Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Please help needed bpm detection

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

logic54Home userMember since 2005
Hello I have used mixmeister to scan for bpms as it automaticly adds it to the mp3 tags. I then load virtual dj and play it and virtual dj automaticly changes the bpm. I was wondering if I can disable bpm's in virtual dj so it will keep the bpms of my mp3s that mixmeaister finds. Also is mixmeister the best for bpm detection program? From what I have gatherd on the net it is one of the best for detecting bpms. However sum of my slow r&b soul songs are like 120 bpms when they are actually only 72 bpms. Is there anyway to fix that. Basicly I want all the true bpms of my songs on virtual dj as Im a dj mixer and load songs like every minuete for my mix. I cant tap bpms for all my songs because I flip threw hundreds on a set and have thousands of mp3s any help would be greatly appreciated.

Logic

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 12:56 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You will find that VirtualDJ is more accurate than MixMeister

And no you can not turn-off VirtualDJ's BPM detection.

And if you invested in VirtualDJ and not use a crack ... you would know this by now.

Posted Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 12:59 pm
logic54Home userMember since 2005
Ohh why is virtual dj giving me differant bpms then is it that hard too get all your mp3s in right order of bpms? Sorry im new to this and am using a demo are you saying if I purchase it reads bpms better? Ohh and sorry about other post I didnt relize I posted it lol.

Thanks Logic

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 9:50 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
logic54 wrote :
Sorry im new to this and am using a demo are you saying if I purchase it reads bpms better?

No it shouldn't,

Once VirtualDJ scans your files and works out the BPM and so on, then thats it.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 10:15 am
BUT you can always change them after the scan is done.

Posted Sun 01 Mar 09 @ 10:04 pm
cstoll wrote :
You will find that VirtualDJ is more accurate than MixMeister

This is simply not true. Sorry. I use both products, and I often find myself having to use MixMeister's BPM analyser to get them right, especially with DNB and Bmore tracks. Moreover, VDJ likes to screw up BPMs at the 60/120 area, as I've mentioned before on these forums.

I am happy the product does video, but there are so many problems with it in terms of these little things that I can't help but see myself switching to Serato video soon.

Posted Fri 06 Mar 09 @ 5:10 pm
You can manually set the bpm for any track by either entering the numbers in, or selecting two points and entering how many beats between those two points.

The beauty of vdj is you can tweak pretty much anything. If you're not willing to make any effort to learn the program and just want the basics, you're right, Serato might be a better option for you.

Posted Sat 07 Mar 09 @ 9:00 pm
musicalcheers wrote :
You can manually set the bpm for any track by either entering the numbers in, or selecting two points and entering how many beats between those two points.

The beauty of vdj is you can tweak pretty much anything. If you're not willing to make any effort to learn the program and just want the basics, you're right, Serato might be a better option for you.

I've been using the program for well over two years. I know how to use the damn software. It doesn't make a damn difference HOW the program automatically scans the BPM, it simply _does not do it right_ most of the time, especially in the 60/120 range. And I'm not the only one who has this problem - please see the thread I started about this EXACT problem. I'm sick and tired of the fact that I spent a lot of money on this software and, not only does it work improperly, but there is little to no help from Atomix to support their product. Don't talk down to me because I'm pissed off that the CS for this software is weak at best.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 1:25 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Put your dummy back in your mouth ;)

BPM detection is always an issue - I've found VirtualDJ to be one of the better, especially in later versions. Yes, it detects DnB as half, but it only takes a second to fix that. BPMs below 80 are disabled by default.

No BPM detection algorithm is perfect, not even MixMeisters. I can find plenty of tracks in my library that MMF+V gets wrong as well.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 5:19 am
The issue isn't that DnB tracks get messed up - I don't think I even have more than 10 in my library - it's that songs in the 120 BPM range (The Sweet Escape, Supermassive Black Hole as two examples) that end up wrong. These are really easy songs to figure out the BPM to. The software used to be able to handle it. Why not anymore>

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 12:44 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Yes, it detects DnB as half, but it only takes a second to fix that.

Takes a lot longer than that unfortunately, until Virtual DJ has the ability to select multiple tracks and then modify the BPM /*2. Maybe Virtual DJ should be able to make an intelligent guess whether the BPM should be 170 and not 85 based on the Genre tag.

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 1:35 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I cheated, and edited them programatically in the XML based on folder and/or genre ;)

Posted Tue 10 Mar 09 @ 6:09 pm

I have had 1 track in my whole library, where all mixes from that 1 remixer all came up at an extremely slow BPM (ie 120 vs 130.) I think since it was tribal with a heavy tom tom, it messed up its analysis. Since I used this track a lot when I used CD players, I knew the tempo was 130. I then did the following to correct and it was perfectly find at after that.

Load the track on to the deck
click the BPM button for that deck (located at the top to the left/right of Automix.)
On the edit BPM tab, enter the BPM you know is true for that track, and then click "okay"

As someone mentioned earlier, you can also edit the phasing of the beat grid or manually capture a section of the song and manually tell the software how many beats occured in that window. It will then calculate the BPM based on that manual input you provide. The point they were trying to make with the "if you just want the basics go with Serato" was those other software programs will not even give you those tools to correct the short falls of the BPM analyzer. At least VDJ/Cue does give you a way you can correct it and make use of the visual grid.

What it comes down to with any software package is which one has the fewest querks you can live with. Therefore, I would do my research with Serato and Traktor and heavily test their BPM ability on their demo before you make your decision. You may find it reads 80% of your library better, but no way to correct that 20%. So which would you prefer, a method to get you to 100% or a solution you have get 80% but limp forever along with that 20%?

Posted Wed 11 Mar 09 @ 12:03 am
I have been a DJ for years and I know that the digital community has tried for years to solve the most basic issue it's BPM dummy all music is timing if you can't solve that almost everything else is a waste of time.Solve the issue stop talking about it ATOMIX maybe you should change your name.

Posted Wed 06 Apr 16 @ 4:47 am
In future, please do not dig up very old threads. Make a new post instead.

There's no 100% foolproof way for any kind of automatic BPM counter to get every track right. Even humans find it hard to tell sometimes.

For instance, some people will say that dubstep is 70bpm and others will say it's 140bpm. In a way, both are correct. The tempos are compatible.

There are other failings for automatic counters too, such as variable bpm.

Posted Thu 07 Apr 16 @ 5:11 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)