Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Why does the music skip when you record? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, finally I recorded a 30 minute or so mix. I recorded it to mp3 (I felt this would be more of a challenge to the system than a wav file). I also recorded it to my C: drive which is where my opperating system resides, and VDJ also.
I didn't go to any extremes to shut stuff down. ICQ is open, and I even checked my e-mail durring the mix session. I'm playing it back now. I'm about 20 minutes through it, and it's sounding just fine. No skips, no glitches, no errors.
My computer isn't bad, but it's no super computer.
it's a P-4 1.8g with 512 of cheap generic ram.
Please don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting that you don't have a problem, I'm just thinking that VDJ isn't the whole problem.
I still haven't seen posts from other users with the same problem.
What are your system specs?
I will say that my computer is a fully home built machine. With a clean install of all the software I use. It didn't come with dozens of oem commercials running.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 5:54 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
>Anyway after all the fustration I did tune up my PC, defragged it and it runs better than before and I also found...

You defrag only when you have a VDJ problem? :) I would hate to be your HDD :)

Anyway, one more thing about HDD. Check if UDMA 5 or 6 is enabled.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 6:37 pm
Hey Redman247

I've tried nscode advice on using RamDisk and all that did was crash my system. I will continue to work on my Hard drive issues.

I have mentioned earlier about how I thought I found a solution to my problem by using another software to record my mixes. Although it was great the first time around and I had no skips, the problem crept up again when I was recording another session. It skipped 2nd time around.

And I didn't use VDJ to record the session.

Oh, well. I'm fustrated as hell, bit I'll keep pursuing untill I fix it.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 7:49 pm
Well DJ Rick,

I must be the only one with this problem. I too have a system i've built. It's a XP 1800 with 1mb of ram and 2 sound cards.

2 hard drives. One where the operating system is on is at 80gigs and the other at 26gigs.

I got the 26gig drive for just the music stuff alone. Anyway I do have them both attached to the same ribbon cable.

Would that be something to look into?

I'll still keep looking for a solution.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 7:59 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
Yes, it could effect performance, try sepparating them, but make sure that the cables are Ultra ATA 66 compatible.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 8:58 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
And also try doing a small recording using one sound card only..
Choose that option in the sound configuration

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 10:04 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
in fact I was using 1 soundcard straight to the speakers with my mix test. No headphones, no mixer. I have 2 120 gig drives. 1 is partitioned, but the opperating system is on that one and virtualDJ is in the default loaction. The 2nd 120 gig drive is about full of music files. I don't know what else to tell you. atomix-fr skin, automix set to none, all other auto's enabled, beatlock set to rigid, tooltips enabled, pitchrange 12%... think that's about all the variables. I do have 256 of video ram, but I don't think that'd make the difference.

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 10:49 pm
I saw your problem that you posted, so I tried a recording. To start off with, I'm using a 1.8 AMD athlon, 512 corsair platinum ram, 37gb 8MB buffer 10,000rpm SATA C: drive, 40gb 2MB buffer 7200rpm D: drive, 120gb 5200rpm 2mb buffer external USB2.0 Z: drive (All Western Digitals), Asus A7V8X motherboard (good quality), and some CD and DVD drives. I used VDJ 1.05 and didn't turn any programs off. When I used VDJ to play mp3's off my D drive and write the wave file to the D drive as well, I heard no skips in the wave file. I then had VDJ play mp3's off the Z drive as well as record the wave file to the Z drive (this is a USB2.0 external), I heard no skips in the wave file. USB2.0 has a max data rate of 400megabits/sec, which is 50MB per sec (theoretically of course), which is even less than any 5200rpm drive connected to an IDE cable.

