Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Why does the music skip when you record? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Ok, I have a problem. I've been doing mixes for a while and also recorded my mix session. Now as I'm mixing it sounds perfect, but when I hear the playback (after recording) there are areas in the session that sounds liked the music skipped in the proccess.

Why is that? It's really fustrating. Anybody with suggestions?

I saved it in a wav file, should I save it as an MP3 or other format? I haven't tried the other formats. I just thought wav was the better file to convert to a audio format to burn on CD.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 2:43 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
It could be that your HDD can't handle the amount of data that should be written at the same time when it is loading a song. If you use MP3 less data would have to be written, so it might help.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 6:20 pm
Thanks nscode, I'll try that.

You know you should go for a full version. With the advice your giving on this forum you can move up to a level 1 or so.

Anyway thanks for the advice.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 7:19 pm
Yea... espec. now, when my trial just went dry. We are not really into this "buying software" thing here in Serbia :) But VDJ is one prog I WOULD buy... If I only had the money :( I'm not sure my dad would give me half his pay to buy a few 1s and 0s. But I am writing an artical on PC DJ programs in a PC magazine (a, not The) here, so I hope to buy VDJ from that money, but the damn magazine people have no intention of paying in sooner that 3 moths, so I hope forum people will remamber what I do in that time here and give me credit for it later :)

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 8:13 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
DJGroove: Check if your hd has the dma option available..(is the direct memory access)
Also, is it NTFS or Fat32? since fat32 cannot record (or create) big files very well...

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 9:17 pm
Thanks DJ Coco,

I'll look into it.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 03 @ 9:51 pm
You know I've tied all the avenues as far as recording my mix sessions and when I use the other file formats it comes out worse than before.

Why does my music skip when I hear the finished product. It doesn't skip while playing it just when it's been recorded.

I've checked my hard drive and it's at NSTF. It's an 80 gig - 7200 Western Digital Hard drive on a AMD 1800 XP CPU with 1 gig of memory.

What the hell is going on. I've made tow fantastic mix sessions and now they sound like crap because tit skips once in every song.

Peice of shit.

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 2:01 am
DJ Groove;

A few suggestions and things to possibly check for.

1. You mention your HD as a WD 80 GB 7200 RPM, what is the amount of Cache you have on board for that drive (2mb or 8mb?)

2. When was the last time you defragmented your HD?

3. How many other processes do you have running in the background other than VDJ (i.e. firewalls, virus scanners, utils, ???)

Where all this questioning comes in to play:

If you are running too many services in the background this can sometimes slow your computers performance to a crawl, or at the very least mess with it enough when it is trying to do something a little intensive, you can check this in win2k/xp systems by hitting ctrl+alt+del and clicking on "task manager" if you are using XP then it should tell you which processes belong to whom (System, user) look carefully at the users processes before you start killing off processes at random, a good google search on kill windows processes should be able to aid you. If your hard drive hasn't been defragmented in a loooooong while it is possible that the heads are jumping around too much to make that quality recording that you are striving to get. Under win2k/winxp right click "My Computer" select "Manage", a windows should open up, you should see something that says "Computer Management (Local)" expand this by clicking on the (+) symbol, you should see a few more selections, click on the "storage" selection and you should see yet a few more selections, click on the "Disk Defragment" Selection. This should open up a side pane to your right select the drive you wish to defrag my simply clicking on it, then near the bottom of this pane should be two buttons "analyze" and "defragment" click defrag and wait a bit another message should come up telling you either your drive needs defraging or it doesn't. Also if your drive hasn't been defraged in a while or you have too many processes running, or both, having a small HD Cache may have a play in it. To find out what it is , simply reboot your machine and check out the numbers that are associated with your drive when it pulls up (Before the O.S. Splash screen) Something like Maxtor 7875543VB. Or go in to your systems BIOS after boot up. Then go to your manufactures website a look for a specification sheet for it. Or if you still have the original documentation that came with your computer, look there.

Last:

I am not aware of how computer literate you are, and this response is in no way was meant to be insultive if you are (computer literate). I am merely trying to be helpful, and I am hoping something in this long winded garble can help you with your situation.

Best of luck!

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 8:40 am
Hmmm... you've got alot of RAM there so we can use a trick to see if it really is a HDD problem. You can make a RAM drive, let's sey 200 mb. Make a small mix of a few songs on it. If it skips even there, it is definitly not the drive.

To get a program for a RAM disk, try http://www.superspeed.com/ramdisk.html

To check if it is the background processes, try a little mix in Windows Safe Mode (on a normal HDD).

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 11:37 am
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I am computer litterate. So I take no insult to those who want to help. I build computers for a living as well as I'm a web graphic designer and developer.

So in short I know my way around. I will try all advice. Thanks to all those who helped.

I'll post my findings as well as solutions.

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 3:23 pm
Are you trying to listen to your mix through virtualdj?

What happens if you try to listen to your record using winamp?

What happens if you burn your mix into a cd?

