Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How Important Is A Decent Needle With Timecoded Vinyls?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

euro3bPRO InfinityMember since 2005
As the title asks... how important is a decent needle with TCV?

Rich :)

Posted Wed 01 Oct 08 @ 1:06 pm
any needel will do just make sure its clean cause i find that the timecoded vinyl pick up loads of dust and i have to take the dust off after 2 songs! (maby just my bedroom!) im using a Stanton 505v3 and its a cheap 25 quid cartridge and needel and ive hd no props at all with it after 2 months everyday use! just dont use more weight than is needed and youll be ok!

Posted Thu 02 Oct 08 @ 10:20 am
frick, how do you know if your using to much weight again?

Posted Thu 02 Oct 08 @ 11:08 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
just do not add any additional weight. Back in the 80s DJs used to tape nickels on top of some cartridges. So as long as your using the weight adjustment built into the tone arms you should be OK.

Posted Thu 02 Oct 08 @ 3:17 pm
believe or not, needles have alot to do with sound quality. I have a stanton grandmaster and a friend of mine borrowed me a sure n44, the difference is pretty obvious. and about the cleaning, I too have the same problem. seems like the tcvs gather up alot of dirt, i thought it was my hands! then i plaed a regular dirty record...it was dirty, but i could play it a few times wthout having a glitch. my conclusion : the tcv is a constant signal, so it's written (if i can say it like that) the same way on any part of the record compared to a regular record which has multiple peaks and silences. sometimes wiping the tcv is not enough for me, I have a needle with a loose contact (barely works), most of the time i let it "read" on them and you should see how much dirt i pick up!

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 4:28 am
When using Timecoded vinyl, it doesn't really matter about which needle you use much. Sound quality is not an issue because the needle is onyl readingthe timecode & it has nothing to do with how the quality of the auido in vdj will sound.

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 11:26 am
Don't be fooled. Good needles are ESSENTIAL for proper timecode use. Lousy needles mean lousy signal in your soundcard and lousy response from VDJ. I've personally tested this with different needles and while the Ortofon Concorde needles worked the best for me, just switching the needles was enough to bring my timecode quality from 100% to 50% or less.

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 1:36 pm
VanStino wrote :
Don't be fooled. Good needles are ESSENTIAL for proper timecode use. Lousy needles mean lousy signal in your soundcard and lousy response from VDJ. I've personally tested this with different needles and while the Ortofon Concorde needles worked the best for me, just switching the needles was enough to bring my timecode quality from 100% to 50% or less.

thats what im talking about

Posted Fri 03 Oct 08 @ 4:29 pm
this is why i brought this topic up... i feel something more is the issue then just sound cards....

I want to test out a better needle to see, but dont want to buy something just to have to return it...

Posted Sun 05 Oct 08 @ 6:48 pm
euro3b wrote :
this is why i brought this topic up... i feel something more is the issue then just sound cards....

I want to test out a better needle to see, but dont want to buy something just to have to return it...

there's a variety of cartridges to choose from. anybody ever tried the Shure whitelabel?

Posted Sun 05 Oct 08 @ 11:36 pm
Ortofon Concorde or Digitrack are still my #1 and 2 :)

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 12:13 pm
I'm still gonna disagree.

As long as your needles are giving a good signal to vdj then your fine. You might want needles that have low record wear so you don't need to change your tcv as often.

Posted Mon 06 Oct 08 @ 11:41 pm
ViperVin wrote :
I'm still gonna disagree.

As long as your needles are giving a good signal to vdj then your fine. You might want needles that have low record wear so you don't need to change your tcv as often.

of course you'lll have a signal to sync tcv's to vdj, that's the whole idea, but cheap still means cheap. expensive needles have a better frequency response. im not just sang this, iv broken enough of them to know what im talking about.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 12:04 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
VanStino wrote :
Ortofon Concorde or Digitrack are still my #1 and 2 :)

I use Stanton Discmasters V3, at home and in the Bar, and they are perfect for me.

Posted Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 12:36 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Yes, stanton discmaster v2 and v3 are good too;)

Posted Tue 07 Oct 08 @ 12:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)