Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Downgrade to XP or Dual boot? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Good luck with you're build. Those results are from my desktop build which is running an e5200 (oc to 3.52Ghz), P5QL-E, 4GB, 8800 GT 512MB. To have managed a 1Ghz overclock I have a pretty large heatsink which obviously isn't possible with a 1U case but it's a good CPU on a budget. It runs 2.5Ghz stock and is based on a 45nm process so it runs cool. Even better, and more appropriately for a 1U system, is the Xeon E3110, it's essentially an e8400 (3ghz stock, 45nm, 65w and 6MB cache). DFI have some nice mATX P43/45 motherboards which may be worth checking out.

Posted Mon 29 Dec 08 @ 4:09 pm
I was planning to go down the Xeon route... multiprocesser option seems the best.

I have an HP Workstation with a Xeon running as a Windows 2003 Small Business Server and even with MySQL, Webserver and Microsoft Exchange the DPC results are almost non-exististent...

I've been told the motherboard should support the processor, but will wait until it arrives and I can double check, then it's off to find the right bits and bobs I need.

I'll be looking for a decent video card with dual output that I can out on a riser. No need to video (yet) but want to plan ahead - even if it's just for karaoke...

I'm also on the look out (scrounge) for a 1U UPS - this would simulate the laptop battery backup scenario and cater for any unplanned power outtages and protect the PC both from surge and unplanned shutdowns.

I'll aslo have my SDJ-1 for extreme situations...

Cheers,

Roy

Posted Mon 29 Dec 08 @ 5:14 pm
yk23PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Nice DPC... I wish my system looked like that too.

Posted Tue 30 Dec 08 @ 11:54 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)