Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Xone 3D A&H

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I'm looking for more informations about this mixer before buying it.
I read on the manual this mixer has own sound card.

As I want to use this mixer with VDJ like MIDI device, my question is:

Can I use the internal sound card of this mixer like sound of VDJ??
I mean, I would like to use this mixer both as MIDI device and as Sound card for VDJ software.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 9:40 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
As far as I know yes, but the soundcard isn't all that great to be honest. A Xone:4D is a much better choice :)

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 2:06 pm
I know but you can look at the price..the Xone 3D is already expensive so you can imagine the 4D!!

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 2:36 pm
The Xone:4d was about £250 more than current 3d prices when I looked :)

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 5:27 pm
Thanks a lot SBDJ.
Anyway, let's get back on the original topic.
I'd like to know more about Xone 3D

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 5:36 pm
I know several users have this mixer... you can definately use it as a MIDI device and from what I've read the soundcard will work as well :)

A&H wrote :
The two modes allow either three stereo channels (1 Stereo In / 3 Stereo Out mode) or two stereo channels (2 Stereo In / 2 Stereo Out mode) to be routed TO the Xone 3D.

HTH :)

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 7:24 pm
A&H wrote :
The two modes allow either three stereo channels (1 Stereo In / 3 Stereo Out mode) or two stereo channels (2 Stereo In / 2 Stereo Out mode) to be routed TO the Xone 3D.

So you are saying that I could use this mixer like for example:
- 1 external CD player (IN) and 3 channels DECK1, DECK2 and SAMPLES of VDJ (OUT)
- 2 external CD players (IN) and DECK1, DECK2 of VDJ (OUT)

Is it right??

How does VDJ software allow to communicate with the mixer? (I mean VDJ transmits signals of DECK1, DECK2 and SAMPLES by USB connection)?

Excuse me for all my questions but I need to be sure about this mixer before buying it..You know, it's very expansive for my pockets

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 4:57 am
After a in-depth search on the internet I knew that:

- all the knobs, faders inside the red square aren't available for MIDI purpose;
- all the knobs, faders and wheels outside the red square are available for MIDI purpose.

Is it right??
Is there anyone who can give the ok about this??

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 12:00 pm
Sounds right to me, it's based on a Xone:92 mixer :)

You would use Virtual DJ in External Mixer mode, making use of the audio section of the Xone for mixing :)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 5:27 am
Ok.

I don't understand a thing

How can my laptop transmit signals of the 2 decks of VDJ to the mixer??

I intend: this mixer has 2 MIDI sections but these two sections aren't connected with the Analog Mixer section (I think)...or maybe they are connected internally with it??

For example, I would want to have VDJ DECK1 on MIDI section on the left, VDJ DECK2 on MIDI section on the right and then to command the song1 by the Channel 1 of the mixer and the song2 by the Channel 4 of the mixer.

Is it that possible (even if the Mixer section isn't MIDI compatible)??

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 6:05 am
sischo wrote :
How can my laptop transmit signals of the 2 decks of VDJ to the mixer??

Sound is transmitted via the soundcard in the Xone:3D. External mixer mode sounds two seperate stereo signals to the mixer, to be used with the conventional analogue controls.

sischo wrote :
I intend: this mixer has 2 MIDI sections but these two sections aren't connected with the Analog Mixer section (I think)...or maybe they are connected internally with it??

The MIDI sections have no control over the analogue section - the MIDI signals are sent to VDJ, and can therefore be mapped to control various VDJ functions. Each control has a different 'ID' (note/channel) so you can map each control to a function in VDJ, so you can map the left MIDI deck to control one VDJ deck, and the right to control the other. There's already a user-supplied XML file for download that implements this, but with MIDI learn in VDJ it's dead easy to do yourself.

sischo wrote :
For example, I would want to have VDJ DECK1 on MIDI section on the left, VDJ DECK2 on MIDI section on the right and then to command the song1 by the Channel 1 of the mixer and the song2 by the Channel 4 of the mixer.

Is it that possible (even if the Mixer section isn't MIDI compatible)??

Yes, although which mixer channel each VDJ deck ends up on will depend largely on how the Xone:3D routes the audio signals. I believe this can be tweaked in VDJ however as well.

I use my Ecler Evo 5 in exactly this way :)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 9:09 am
Let me know if I've understood

I should connect my laptop to the mixer by USB cable (which transmits both MIDI signals and sounds signals DECK1 and DECK2) and I connect the mixer to the power amplifier to get the sound

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 9:25 am
Bingo :)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 9:30 am
I was afraid that I needed of another sound card (4 channels or more:DECK1 L+R, DECK2 L+R) to transmit the audio signals of VDJ to the mixer.
That was all!!

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 9:35 am
Nope,

A&H wrote :

They say up to three stereo channels are supported, so theoretically you could use three lines mixer mode, with the VDJ sampler on a third channel. I do this with my Ecler too :)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 10:39 am
Thanks a lot for all your answers:-)

You are very helpful and kind.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 11:05 am
You're welcome, I know what it's like to be about to splash a large amount of cash on a mixer - I went through the same dilemma with my Ecler - Ecler vs Korg vs Xone. I ended going up with the Ecler, but I have to admit I've been looking at the Xone:4D ;)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 3:19 pm
What about buying 2 Xone:2D and 1 analog mixer 3 channels or more??

I think is quite near to have 1 Xone 3D or 4D because the 2D has also an internal sound card which comes connected to the analog mixer

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 5:57 pm
Don't know about there, but over here:

Xone:2D £499 x 2 = £998
Xone:3D £1199
Xone:4D £1468

As you can see, there's not much price difference between 2 Xone:2Ds and the Xone:3D, and you don't get the MIDI crossfader control then either, so it's not an ideal solution either. If you were doing that on the cheap, you'd probably be better off using an external soundcard and getting two Xone:1Ds instead.

Oh, turns out the channel faders can send MIDI signals too on the Xone:3D if wanted.

I had a quick play on the Xone:4D at PLASA, fanstastic bit of kit, but a bit limited in what I could test at the A&H stand ;)

Regards,

Scott

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 7:36 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)