Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: PLEASE HELP ME !!! PLEASE !!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi

Before i start please excuse my ignorance, i am the owner of a club and not very technical.

I have just bought Virtual Dj Pro today and love it !!

It sounds Great on my macbook pro but i bought it to replace the Double Mini Disc players we use in the club at the moment.

We have a massive sound system in the club and when i connect my Laptop with Virtual DJ it sounds great when low but when its really loud it distorts where the Cd players and Mini Disc player on the other channels of the mixer are fine.

This is how i am connecting my macbook pro to the Pioneer Mixer :

I have a jack going into the headphone socket of the Macbook that splits into a RCA ( Red and White ) on the other side that i simply have put into one of the channels on the Pioneer DJM 500 mixer.

All my settings are still factory settings.

Do i need to buy something to improve the sound or change any settings ?

I hear talk of a soundcard , what is that and do i need one and will it help. ?

Just really need to sort this.

Please Help

Thanks
Greg

Posted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 8:29 am
Perhaps you plugged the Y-adapter from the Macbook into the "phono" input of the mixer (maybe because the mini-disc players were already occupying the "line in" inputs). That might explain why it sounds okay at low volume levels but distorted at high levels. If there is a "phono/line" switch at the back of the mixer for the jack you've plugged into then make sure it's switched to "line". Or, just unplug one of the mini-disc players and plug your Mac into that input. Mini-disc players though lol, I take it you were a bit overdue for new technology, what were you playing on those mini-discs? C & C Music Factory, Roxette, MC Hammer?

Posted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 9:44 am
Hi

Thanks , yes we are overdue a change lol.

No, i have checked and we are plugged into the (Line-in ) inputs.

have unplugged the mini-disc players and still not that good.

What is an external sound card ? would this help ?

I should note this is a 5K rig i am hooking into so HUGE sound system.

Thanks
greg

Posted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 10:25 am
Even though playing audio through the headphone jack of the macbook is not ideal it should still be fine. Try setting the output volume of your Mac at about 3/4 and make sure the gain on your mixer isn't too cranked. The gain knob should be a knob at the top of each channel on your mixer. If it's you're using the term "distorted" correctly to describe your problem (many people use 'distorted' to describe something else entirely) then it might be as simple as making sure your levels are all set properly. It could be that the output level from your Mac is waaaay higher than the output from your mini-disc players, so you need to adjust levels accordingly. Hope this helps.

Posted Tue 18 Nov 08 @ 10:54 am
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Could be a bad Y cable or something on the channel you're using on the mixer. Try getting another Y cable to test with. Also try plugging the mini disc player into the channel you're trying to run VDJ through to test that channel of the mixer.

Posted Sat 22 Nov 08 @ 2:20 pm
PtownDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I can not use the headphone jack for output on my MBpro unless i go into settings and move the balance over to the left or the right... If its kept in the middle, the sound is too loud, distorted, and sounds like your playing in a tunnel...

Its been this way since it was brand new... I never had it looked at because the only time i needed it was the time i discovered the problem... I was djing aboard a ship in the harbor of Santorini, we had just had a brown out that fried the power supply on my USB mixer... I tried to use headphone out but...

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem with the MBpro headphone jack, or maybe it was the brown out...

Posted Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 11:12 am
TRY ANOTHER Y SPLITTER... OR TRY TURNING THE MASTER VOLUME DOWN ON YOUR VDJ (AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN) AND TURN UP YOUR MIXER AND YOU SHOULD GET CLEAR SOUND. ITS BOOTLEG BUT IT'LL HAVE TO DO.....LOL OR YOU'LL END UP HAVE TO USE A LEFT SIDE OF THE Y SPLITTER BY ITSELF.... SO MAKE SURE U CHECK THE Y SPLITTER...

Posted Sat 28 Feb 09 @ 2:41 am
Ya, it's definitely a damaged Y splitter that's causing the problem. I know this because if you take an undamaged Y splitter and you insert it partially you get different results the farther you stick it in (insert crude joke here). Stick it in a little you only hear the left speaker, a little more you only hear the right speaker, and stick it in somewhere in between you hear that 'tunnel effect' you were describing. And if it's not your Y splitter it might be a damaged headphone jack.

Posted Sat 28 Feb 09 @ 9:08 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)