Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What could cause my laptop to crash???

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a serious problem.

I been using VDJ version 5.07 for about 6 months with no critical problems except when my laptop crashed for no reason during a few gigs (about 3 times so far). By crash, I mean "the blue screen of death" from XP. I still do not know why it crashed? The last time it crashed the message said something about bad hardware/software and something 00000000000. I had no time to read it properly since I had a packed dance floor and had to reboot the the system.

My question, what could cause a random crash of XP. I use a Macbook Pro 2.5GHz intel with 4 Gig Ram, I run VDJ in bootcamp with a Denon HC4500. Could the Denon HC4500 be the problem or could it be the USB connection or is it XP???

Anyone experience this problem, my laptop is clean, no extra softwares, fully updated with XP.

Any suggestions?

Posted Tue 09 Sep 08 @ 8:51 am
I have had this on my high spec Vista 4gb mem and yet the blue screen of death came up advising that it was shutdown due to a memory dump, my lesser Vista laptop has had no such problem. I hav'nt investigated the problem yet how'ever should i find the reason i will post here.

Posted Tue 09 Sep 08 @ 12:20 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
@callman 1

This pdf manual on how to harvest a Error reports may be helpful or not, lol

Posted Tue 09 Sep 08 @ 1:19 pm
Incompatible memory chip or unstable device drivers tend to be the main culprits. XP is generally rock solid, so it's something on the outside causing the problem I think?

Posted Tue 09 Sep 08 @ 1:44 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
A blue screen is in general a crash in a driver. Most of the cases, it's a video drivers problem.

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 4:43 am
Are you using the Asio drivers for the 4500?

They don't work very well on my setup at all and I know from reading the Denon support site there are a lot more people having problems but Denon refuse to do anything about it.

I just use the directsound driver now, the 23ms latency is more than adequate and running the 4500 with the JPBoggis custom mapper is just the bomb!

Have a look here, there are a few posts about the 4500 Asio driver a bit further down the forum:

http://www.denondjforums.com/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=3e405d6897a8f1af134a6c9a1addf2a0

Posted Wed 10 Sep 08 @ 6:48 am
It can't be a video driver, I was only playing MP3's.

Could it be my external hard drive, I use a western digital my book home edition 1 terabyte or could it be the Denon HC4500 controller. Does XP leave a file behind that I can check to review this error.

The crashes are so random, I now worry everytime I use my laptop.

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 10:14 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
callman_1 wrote :
It can't be a video driver, I was only playing MP3's.

"It can't be" : Really? How does your screen work if you don't use your video drivers? Do not conclude too fast ;-)

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 1:32 pm
So the big question....how do I reinstall the video driver?

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 2:03 pm
Usually the most up to drate driver can be found on the laptop manufacturers support site if it's branded (Sony, Dell, HP, Toshiba etc.)

If it's a cheapie lappie then you would need to go to Control Panel>Devices and find out the name of the video device there.

Laptop graphics are generally part of the motherboard and not a seperate card.

Any questions, post them on here :)

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 11:45 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)