I was thinking... It has been a long time since the days where you had to worry about so many nit-picky things such as closing programs and keeping your screen saver from running. Anyways, I was surprized when you listed you were running a 1.8ghz machine, especially with all the ram. I have no experience running two sound cards at once, so I couldn't tell you much about that. I might try disabling one of them completely from control panel and trying it again.
One more thing that comes to my mind may be that your BIOS settings are off. I don't know what kind of RAM you have, but I'd start with the ram timings... I'm just taking a stab, but you may have set your timings too fast for your RAM. Mine are something like 6-6-2 or 6-2-2 (I forget how many two's and sixes there are), but these are fast settings. Unless you bought premium RAM like me, yours should look more like 7-3-3 or something like that. Check your other settings too, maybe try resetting to safe values, cause a 1.8 should complete this project with its eyes closed. Oh yeah, update your drivers too (especially your 4in1 VIA drivers, your video card and your sound card drivers, and don't depend on the windows update site having the latest drivers for your hardware.) And don't forget to try disabling one sound card completely.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 03 @ 4:25 am
A few more notes:
I noticed you said your comp crashes with Ramdisk... This would seem to point to either misconfigured Ram settings (in BIOS) or bad ram... so try the timing thing, then the soundcard thing, then (if your Ram isn't all on one stick), take some sticks of RAM out and try recording (and swap sticks if you get the same result). Final thing... your C: drive isn't almost full is it? And do you either have a large virtual memory setting (I think its supposed to be 1.5 times your RAM) in control panel/system/advanced/performance?

Posted Wed 08 Oct 03 @ 4:38 am
I have experienced similar issues, kind of.

Although I currently use AtomixMP3(moving to Virtual DJ soon, pending pricing issues,) I believe the theory to be the same.

I am running an IBM Thinkpad with an Intel 440BX chipset, P3 800m, 384MB PC-100 RAM, 20GB 4200RPM hard drive, ATI Rage Mobility video, and on board stereo sound card. All running Win 2K SP4 with the latest updates from Windows Update.

I agree with DJ Rick, I have *never* had a problem performing a mix live, no skipping, crashing, etc... I do shut down all services/tasks before playing just to be safe. I have on occasion recorded some of my mixes. Sometimes they are almost error free, sometimes I hear a fair number of skipping. So far, I haven't been able to figure out exactly what causes it. But my recorded mixes are for me, not for distribution, so I don't care much.

My suggestion to anyone who is serious about recording a mix, is to use another computer. I do not think this is an aspect of the software, more of the hardware. Possibly if you had a second sound card for input, and another hard drive for the recording, then it might be ok. One thing that might be kinda cool, Traktor does this, is to record the information about a set, i.e. which tracks were played, how they were played/mixed... and then you can re-create the mix auto-matically. Not a vital feature for me, but would be kinda neat.

The worst mix I recorded was going out into a mixer, then coming back into the line-in and being recorded with Cool-Edit Pro 2, straight into an MP3 file... but I think that is pretty obvious that I was trying to do too much at once there :)

Posted Wed 08 Oct 03 @ 10:20 am
Erf... didn't see the second page before posting...

DJ Groove, question about the other program you are using. Are you using a second program in the background to record the mix that Virtual DJ is outputting? And if so, which program are you using? I mentioned that I used Cool Edit Pro 2 and it caused *lots* of skipping, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Wed 08 Oct 03 @ 10:25 am
Ok wow...first off what kind of quaity does the mp3 plugin record at...EX.64 k bits/second or 320 etc.And what type of sound card u using and whats your pc specs...now one good thing about wav is that almost every music track is recorded as a .wav file then its over dubbed/edited/mixed agian or what ever the case maybe...Then once its done with all that its mastered and put on disc...as far as mp3 its just a standerd for the online music industry and listeners...so it cant be the file format your recording 2...next time try and make sure that all unused programs are shutdown and it really helps to have all your music organized and defrag when it all oraganized...and lasr off iff all else fells just tell people the cd got scrached...roflmas

god luck

p.s.9 times out of 10 its cause off your puter setup/hardware...good luck and lets us know if it keeps happening...MIXX ON...remember that its all about the specs at which you record and not the format you record in...EX.i think that CD quaity is 160 k bits/seconds at 44100 mhz