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 4:06 pm
Well nscode, I've listen thru Winamp, Windows Media Player, Real One and have burned it on CD and it still has the skip.

It's in the recording. I've turned off every possible program that's running in the background. Still the same effect. There is still a skip when you hear it in the recording.

Annoying as hell. I'm spending way too much time on this problem.

Hey VirtualDj developers! Why not chime in and talk about this problem. Obviously you built it, can you figure it out?

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 7:20 pm
I didn't tell you to hear it in WinAmp, Coco did :)

Did you try my RamDisk trick?

Posted Wed 30 Jul 03 @ 11:10 pm
You know try as I might I've defragged my hard drive and followed Redman247 instructions to the letter and it still does not work.

I've changed fileformat and it doesn't work.

I've even used RamDisk XP pro and all that did is crash my PC.

I'm soooooo tired of dealing with this problem.

I just have to face the facts that VDJ is not quite there yet. And that I might have to wait a year or so before they get on the ball with their program.

I shouldn't have to deal with my PC systems when they are running top notch and VDJ is not.

Oh, well. I see that none of the programmers, or developers of this software never responded to my post.

I'd guess the all mighty dollar is more important then the customers, sigh :( Isn't that always the case.

Posted Thu 31 Jul 03 @ 11:48 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
HHmmm, I didn't post a responce to your question because I use Virtual DJ for (what I believe) it's intended purpose. I DJ with it live in front of people in bars, & pubs. I've been using it 4-6 times every week since it came out to provide music for people to enjoy and dance to. I've never tried to record a mix, nor do I care to. So, since I have no experience with the problem that you are having, I didn't comment on it.
All I know is that for the purpose of DJing, Virtualdj is working beautifully. I have not experienced a single skip, click, pause, or glitch since it was released. I see a lot of posts of people saying it's buggy, but as far as I'm concerned, it's essentially bug free for the uses that I need it for. Hundreds of users have purchased Virtual DJ. I have not seen many posts from other users with this question. (so, either they aren't having the problem, or like me they aren't recording a mix)
I will say that it seems to me that the very act of recording a mix would tend to be a real resourse hog. One thing you might try is saving the mix to a seperate hard drive from your music files, and your opperating system, and virtual DJ. Recording to the same drive will cause that drive to be working very hard on several different tasks at once, this might cause some skipping or pausing.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 03 @ 12:30 am
You know what DJ Rick, I haven't tried that yet. And I do have a seperate Hard drive. I'll give it a whirl.

I too use it live, but I like to record my sessions only because people request if I have a CD of my mix. That's why I record them.

But I haven't yet tried recording on another drive. Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully it will work. If not expect me to curse it to hell because the recording feature is what drove me to purchase it.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 03 @ 1:32 am
Hey DJ Rick, I've tried your advice on recording it on another hard drive and it still skips. And that drive is clean. Nothing on that drive. But I did a little experiment.

I've recorded using VDJ recording method and I also recorded from another source and the other source recorded fine.

I compaired them and the quality from the 2nd source was much better as well as no skips.

So all in all it turned out to be VDJ. You guys got to get on the ball. Although you might be the better DJ software out there. There are other programs that have a more stable recording platform than you do.

Anyway after all the fustration I did tune up my PC, defragged it and it runs better than before and I also found a better source for recording in the process. So I'd guess it's wasn't a total waste of time.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 03 @ 4:36 am
Hey Groove, What´s your sound card?
Besides, have you checked this:

Do you have an IRQ sharing conflicts?
IRQ sharing conflicts can cause numerous problems with digital audio playback such as Pops, Clicks, Stutters, Freezes, and Error Messages. IRQ stands for Interupt Request. For each CPU in a computer, there are 15 IRQs. Each device is assigned an IRQ by the Motherboard and/or Windows. In Windows 98/ME/2000/XP there is a utility called msinfo32.exe that is used to identify if your computer has an IRQ sharing conflict. Click on the START button and select RUN. Type in the word msinfo32.exe

* Turn off System Restore
* Turn off Visual Effects
* Reduce Graphics Acceleration
* Disable Background Applications from Startup

Hope it helps.

DJ Coco

Posted Fri 01 Aug 03 @ 5:17 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Many people have offered several different possible causes for this problem. However, no one has said that they have had the same problem. I'm curious if anyone else has tried recording their mix, and how it turned out.
I've been a bit busy these past several days, but in the next few days I hope to try to record a mix. I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted Sat 02 Aug 03 @ 12:26 am
@DJGroove, Have you tried the suggestion nscode made about a ramdisk? I would be curious to know how well it would record from there. (I will probably try it myself later). I also will try the regular record feature to see if it screws up on my systems as well. It does sound more & more like what DJ Coco is suggesting, that it is an IRQ resource sharing conflict. Which should be simple enough to fix, one step further than DJ Cocos suggestion: tell us you systems complete stats.

Good luck.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Mon 04 Aug 03 @ 10:24 am
56%