Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Latency vs. Performance - can't win...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Using the DJIO card and a pretty fast PC, I started to notice I can't win with the settings I need.

*** If I set the ASIO driver to 20ms or more latency, I can run VDJ at the BEST SOUND setting and get:

PROS
- Solid sound
- No clicks/pops as I move the controls on my Numark Total Control
- Slowing down the tempo witih pitch lock on, the song sounds smooth and clean

CONS
- There is a delay between when I press a button on the Numark and when something happens on VDJ. This is an issue when starting a new track and wanting it to start right at the moment you hit the button. It becomes a nightmare when beatmatching. Even though I preview songs before starting them, I like to hit "Play" and quickly swtich to the new track.

*** If I set the ASIO driver to 4ms latency, but VDJ config to BEST PERFORMANCE

PROS
- Near instant response from the Numark buttons to what happens on the screen <- I need this

CONS
- Moving faders causes clicks/pops
- Activating EFFECTS causes a pop
- Sound stutters when I do things
- Slowing down the tempo has a robotic effect on the sound

I am going to try ASIO4ALL, but I have not been able to find a happy medium. I just need the additional 5% to be content but she can't give anymore! ASIO Latency should have no effect on Numark VDJ button response ... or so I thought?

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 8:55 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
dre99gsx wrote :
Using the DJIO card and a pretty fast PC, I started to notice I can't win with the settings I need.

*** If I set the ASIO driver to 20ms or more latency, I can run VDJ at the BEST SOUND setting and get:

PROS
- Solid sound
- No clicks/pops as I move the controls on my Numark Total Control
- Slowing down the tempo witih pitch lock on, the song sounds smooth and clean

CONS
- There is a delay between when I press a button on the Numark and when something happens on VDJ. This is an issue when starting a new track and wanting it to start right at the moment you hit the button. It becomes a nightmare when beatmatching. Even though I preview songs before starting them, I like to hit "Play" and quickly swtich to the new track.

*** If I set the ASIO driver to 4ms latency, but VDJ config to BEST PERFORMANCE

PROS
- Near instant response from the Numark buttons to what happens on the screen <- I need this

CONS
- Moving faders causes clicks/pops
- Activating EFFECTS causes a pop
- Sound stutters when I do things
- Slowing down the tempo has a robotic effect on the sound

I am going to try ASIO4ALL, but I have not been able to find a happy medium. I just need the additional 5% to be content but she can't give anymore! ASIO Latency should have no effect on Numark VDJ button response ... or so I thought?

No, the latency has an effect because after you press play, the ASIO buffer has to be filled. Larger latency = bigger buffer = more time to fill. Thats why it's called latency ;)

Do you have Safe Mode and/or Overclock ticked, and the VDJ llatency on Auto?

If I were you, I'd have a play with the "DPC Latency Checker", and disable any unused hardware too. You'd be suprised what can have an effect when you're running a small buffer like 5ms and smaller - this usually requires a good soundcard and a good PC to operate reliable.

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 9:24 am
I thought VDJ Latency option was overwritten by the ASIO driver? VDJ Latency option still has an effect?

How would Safe Mode help me in this situation? It is on.

I will give the DPC program a shot tonight.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 10:38 am
Actually I believe safe mode is only relevant for directsound anyway, so don't worry about that.

Have a play with the latency checker, hopefully it might reveal an issue, then you can try disabling things to see if you can narrow down a cause.

20ms is a large buffer though, 882 samples!

How does it cope around 6ms?

In fact I've just done a bit of googling, and Numark say that in Traktor 5.5ms upwards will give smooth playback. Perhaps 4ms is just too ambitious for this card?

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 10:51 am
20ms is an exaggeration. I used that to signify a large latency.

It works OK at 7ms. Sound is smooth, no pops/clicks other than turning effects ON. But, even at 7ms, I can feel the difference to when I hit PLAY or CUE and when the first beat starts. That small delay has me reaching for the nudge wheel everytime and its annoying. I've been playing with 7ms and managing, but then tried 4ms and immediately noticed a tighter sound and tighter mixing.

Most folks use something larger than 7ms?

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 12:09 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Alright, go to the Soundcard setup tab - set the soundcard to drop-down and put it on ASIO and make sure the Ultra Latency is selected.
Next go to the Performance tab and put the slider to the far left - Fastest
Change the latency drop-down to Auto
Uncheck the Safemode and Overclock

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 12:17 pm
dre99gsx wrote :
Most folks use something larger than 7ms?

Nope, I can't remember now and my gig machine is packed up, but I work around the 2-5ms mark :)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 2:56 pm
Alright. She is working good. Finally got 5.2.1.

ASIO at 128 samples (4.9ms) and performance is one tick shy of QUALITY. I checked "Ultra-Latency". I get smooth pitch control, clean audio, and I ended up fixing one of my VSTs which would pop/click when turned on. Was doing too much math when the VST loaded. We'll see how it performs in an upcoming show. Thanks.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 10:25 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
And welcome aboard as a pro user dre99gsx;)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 11:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)