Posted Thu 09 Oct 03 @ 3:37 pm
hi dj groove

so how's your experiment with virtualdj?

i'm newly trying to use virtual dj. apparently, i encountered the same skipping problems. however, that problem was resolved. as of now, i'm trying to record a 1 hour mix. as i finished recording. i tried playing the 1 hour mix i did using winamp 5.0. unfortunately, when i was playing the 1 hour mix in winamp, the 1 hour mix only registered 22minutes. and as the mix was starting to play, the first song of the mix was skipping tremendously.

i'm using an ecs a907 desknote 533mhz processor, 256mb ram, partitioned 30gig hard drive with 3gig on drive c and 27gig on drive d and im running win xp pro.

by the way, i've tried using mixvibes, also. but then, i'm having hard time adjusting the gain control. unlike with virtual dj which has a real time auto gain control. moreover, i have to record the mix i did with a separate recorder, like jet audio. when i do record my mix with jet audio, the entire mix runs fine, except for the irregular "gain."

i have also used alcatech bpm-studio. since this software has an auto gain control, like virtual dj. but every time i try mixing sometimes the incoming song would suddenly stop, for no reason at all.

presently, i'm really attached with virtual dj, with its awesome interface and realtime scratching effects. and most of all, with its responsive technical support.

as of now, i have 1.07gig free space on my drive d, this is where i store my mix and my mp3.

and also, i'm from the philippines and its too heavy on the budget to keep on upgrading and buying equipment, with virtual dj's responsive technical support, i know there's still a tweak out there i could use.

furtherrmore, i'm a frustrated dj because I'm in a wheelchair. By way of information, I am Dodit del Rosario, 33 years old. My musical journey started during the eighties, the new wave era, the period where mobile disco reigned supreme. In the mid nineties, I tried to audition at Equinox disco here in the philippines. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to audition, because I was in wheelchair. As I was starting, I was using cassette tapes in mixing. Since vinyl records were a bit costly, at that time around mid eighties. I know its kinda hard to mix with cassette tapes. On the other hand, with my desire to become a dj, I had to use whatever resources I have. When new wave music subsided mid nineties I stopped for awhile. Because of the Equinox incident. However, when mp3s were introduced 2000, I resumed again collecting music.This time I'm no longer cassette tapes, vinyls, or cds. Presently I'm using my ECS laptop in mixing.

apparently i thought music was only a past time or a hobby. but when i saw that a deejay school will be opening here in the philippines. i took that chance.

at this point, i'm doing more research on what's the best dj mixing software. probably i found it. perhaps like my attitude, i have to use every means i can use to improve myself.

anyhow, i would like to try recording in wav format. but then i seemed to be lost. since i cannot record my mix in wav format. yes i know by changing the file type in the rec tab would automatically change the file format. however i seem to have locked the file type into mp3 and i could not get it back into wav format.

apparently, i have been trying to fix my virtual dj, these past few days. but i can't find my way out.

is there any solutions to this? i can't do a system restore. since dj coco indicated that doing this contributes to the skipping problems. presently, i've turned off my system restore.

anyway thats all for now.

and i hope to hear from you

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 9:28 am
I'm not 100% sure, but the demo version have some limitation

Maybe the option for wave recording is disabled in demo, not sure

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 12:18 pm
i am using the full version.

besides i would like to ask how do i enter my serial number.

when i first installed vdj. yes i could record into wav format. but when i was going around. i seem could not get it back to record wav format.

the only solution i know is to reformat my hard drive. is this possible solution? i would like to hear from you guys again.

thanks

Posted Sat 14 May 05 @ 4:44 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Your serial number should be encoded in your profile on this site.

Posted Sat 14 May 05 @ 7:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)