Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Vista Optimization for VDJ Pro.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Prior to installing VDJ PRO, are there any Vista optimizations?.

In the recording world there are Windows XP optimization for music recording.

I tried doing a search in the forums but I couldnt find anything pertinent. I don't think the search function is working correctly. The search function is having problems with more than one word in the search. It wasn't doing that before the sites "look" was changed a few days ago.

I just got my software two days ago but I'm still waiting for the delivery of my laptop. When it gets here I want to tweak it ASAP.

Also I'm sure there are some particular optimizations in Vista for VDJ out there, too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 6:43 am

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 6:54 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Check this out for a good Vista tweaking guide,

It's not for VirtualDJ but a good general one. It even has description's for you on what the Services do.

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 7:13 am
jimmy b wrote :
Check this out for a good Vista tweaking guide,

It's not for VirtualDJ but a good general one. It even has description's for you on what the Services do.

Thanks Jim.

Posted Sat 30 Aug 08 @ 7:17 am
Right click your sound icon in the bottom corner, click playback devices - select each of your drivers, click properties, go to enhancements and select disable all enhancements. It's crucial, especially on Dell machines.

After that, it's often useful to disable wireless internet devices and auxiliary lighting, like backlit keyboards and built in lighting effects (XPS). For some reason, these devices compete for reasons. I wish I still had my old laptop, the entire system would hang, freeze out user input, and be moments away from a blue screen of death, but somehow the music never skipped a beat. It was like the sound card had it's own cpu.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 10:31 am
alainbryden wrote :
It's crucial, especially on Dell machines....

it's often useful to... disable backlit keyboards....

I just bought a Dell. I purposely picked a backlit keyboard so I could play in the dark....

F**k! And now I can't use it???

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 8:25 pm
I'm taking delivery of a new Dell this week with backlit keyboard. Think I will test it extensively before disabling stuff and will work through the various tweaks one by one. Shouldn't have to disable everything with a fast modern machine surely.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 8:48 pm
DJSoulman,
Look at the links I posted earlier on this very thread. They are some Vista Optimization guides. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. My Dell doen't get shipped till the 19th of this month.

I think your right. I'm going to go through the whole Optimization guide. I'll see if I can keep my backlit keys, too.

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 5:20 pm
Test your system BEFORE shutting down any processes. Disable UAC and Defender and try VDJ. If it works great then I would stop there. I will say that changing processes can have adverse effects on other processes (which I found out the hard way).

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 7:21 pm
Right on. I'll try that first before I try Optimizing Vista performance.

Edit by Cioce
Please don't reply to any up message with a "Quote" and use the new message icon .

Posted Thu 04 Sep 08 @ 12:14 am
I disagree with turning UAC off (it's a good security addition), it's more acceptable to disable secure desktop instead. The biggest processor hogging service of Windows Vista is the Windows Search (Indexing Service), you can safely disable this without any consequence, similarly the Windows Sidebar process should go too. Another service worth disabling perhaps (maybe it's more useful when your usb ports share a controller with the graphics card) is Desktop Window Manager. This means that you lose Aero Gloss but you also save multiple cpu cycles and reduce your gpu load.

Before playing with anything, it's always worth running DPC Latency Check which will give you an indication of how your PC will perform with realtime audio processing.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 08 @ 4:20 am
Cioce,
Ok, I will comply. But why is there the ability (the blue speech bubble and letter icon) to quote someone if you don't want us to use it?

Andrew87,
I haven't had a chance to look into the Vista Optimizations with a magnifying glass and a fine tooth comb, yet. I didn't think it would be necessary to do so before the arrival of my laptop. But I guess I better to see how it jives with everybody elses advice...

It's getting hairy really fast....

I just wish some of our more seasoned veterans could weigh in on this subject and finally clarify and document Vista optimization for VirtualDJ use, once and for all....

Thanks to everybody who has put their 2 cents into this thread...

Posted Thu 04 Sep 08 @ 5:36 pm
Andrew87,
That DPC Latency checker kicks ass, man. Thanks.

Every 5us I go into the red (2000us - 16000us of Latency). I got find out what process is causing that.

But turning off the Windows Search (Indexing Service) didn't help much...

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:21 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
djchris73 wrote :
Andrew87,
That DPC Latency checker kicks ass, man. But turning off the Windows search (Indexing Service) didn't do much...

Another one. Windows Defender, if you are not going a the net with your gig laptop, why have it running, stop it or disable it on boot up.

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:29 pm
jimmy b wrote :
djchris73 wrote :
Andrew87,
That DPC Latency checker kicks ass, man. But turning off the Windows search (Indexing Service) didn't do much...

Another one. Windows Defender, if you are not going a the net with your gig laptop, why have it running, stop it or disable it on boot up.

You're up early, brother.

I just turned off Defender. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference with the DPC Latency Checker...

Bring back the Pint!

Posted Tue 16 Sep 08 @ 11:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)