Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Why I stopped use the DJ Console

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I recently have come to conclusion that the soundcard in the Console sucks. The quality of the sound is poor. My friend who also uses software (still Atomix, thanks to the Magic Button) have a extarnal Sound Blaster Audigy 2 with USB interface. I had the chance to test it on my setup, and the difference between the two are remarkable. However, the Console's function as a controller is still handy. The jogwheel and the pitch rod are useful.
Any comments?

Posted Thu 24 Feb 05 @ 9:21 am
just one comment :
make a google search on terms "DAC" "ADC" and "signal/noise ratio" and u'll better understand what that "24bit/106dB" printed on the console means...... it means that the sound quality of the Dj console is far more superior to all the creative crap around... better cards are Emu's new ones , but not Creative ones.. any of them....
I ve been into music producing since early '90s and i ve got all the "pro" gears by CreativeLabs , starting with the SbAwe32 with 8mb of onboard sample ram to the audigy and they all but the awe64gold share the same problem : too much noise on the output signal.....
DjC's DaC and AdC are some of the better "non Pro" hardware avalaible around and that gives the djc a far better signal , more sound quality and better spatial separation.
Some Audigy2 revisions output a louder signal then the Djc, but not a "better" one.....
If u really want to go deep into it, just donwload any audio tester (like rightmark analyzer) and do a few tests by yourself..... numbers are easyer to understand sometimes....
Just my 2 cents
D_S

Posted Thu 24 Feb 05 @ 3:30 pm
D_S is right i use the console in a club and the sound is excellent.
So it could be something else?
Andre

Posted Thu 24 Feb 05 @ 9:26 pm
I'm goin to have to agree with these guys. the sound quality of the HDJC is right on point. I seriously don't think the sound quality could be any better at the price point this piece is offered at.

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 8:54 am
Thanks for the comments. There are obviously more into this issue than I expected. The thing is, that the difference between the 2 were significant. You can notice a more clear and crispy sound with SB card, only by hearing this. I have used the console on dj sets for a year now, and I have suspected that the quality differs from other soundcards. For example, I connect the computer and the console to available connections on a external mixer, so I have the option of playing CD's. And there first I noticed the difference on the audio. I were interesting if there were other people who had come up with the same conclusion. I think more tests is a good idea. Thanks!

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 6:11 pm
Did that test, and I compared it with the internal soundcard (since I don't have access to that external SB card). I conducted the test as follows:

Playback only @ 16bit/44.1khz with both soundcards (Realtek AC97 Audio and Hercules DJ Console)

Fr. Resp., DB: +0.00, -0.00 (BOTH)
Noise Lvl. dBA: -97.8 (RT97) -97.7 (DJC)
D. Range, dBA: 97.7 (BOTH)
THD, %: 0.0003 (BOTH)
Intermod, %: 0.0037 (BOTH)
Stereo crosst., dB: 98.7 (RT97) -99.2 (DJC)

This tells me, well, not that much. I hope someone else can come up with a nice conclusion :)

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 6:46 pm
You know it could be something to do with your cables.....connections?Do you use standard or pro cables?
just a guess
Andre

Posted Fri 25 Feb 05 @ 11:53 pm
... :|
Regular cables such as these:
http://svalander.se/shoppen/mon/D061890A.jpg
There wouldnt be a difference if I use the same cables to connect to a dual CD player, would there? But the difference is there despite the choise of cables.
The figures of the console is however impressive, but they dont match with the reality.

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 9:45 am
Djc should be used @ 48000 .... so tests should be done @ 48000 , 44100 is a compat mode, not native....even with latest firmwares... thats cause the usb bus has a 48000 clocked signal, Latency in 44100 are lot higher in fact....
With a Abit NF7 i can use Fruity loops 5 ( all the demos ) with the asio latecy set to 2 ms if 48000 , 20 is the minimum if 44100... that should be enough to show that 44100 isnt DJC preferred setting ....
A big difference is also in the "LINE IN" quality... try to rip from a turntable and u'll easily notice that.....( dont connect any mixer btw, turntable straight into DJC and software Riaa) .
Thats cause the whole "Line In" pipe is phisically separated from the outs, Creaf boards have a software routing instead...In fact u cant record the OUT signal routing it, the only way is to phisically connect the out and ins with a rca cable......
DJC has a few flaws, thats sure ( newer revisions seems to be ok though) but not the sound quality... thats sure...
Just my 2 cents, again...
D_S

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 4:32 pm
I forgot to mention a thing... run tests in loopback mode ...
D_S

Posted Sat 26 Feb 05 @ 5:18 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)