Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Song exists on hard drive but VDJ keeps losing it in db... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

So I've got a song on my hard drive - "Pour Some Sugar On Me". When I search for it in VDJ, it's not there. So I drilled down to the folder where it exists, right-clicked and chose "Add to Search DB". The song shows up for the rest of the night when I search for it. At the end of the event, I close VDJ properly and shut down.

The next day I start VDJ and search for the song, and again it's not there.

Any ideas of why this is happening? Thanks in advance.

Posted Wed 10 Dec 08 @ 7:28 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Same issue here. Any fix for this?
-David

Posted Fri 12 Dec 08 @ 1:16 pm
Me too, occasionally.
I'll add songs to the DB (although it is set up to auto add) and the next time I open VDJ they're not there.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 8:14 am
it desame thing here please if there is anyone who have any sugestion to this should let me know thanks.

Posted Mon 15 Dec 08 @ 9:02 am
i have to co sign this one as well. does it to me. actually just did it this weekend 4 times on 4 differetn songs. its frustrating the only this i real HATE about Cue is the folders/search feature. it takes me twice as long to find songs in cue than it did with final crash or serato. it def takes away from the performance when you waste time looking for songs you know you have used before.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 08 @ 8:38 am
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Yah I feel ya

I'm having the same problems, created a ticket just waiting for the magic bullet.
VDJ 5.2.1 pc ver.

Posted Tue 16 Dec 08 @ 2:06 pm
This is the very reason I am planning to switch from PCDJ Red 5.2 to VirtualDJ. If VirtualDJ is also having this problem, which I have not seen yet, I will be shopping somewhere else. So I hope somebody explains this problem and there is a fix. Perhaps it is a corrupt .xml file, or maybe the drive needs to be checked, cleaned and fixed under "Options", "Browser".

Posted Wed 17 Dec 08 @ 3:29 pm
I have also a problem with the database. All my files are scanned. They are on a local drive, but not on the system drive. I look into the browser and it says no tracks missing and no tracks hidden. Now i restard VDJ and it says for example: "385 files present but hidden from database". The only thing i've done is to start VDJ again. Now i must add my localdrive once again to the database, and all songs are avaible. Why are the tracks sometimes missing from the database?

Posted Thu 18 Dec 08 @ 1:49 am
Same problem. Really irritating! Any word on this yet?

I had a really bad experience with a song I needed for a Grand Entrance that vanished from the search. I don't want to be the guy who finds he has this problem right before a bride and groom's first dance. Who has time to search on the hard drive in the heat of a fast moving event.

I've Check'd, Fix'd, Clean'd, Recursed (and Cursed!) the database to no avail.

Posted Fri 20 Mar 09 @ 9:39 pm
DJ-Elliot wrote :
I have also a problem with the database. All my files are scanned. They are on a local drive, but not on the system drive. I look into the browser and it says no tracks missing and no tracks hidden. Now i restard VDJ and it says for example: "385 files present but hidden from database". The only thing i've done is to start VDJ again. Now i must add my localdrive once again to the database, and all songs are avaible. Why are the tracks sometimes missing from the database?

My problem is very similar, it always says "I have 3 saved old entries". I clean and fix, and that disappears, next time I open and check, that notation about the old entries returns.

Also, once in a while, seems to be when I use another HD or a usb drive hooked up at the same time as my main HD with the songs, I lose a bunch 0f "bpm and lengths" and I have to reanalyze. Where did the information go?

Twice, I lost an entire "virtual folder" from my laptop. I had to copy and paste that portion of the xml file from the saved xml file.

Seems that all of the above are dealing with a very touchy database mechanism that really needs to be fixed ASAP.
I mean at like a high-end wedding and these things happen, Ouch!

Posted Sat 21 Mar 09 @ 4:30 pm
salusPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Like others here, I can access song files on my hard drive and play them ok. But when I perform a search for them on VDJ, they don't appear. I've tried all the usual things such as reanalysing the missing songs; adding the song folder to the search DB; changing the ID tag options in configuration settings; etc - but still no good.

Before bothering the VDJ support area, has anyone figured out a solution to this "missing database songs" problem yet?

