Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Time coded vinyl relative and absolute positioning

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

yvesmkPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Is there a setting in VDJ when working with time coded vinyls, to have the needle moving reflect a relative or absolute positioning in the song in VDJ.
Meaning that if you move the needle on the TVC, the song is positioned acording.
Or other setting, no matter where you put the needle, the song is not positioned, but just stops playing and catches up from where it stopped.

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 10:06 am
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Its called needle dropping but at the moment theres no way of turning it off. maybe in a future release :)
PJay

Posted Wed 19 Jan 05 @ 11:07 am
If there is no needle dropping, then what do abosolute/relative/smart refer to? I thought this referred to the way vdj tracked the tcv. I am not, however, able to do needle dropping either. That is a deal-breaker feature that will make me not use this outside the bedroom.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 6:09 am
You know, u guys are confusing me. In your own words, what is needle dropping?

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 9:56 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
In simple terms

Absoulte mode - Means you can't use the software to do loops cues and other things 100% tied to the vinyl time code.

Smart mode - allows for cues, loops and other software features (halfway between absoulute and relative) allows needle drop like absoulute but still allows for loops cues and other features.

Relative - bascially using the vinyl to conrtol allowing loops and cues position on vinyl doesn't effect positon on track.

Needle drop - Means once a track is loaded its length is spread across the time code disk, Dropping the needle 1 minute into the track advances vdj's player 1 min. The start of the vinyl is the start of the track, etc.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 10:53 pm
There we go. Thanks for the explanation. I don't think many people really know what needle drop is. IMO, relative is the best. Just use the TCV's for scratching and beatmatching(oldschool way if that's what you prefer).
I have a question. Since VDJ now offers SSL soundcard support, do you think the future update will compensate the pitch difference in the TCV's? Cause right now, even though SSL users give VDJ a try, they still have to by VDJ TCV's to get the whole feel & most people will probably say to hell with it.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 11:05 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
SSL vinyls will work inside of vdj, but only in relative mode, without needle dorp. So yes SSL users can test vdj on their vinyls, with the sl-1 but only on a limited basis.

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 11:13 pm
Sorry for buggin, what do u mean only a limited basis. The control of VDJ goes off after a while? I know they work, but I have to set my TT's to around +6 for the pitch to match VDJ's. Might this be changed? (Actually I doubt it cause it would be a stupid move for VDJ busines-wise since the VDJ TCV's wouldn't be bought) But at the same time, more users will definetely switch to VDJ cause clearly it's better. Your thoughts?

Posted Sat 07 Oct 06 @ 11:37 pm
Cyder already said what the limitation was ;)
No needle drop ;) In relative mode...

Thats the only limitation ... :)

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 1:23 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
so SSL users trying the demo have no time limit on the time they can do timecode for?

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 2:38 am
There is a limit. Control of VDJ just drops.

Posted Sun 08 Oct 06 @ 5:45 pm
At least for me it did.

Posted Mon 09 Oct 06 @ 2:16 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)