. You can then hook that external up to another laptop, run the same sync, and it will sync it all up.

Thanks for the replies.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 8:55 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)