Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Skipping all of a sudden...please help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJFocusPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I just recently changed my configuration on VDJ 2.06 to a dual souncard ( internal and a creative audio blaster) and all of a sudden I have started having skipping problems. I tried to reinstall the program and still the skipping persist. This problem also came on when I started using the headphone mix. I use a Dell inspiron 9100 with 512 ram. Should I reinstall windows or is there something else I can do? Please...anybody who ahs dealt with this scenario in terms of switching confiuration and sudden skipping please advise. Need to rectify this soon

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 3:04 pm
Is it the same files that skip.....
Try systeme restore to an earlier date with a good config(best solution)
Just changing the configuration can cause the program to skip it just modifies the output source....so there is something else causing this to skip
Andre

Posted Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 7:24 pm
Im wondering if it is my external soundcard...cuz when i switch back to my default soundcard( primary) it is fine, no skipping or hissing. But i need both soundcards in order to "headphone mix"? What do u think i should do Dre?

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 4:03 am
Maybe try with another sound card to see if you get the same results.
If you are stuck and need to mix with one card use a stereo splitter to external mixer
Choose in config-sound cards the one with the stereo splitter and mixer(4th from top)
Andre

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 8:32 am
maybe if i reinstalled windows do u think that might help to rectify the problem?

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 10:40 am
Sounds like a conflict. Check your video/audio card conflicts. You can double check by using yor internal soundcard to see if it still skips. Reinstalling may solve the issue, may not.

Posted Fri 28 Jan 05 @ 5:51 am
Vantine..or anybody...how do i rectify and IRQ conflict?

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 6:55 am
First you must check if there is a conflict go to:control panel-system-hardware-device manager-audio controllerer check if there is a yellow triangle on one of your controllers.
If not then no conflict.
Andre

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 10:50 am
Andre or anyone else...my computer says that my SIGMA TEL C- Major Audio has an IRQ number of 17...which is also the same number for my Dell Wireless PC card and my BCM V.92.56K Modem. Is this a conflict....and if so how do i rectify it?

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 4:17 pm
I had the same issue. I know this is not a total fix but try this. Go to your wireless small icon in the lower right of the screen. Right click it and disable it. Yes disable the wireless card. Don't worry you can enable it again later. Now try. There should be no skips. I have to do this everytime I perform with VDJ on my toshiba laptop. No big deal. I just enable it again when I need to go onto the internet. Lemme know. BTW To enable it go to start,control pannel,network, then right click the wireless link and click enable. It will be back on but so will the skips..... Sorry it is not a better fix but it's pretty easy to do... ;)

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 9:53 pm
Vantine...thanks for the help..but still experienceing skipping and hissing. I think i might just go a head and reinstall windows...u think that should help...cuz i know my computer is fast enough and i just start experience these issues. You have any other suggestions and how to rectify teh skipping?

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 3:08 am
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
re installing windows is my favourite option. it sorts out a lot of things :)

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 8:37 am
That definately would have solved the confolict if the conflict was with the wireless modem. You are essentially uninstalling the modem. If it still occurs then yes there is another issue. I guess try to reinstall windows. I usually hate to do that. Make sure you back up everything and good luck. On my toshiba I did that and the issue was not solved. Hope it works for you.. ;)

Posted Sun 30 Jan 05 @ 6:15 pm
Reinstalling Windows should be your very very last option.

There are lots of other things you can do before getting to that point. You should also always try to "Isolate" your problem to the root cause and not just throw theoretical solutions at it.

Why not try the following:

1. You say it all started when you added a 2nd soundcard and that if you revert back to 1 soundcard all is ok. What happens if the new soundcard is configured as secondary, does skipping occur on the primary (original audio device) ?

2. Can you acquire a cheap USB audio device and see if that works better than the new Creative card ?

3. Audio skipping can be caused by several things, but generally audio processing is being interrupted by some sort of "polling" activity. Make sure you have shut down all uneeded background processes and that your machine has plenty of RAM free.

Hope U haven't reinstalled Windows already.

Posted Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 3:26 am
Ok..thanks mele...nice to see another dj spinning that reggae and soca music..i thought i was the only one on here. Im gonna see if this other soundcard i bought works. Do u think it could be a problem with my computers usb port?

Posted Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 8:25 am
Ok Mele or anyone else...heres what ive done

I tried playing and recording mixes using the a singular sound device. I tired isolating using my external soundcard as my only audio device....and there was no hissing or cutting sound in the background and no skipping..perfect recording also. I then tried with my windows default soundcard as the only sound device..and same result perfect sound quality and no skipping. When i switched back to the dual soundcard option..that is when the cutting sound came back and there was a slit skipping. So nothing seems to be wrong with either soundcard when isolated..but when combined that is when the problem starts. I checked my IRQ and there is no conflict with the major audio ( Sigma Tel Audio). So...any suggestion on what the problem might be and how to rectify it?

Posted Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 9:12 am
@Focus ... easy nuh

Your problem is beginning to sound unfortunate.

You did a fairly good job with your isolation steps and so now you need to determine if it is only vDJ that is unhappy with both sound devices installed at the same time. With both sound devices in place, use Windows Control Panel and set the default sound device to each then use Windows Media player to play some of your tracks. If it skips etc than you know that the problem is in your hardware.

If it does not skip, then dare I say, try one of the other software apps that use 2 sound devices at once... (not to worry, you won't like any of them better than vDJ, [:o) so you'll uninstall them when done testing).

Come back with your results and we go from there. Also, you weren't clear if the skipping was only on the internal or external device or both when it does start to misbehave. Also please clarify if your 2nd device is in fact a USB device. If it is, maybe the device requires USB 2.0 and your USBs are 1.1.

Posted Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 10:30 pm
I also once had a Dell Inspiron (8100). i had exactly the same issue.

my solution swas very simple after all: go into the bios-menu of your laptop and disable 'speed-step'. I don't know your inspiron-model features, but if you have hyperthreading.. disable that as well.

that's all you need to do to get rid of your hissing and cutting.

Posted Fri 04 Feb 05 @ 11:25 am
Cannonball...i found hyperthreading and i disabled it..but i could not find speed step.....could my computer not have it?

Posted Mon 07 Feb 05 @ 7:29 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)