Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: DMX control plugin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

nzdjHome userMember since 2007
Hi everyone,

I always wondered why the DMX control programs and DJ programs were so disconnected, I couldn't find a way to control "Cues" from DJ programs, so I decided to write my own

with some kind help from SBDJ and DJCel I started writing a little sound plugin, the idea is to trigger certain DMX signals at preset positions (i.e. cues)

I tried going through telnet through a third party DMX control software but that was too slow so I had to talk to the hardware directly, using enttec USB pro (enttec.com)

The plugin looks for a .csv file which has the same name as the song and scans it for cue actions, each line specifies the beat position, channel and dmx value, so far it's working quite nicely!

my next problem now is how to I get the plugin to auto switch to the "active" deck? I know I can read the slider but the deck number seems to be passed to the plugin, not to mention that there are two separate buttons to activate the plugin?

cheers

Sam

Posted Sat 11 Oct 08 @ 9:44 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You should be able to get the information you need from a GetInfo call... have a look at "Deck" and "OnAir"

How are you actually running the plugin? The best way is probably to create a callback timer or new thread when the plugin is activated, then you don't need to worry about which deck the plugin is actually activated on ;)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Sun 12 Oct 08 @ 11:26 am
I'm using a callback timer

The problem is that you actually choose which deck to activate it on and so all the functions apply to whatever deck you have activated
which means you have to switch while you're playing!

Posted Fri 17 Oct 08 @ 6:56 am
Are you triggering based on an audio sample, or based on predetermined positions? If based on positions, you should be able to use GetInfo to get the position of either deck, regardless of which deck the plugin is activated on.

Posted Fri 17 Oct 08 @ 12:45 pm
Yeah it is possible in vdjdsp2 but no in the vdjplugindsp class which is the one djcel suggested as the more recent one, the GetInfo on that one does not have a deck parameter

The plugin currently monitors beat positions and compares them with the cue list from the csv file but going forward I would like to include sample processing for auto mode in case there is no csv file for the song

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 5:17 am
nzdj wrote :
Yeah it is possible in vdjdsp2 but no in the vdjplugindsp class which is the one djcel suggested as the more recent one, the GetInfo on that one does not have a deck parameter

GetInfo calls are identical regardless of the plugin class. You don't pass a deck parameter, you pass it as part of the request ;)

Posted Sun 19 Oct 08 @ 7:01 am
Were you able to get this to work?

Posted Tue 26 May 09 @ 9:29 pm
This sounds very handy.
So it will work with an entec DMX dongles to send DMX that I could use to run CUES in VisualDMX?

I like the sound of this.

Ross

Posted Wed 27 May 09 @ 7:52 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)