Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Mapper

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I got my total control back today after sending it in for repairs and was looking around the vdj site and came across the mapper for the total control,excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but could someone explain what the purpose and functions of a mapper is ?

thanks

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 3:36 pm
If you download it - there is a PDF file enclosed which explains the features.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 3:51 pm
right but since i just got my total control back after a few months of trying to get it to running i want to make sure this isnt gonna change things that would cause problem with the total control

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 3:53 pm
You should be able to donwload the pack without installing it - thus enabling you to read the PDF.

If it does install it is only a mapper through the software and doesnt change anything on the total control itself. If you didnt like it you just delete the "KC0" file which will be in My Documents---->VirtualDJ--->Devices.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 4:33 pm
thank you much appreciation

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 6:45 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
A mapper is a file that alters or specifies the configuration for a controllers functionality within VirtualDJ.

It can take one of two forms:

* An XML file, which is a very basic MIDI map for a controller, implementing basic control functionality. This is basically the same as using the MIDI learn function, then saving that as a file. Presently an XML MIDI map has no support for output in any way, and no support for button combos either (unless supported by the hardware ie sending a different MIDI note for a combo).

* A DLL file, which is a custom mapper built using the Virtual DJ SDK, allowing full control of the hardware, LEDs and displays. It can be extremely advanced - see JP Boggis mappers for a prime example of flexibility and configurability!

Posted Sat 28 Feb 09 @ 11:45 pm
thank you for the info

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 12:30 am
yourtPRO InfinityMember since 2003
OK.... so: hardware sends a note when pushing button X. I translate that note, like:

** LOOPS
<note note="22" action="loop" chan="1" value="4" />
<note note="23" action="loop_exit" chan="1" />
<note note="14" action="loop" chan="1" value="25" />
<note note="15" action="loop" chan="1" value="50" />
<note note="16" action="loop" chan="1" value="1" />
<note note="17" action="loop" chan="1" value="2" />
<note note="18" action="loop" chan="1" value="4" />
<note note="19" action="loop" chan="1" value="8" />
<note note="20" action="loop" chan="1" value="16" />

How do I get to find out the values I have to give? Virtualdj autolearn tells me?
I understand note 17 is activation started by the button on the hardware that states "2" for beat length... similar to Virtualdj setup.
But "value=25" for not 14???

And what about the ctrl messages and the midi channels used?? I don't get it why 4 channels are used? seems channel 4 has to do with browsing and all, and it might be to leave room for extra's and keep it sorted out.... then again: each channel has 128 notes and ctrls and all....???

Like:

<note note="9" action="goto_cue" chan="1" value="1" />
<note note="9" action="play" chan="1" value="temporary" />

So hopefully midi out is coming soon (and I'll probably be able to download a fully supportive midi map thanks to guys like Pierre yves, or I can give it a try (learning about those commands until that time).

Posted Mon 30 Mar 09 @ 6:26 am
yourt wrote :
How do I get to find out the values I have to give? Virtualdj autolearn tells me?

It will normally tell you in the help text of the action you have selected in the general MIDI mapper (E.g: If you select 'loop' from the actions list (As above)), you will see the help text for loop.

NOTE: You should use CONFIG -> General MIDI -> Config... to load and edit the mapping via the mapping interface in the VirtualDJ. Editing the file directly by hand is not advisable (Unless you have advanced knowledge of the mapping format.)

yourt wrote :
I understand note 17 is activation started by the button on the hardware that states "2" for beat length... similar to Virtualdj setup.
But "value=25" for not 14???

Values 50, 25 and 125 are special cases for 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 loop lengths respectively. These are used because the value of the action must be a whole number (Integer.)

yourt wrote :
And what about the ctrl messages and the midi channels used?? I don't get it why 4 channels are used?

It depends on the hardware. Some MIDI controllers may send all their notes (Buttons) and CC's (Knobs/sliders) on one channel.

Others may use MIDI channel 0 for deck 1, channel 1 for deck 2, channel 2 for the mixer controls, etc. If the controller has SHIFT buttons, these may also change to an alternative MIDI channel.

NOTE: Each MIDI channel can support a maximum of 128 notes and 128 CC's, so if the controller has more than this (Or more with modifiers such as SHIFT buttons), different channels must be used.

Posted Mon 30 Mar 09 @ 1:53 pm
Hello virtual dj version 5.2.1 is simply 10, but I still see that she is necessary to give one improved in something, example: I use bcd2000, but only proble that I see that needs to improve is, serious, average, the acute one and profit, I noticed that is very sensible, when regulates a degree the times it destorce, then she is necessary to improve this. a time that better serious, average, acute and the profit finished, virtual dj goes to be optimum, why when it moves in the serious a quality is bad….

Posted Sun 10 May 09 @ 12:10 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I'm guessing you used a translator for that post, since it makes absolutely no sense I'm afraid :(

Posted Sun 10 May 09 @ 1:26 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I think that translator program needs an update or something! :0

Posted Sun 10 May 09 @ 8:24 pm
i have the denon HD2500 and how i setup the mapper i really confus

Posted Tue 02 Jun 09 @ 12:37 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)