This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi!
If you'd had to spend around EUR 1000,-- at this moment
to buy a laptop PURELY FOR VDJ which laptop would you
buy ? Considering the fact that -vdj is already bought,
-a maya44 is already bought, an external hdd is already
bought ? Also considering that the most important fact
to me is STABILITY :) Myself I was thinking about an acer
or asus-laptop, but your thoughts are VERY welcome to me.
Thanks, Peter.

Posted Mon 24 Jan 05 @ 11:16 pm
Dude. I would buy a Dell. You'll probably hear mixed opinions about Dell but I have had really good luck with them and their service. I have 6 Dell's myself personally.

Posted Mon 24 Jan 05 @ 11:48 pm
cebuPRO InfinityMember since 2003
you should buy a toshiba satilite i had mine since oct.2004 and no problem with it at all.

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 3:20 am
Dell. For sure. No questions asked. You can NOT get more for the money. Also- the newer ones are very sturdy.

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 4:51 am
sexyjHome userMember since 2004
i would definitely recommand a ASUS!!

they make great laps

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 5:12 am
tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004

I've am pretty good experiences with my Fujitsu Siemans AMILO laptop. I paid about £600 with 512mb RAM, DVD/RW, Pentium M chip (low power / doesn't get as hot as a Mobile P4), 15.1" widescreen etc.

Bear in mind when you look at laptops that Pentium M class chips run a lot faster than the equivalent P4 chip. A 1.5ghz Pentium M (Centrino class) out performs a Mobile P4 2.2 in all industry benchmarks.

The one thing I would recommend however is a 15.1" widescreen notebook. There are a few really good VDJ skins for 1280*800. Its more screen space which certainly makes it easier to find your tracks whilst gigging.

However, if you can afford one upgrade on it I think most people would also recommend you get 1gb RAM. That might be pushing your price limit a bit but that is one of the biggest deciding factors in how well VDJ performs.

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 9:35 am
I got Fujitsu Siemens AMILO too, and very happy with it :) only thing negative would be that the batteries dont run to long, but guess thats a problem with most laptops :)

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 12:27 pm
I have a Fujitsu Simens AMILO as well (an A1630), and it works like a charm... well, exept for a very slow HD, but I'll replace it soon enough. No crashes, though I am still using ver 1.08 of VDJ. Anyway, the model is just as relevant as brand when it comes to Laptops, and battery lifetime depends on wether you go for a laptop with a mobile CPU, or a laptop fitted with a standard desktop cpu. The latter gives you a much better performance/price ratio, but with shorter battery-life. It will also be bigger, heavier, and more fan-dependant and thus not as flexible... to be specific, my laptop can not be placed on my lap, as it will block the fan-vent and thus kill the processor by overheating.

Posted Tue 25 Jan 05 @ 9:26 pm
I have used VDJ on a Dell inspiron 8100. i had to disable some of the features in the bios to get rid of the glitches i had with the older versions of VDJ. (that's not nessasary anymore with the latest version of VDJ).

but i also had some lockups because my Dell was getting to hot.
i sold my Dell, and bought an Acer Travelmate 8003 (see my profile)

i have used VDJ on it for about half a year now, i didn't have any problems or what so ever. not even a glitch. This baby rocks 100% steady gig after gig.

Posted Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 3:38 pm
Beware or copies of the real thing:IBM Thinkpad G40 P4 2.8 40GB 256MB 15TFT DVD/CDRW WXPP (TG04SUK)
Intel Pentium 4
256Mb of memory
40.0Gb hard disk
15.0" screen
Add 512 of ram and your all set......really
Andre

Posted Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 5:52 pm
i'm looking at buying the top of the range philips freeline x20l .. £999.99 =D

15.4 widescreen
Intel P 1.7M Centrino
512mb (altho.. i'll have this upto a gig thank ya kindly)
and damn smart looks

but i had a compaq 2504 eu (not sold anymore) it was a 2.6 celeron, with 256 mb ram, but by god.. vdj just kept going and going and going!

moral is though, you don't need a VERY powerful laptop to keep it going.. but it helps :D

oh .. and as for dells
just kiddin :P

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 2:16 am
For people in the US you can get a Pentium4 3 gig, widescreen, 512k ram, 80 gig hard drive, XP pro, wireless g and DVD/cd burner for $1,200 US Dollars. So, about 75 euros, lol.

Anyway, it is an Acer and you can get it from Tiger.

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 4:16 am
told you.. Acer Rulez ;)

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 11:23 am
In september I bought a HP 7260
and in october I bought virtualdj and in november I bought a maya 44 and tcv

Snice then I've have never had no problems
I dj at big partys and in the club too,

I use my laptop with turntables and also on cdj's and I never has a problem, I also record my live mixes from external mixer back to my laptop with no problems
And my laptop is also 17in wide, but all my music is on a 200gb external hard drive

So hp 7260

Posted Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 5:28 pm
Acer 1355LC w/ Athlon XP-M 2600+, 512mb RAM and Firewire connectable external WD 250 GB has worked flawless since I bought it in may 2004.

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 3:17 am
Okay, thank you all very much.
Your reactions say that an ACER, DELL,
FUJITSUSIEMENS and IBMTHINKPAD-notebook
are not 'bad choices'

The thing I'm not sure about is whether I
should go for a Pentium-IV or Pentium-M-class-
processor ? Could you please tell me some
advantages and disadvantages about both ?

Battery-life is not an issue for me,
as I said: my main-issue is stability.

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 12:19 pm
If stability is your main goal, make sure your new laptop has an Intel-processor. Those AMD processors are pretty good these days, but Intel is still the winner if it concerns stability (especially on laptops).

The difference between Pentium IV and M (or Centrino): Pentium IV runs at constant speed, while M and Centrino reduce the amount of MHZ when it is not needed (to save battery-power).

For me, i was a bit afraid to buy a laptop with a Centrino processor because i wanted to be sure that i had no glitches/hickups while doin a live-set. But you can set your bios in that way so that it allways runs at full speed, even when not all cpu-power is needed.

I have my Acer for half a year now, done lots gigs with it. because of the centrino-processor.. it stays cool and runs super-stable, even after 4-5 hour-sets. It took me 3 laptops to find out which one runs best with VDJ, now i finally found the right-one.

Posted Sat 29 Jan 05 @ 2:33 pm
@ cannonball.. are you saying that centrino processors are of better stability?

if so i'm about to become a happy person ;0

Posted Mon 31 Jan 05 @ 11:56 am
No.. not only Centrino processors.. i meant ALL Intel processors!
and because of the low power-requirements, your laptop will stay cool and stable.

as i said before, i have never had ANY problems using this baby for VDJ after using it for many 5/6-hour-gigs. it just runs VDJ solid as a rock. ;)

Posted Tue 01 Feb 05 @ 3:37 pm
sweet.. im jus waiting for money to buy my new one.. new philips freeline range from pc world ;)

Posted Wed 02 Feb 05 @ 3:28 am
67%