Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Custom Skins & Skin Engine - Page: 4

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

beatbreaker1 wrote :

So please can some one explain this new skin engine in "laymen" terms??

will be a wiki up with the Skin SDK..
but long long story short.. :

- the skin engine no longer uses masks, it uses transparency .. If you look at the skin image file for v8, its all transparent backgrounds in down graphics.
- you use <group> instead of panel to group elements .. .the elements within a group can inherit position from the parent group by using relative position ( x="+10")
- panel elements can also inherit position from parent panel (this way you can move around several buttons knobs etc by just reposition the parent group or panel)
- you can use <defines> for buttons/knobs that you re-use several times in the skin .. for example a hot cue button, or a button thats same on both decks.. etc
<define class="myCueBotton>
</define>
<button class="myCueButton><pos x="100" y="200 /></botton> (gets all the rest of the xml elements from the define , such as over, hover, down, up graphics etc..

And lots more.. .

Its probably a good start to look at default skin xml and image file.. with the above in mind, the logic might not be that hard..
(but sure, a full Skin SDK will come )

And as a side note, if you want to make your simple no pannel skin you mentioned, its of course perfectly fine to make the xml much the old way too, VirtualDJ 8 works with old skins. But the main thing to keep in mind, if you dont want to digg into v8 xml logics all yet, is the transparency part instead of masks.. with that in mind, you can code straight forwards the v7 way too, without defines, groups, etc etc

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 9:11 am
Its still got to be 4:3 and or 1280x1024 BECAUSE its a touch screen that ive had for a good few years but im not gonna change the monitor just because i cant find a skin to suit it.. I'd rather pull the widescreen skins apart and make my own, but theres not enough out just yet to allow me to do this.

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:02 am
will be plenty of skins made, and I'll try make a 4:3 one too ;)

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:51 am
A couple of thoughts on the default skin and minor changes or suggestions for possible skins (seemed like the best thread to post them in). I really disliked the previous default v7 skin and always used Rusty 4D Swap, so that may explain some of my perspective on some of these issues, but....

1) On the two and six deck mode, there is a ton of wasted space around the platter display. It would be nice if this space was being used a little better.
2) Considering the size of the area where you have the track time remaining in the top two corners, it would be nice if there was also an elapsed time. I know not everyone does, but I tend to keep an eye on both at the same time and switching back and forth is a huge pain in the ass. As I mentioned in point 1, there seems to be a lot of blank real estate on the screen, so I wouldn't think this to be a huge problem.
3) With many new controllers now coming with 8 cue pads, why only have 6 cues on the default skin? Again, lots of room - make it 8 to match the equipment people are likely to be using.

Overall I do like the look of the new skin - just a few thoughts on where some minor improvements could make it really stand out. Thanks guys!

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 4:22 pm
the "free space" is actually used, but we didnt want to clutter up too much.. so they are not showing by default..
but if you choose to view key adjust, have timecode, or line in, it fills up ...

more than 6 cues, maybe, but thats sort of what the remix mode in the sampler can be for... for the x8 trigger pad guys, with a trigger pad layout

Anyways, there are a gazillion different wishes, and personal preferences, and will be tons of skins available to download too, based on both default and your favorite Rusty 4D skin ;)

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 4:29 pm
its any one making a skin for v8 were video for decks is inside the jog wheels like the touch screen i saw awhile back in a expo if so
thank you in advance

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 5:26 pm
Look in the download section:

GreySheepHD
Altern8

:-)

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 5:28 pm
I looked in download then in skins and i still only see one v8 skin. I did a search for greysheep hd Nothing comes up. Maybe I am going to the wrong download section.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 12:06 am

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 12:31 am
Does the Tool, Skin Resizer work with Version 8 Skins or is there not going to be a use for it any longer?

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 8:56 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
No skin resizer needs to be used anymore.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 9:11 am
That's a matter for debate. :-)

Have you seen how VDJ 8 looks on small screens? How tiny, blurry and unreadable some of the elements are?

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 9:53 am
Then you my friend need to update........

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 10:11 am
Update what?

Some people don't want a laptop with a huge screen, or an overpriced fruity one with a very high res small screen.

It seems (from a look at retailers last night) that 1366x768 is the commonest current screen size for an "average" laptop.

Below that there are still gazillions of people using models they bought a few years back which still run perfectly fine TVM (if it ain't broke...).

VDJ 8 for Windows still supports XP. That's great, as there are still huge numbers of people using XP because it's reliable and it's mature.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 10:21 am
djtouchdan wrote :
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/187428/VirtualDJ_Skins/Virtual_DJ_8_-_Compatible_Skins.html

Thanks!

Keep em dancing

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 10:55 am
groovindj wrote :
Update what?

Some people don't want a laptop with a huge screen, or an overpriced fruity one with a very high res small screen.

It seems (from a look at retailers last night) that 1366x768 is the commonest current screen size for an "average" laptop.

Below that there are still gazillions of people using models they bought a few years back which still run perfectly fine TVM (if it ain't broke...).

VDJ 8 for Windows still supports XP. That's great, as there are still huge numbers of people using XP because it's reliable and it's mature.

I think there has to be a balance. The biggest issue is we have Mac users with Retina Displays with a resolution of 2880x1800 and PC users with a resolution over half that size. Whilst the new skin resize engine is great it does have issues when you go too far away from the native resolution.

Personally i don't think there is much of a future for the Skin Resizer. Unless it can be built into a creator and have one application for both tools.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 11:48 am
But the Macs only really display half that resolution in real terms as it's scaled down for normal use. The whole retina thing is just marketing BS.

My Samsung tablet is 2560x1600 so I'm gonna create a RDP session and see how the skins look in that resolution.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 1:15 pm
Wishful thinking:

My birthday's in December guys....

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 1:30 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Everything else can be changed. So yes, maybe we should start thinking over to provide low resolution skins too. The issue is not the graphics. Those don't look that bad. The issue is with the textzones. So if a text looks nice and clean on a big screen, if you down-resize a skin very low, the textzone gets a very low font size (e.g. size 12), which of course makes it unreadable.
The best way would be of course to have 2 Default skins, one for HD and one for lower resolutions. This may come in the future but maybe not. Its up to the skinners now to provide the most available solutions..Hopefully soon, but you need to be patient.

I have designed my latest skins on a 23" inch screen at 1920x1080 and everything looked nice, clean and big. But when i launched the same skin at 1366x768 i realized that it was damn small..lol..
When i first saw version 8 resizing skins...i said wow , good news for the skinners, now they ll have to only provide a single resolution and all good.. Well, that seems its not the case. Skinners, you have work to do ..haha

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 5:26 pm
gbeulPRO InfinityMember since 2007
+1 dad my macbook is 13" and from 2011
but with dual core 2,7 16gb ram and 1tb ssd its still good for me

but with resolution of 1280x800 it would be great if i could read anything

in 7 icould go into xml and change the fonts.

is this also posible with v8?

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 6:16 pm
73%