Posted Sun 12 Apr 09 @ 3:58 am
I have noticed this problem too. Recent gigs I have noticed songs missing from the database. Two steps come to mind whilst reading the comments is to use the fix it utility and then rescan.

Just reread the thread and note you tried this. Then its case of checking to see if the tags are currupted. What bugs me is that when i type in a song it wont show but when you type in the same but on the first couple of words it brings it up. I do hope this will be sorted with the in the new version.

Posted Sun 12 Apr 09 @ 5:19 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
chriso710 wrote :
is to use the fix it utility and then rescan.

Yes, we are aware of this issue for some of you. Can you try now in this order only:
1) Press the button "Fix"
2) Press the buttons "Check" + "Clean"

In clear, each time you want to clean your database, always push the button "Fix" before.

Then tell us if it changes something or not.

Posted Sun 12 Apr 09 @ 5:53 am
Thanks for this, DJCEL - but your suggestion doesn't solve the problem unfortunately. I had in fact already fruitlessly tried this possible solution, but it was worth trying again, just in case.

I estimate there are well over 100 songs on my hard drive that VDJ for some weird reason doesn't recognise. What's even stranger is that I'm sure that in the past, these songs were in fact recognised by the program, as I used to play them during my gigs. Take Abba's "Dancing Queen" for example - I used to play this a lot but hardly do anymore, because VDJ no longer says it's there - the same as a lot of other once popular played songs!

As stated, I've tried multiple other possible remedies, such as making sure all the song databases are added to search; playing around with the ID tags in case it was a tag issue with the songs; making sure the song files themselves play well and are not corrupted; etc etc.

Judging by the responses to this thread, this issue of disappearing (diminishing) databases is not a rare one.

Any other ideas would be welcomed, thanks in advance.

Posted Mon 13 Apr 09 @ 7:35 am

Another thing that happens to me is that once in a while (seems to be when I have a zip drive plugged in along with my main ext. HD of songs) the bpm info on almost all the songs in the regular database just disappear. I've had to rescan several times as a result. It messes things up as it now sees these rescanned files as "firstseen" set to 0 hr. Now my newsongs filter folder is full of old songs. This has happened more than once.

Anybody experience this one yet?

Posted Mon 13 Apr 09 @ 8:13 am
Further to my last message re this database problem, I should say that when all the missing songs in the databases are reanalysed (rescanned), this still makes no difference. That is, even though all the songs in the the hard drive have been successfully rescanned, when it comes to searching for them, VDJ fails to find them.

In short, VDJ can locate and identify the missing songs in order to analyse them, but when a routine search is afterwards made for them, Virtual DJ fails to locate them.

Posted Mon 13 Apr 09 @ 9:13 am
hello all, before start a gig, I use the "recurse" option, that's bring me most of my missing songs.
Hope this helps (sorry my bad english)

santosac46

Posted Tue 14 Apr 09 @ 10:19 am
Holy suffering suckotash, santosac46 - you've done it!

I followed your advice and pressed the "Reset to factory settings" option then bingo! - all the missing songs on my hard drive mysteriously had reappeared in VDJ search.

We should pass this information onto the VDJ technical department perhaps, that may help them resolve what the root of this baffling problem is. The question remains - why can VDJ scan a bunch of songs satisfactorily, but then find it impossible to locate them a little later when a routine search is made, even though they've been well & truly added to the search database?

Thanks again, santosac46.

Bye for now.

Posted Wed 15 Apr 09 @ 3:34 am
I continue to have this problem. I have noticed something about the files that dissapear. They are all songs that appear in one of my 'Virtual Folders' (unfortunately these are some of the most important songs).

A fix that sometimes works is browsing to my music folder and right clicking the option to add files to database. It will add the files back in and I don't need to re scan for BPM data. Unfortunately, it doesn't ease the frustration of have to do it over at random intervals.

Can anyone confirm that the songs that dissapear are only ones in your existing virtual folders?

Posted Fri 24 Apr 09 @ 1:35 pm
Well believe it or not I have had the similar problem for a long time too. If I don't find the song by title, I then try artist last name and 99.9% I find it. Strange that once I find it by artist last name the song title actually shows up properly in the title column. I have the 3 ID tag stuff in browser turned off. Anyone??

Funkmasterfrank

Posted Fri 24 Apr 09 @ 6:46 pm
59%