Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: BPM detection isn't precise!!!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mso2000Home userMember since 2003
I don't know how VirtualDJ's Algorithm works, but in the most situations the BPM doesn't match the real one. Musics like funk and teknobeat with 135BPM, for example, are detected with 97BPM or less (sometimes greater or keep oscilating). Other softwares, like BPM-Studio, MixMeister, etc are more precise, specially in BPM-Studio where you can choose the range of BPM to detect, so it works perfectly. I noticed this problem since AtomixMP3, but it still happening in VirtualDJ. I hope you may fix this little problem to this big software!!! Thanks!!

Posted Tue 22 Jul 03 @ 11:30 pm
elvertPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I am also experimenting the problem of BPM detection that is not precise . Hope they fix it very fast. The way it is, the software can not be used professionaly.

Posted Fri 25 Jul 03 @ 12:57 am
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
In case of you didn't notice, we have added a manual BPM-tap into the context menu.

Posted Thu 31 Jul 03 @ 1:41 am
Please fix the BPM counter !!!
AtomixMP3 count the BPM very fast and correct!
.... or can i look the BPM modified by me?
Please correct this bug... is very very important to all ;)
...if the music is playing (ex. 121 bpm) (Virtual Dj show me the 80 BPM) :( ... i click on "Edit BPM", and i put the 121 and the BPM in the list is not modified... why ?
... and the mix is still crash :)
So Virtual DJ team, i like the AtomixMP3 BPM Detection !!! :)
Thx very much for message!
Good wook with this bug!
bye bye VDJ Team :)

Posted Fri 08 Aug 03 @ 7:55 pm
DJBoziLE userMember since 2003
Hi Guys... I've been using a demo of VDJ lately but initially used AtomixMP3 (Demo)! I did a mix on Atomix which ran perfect and the BPM seemed accurate, but VDJ seems way out. Atomix read one track at 103. and VDJ @ 131. The result is where I had to speed up this track to be in sync with another, it now slows down with VDJ. I know there is a manual beat tap but to do this for every song?

Posted Mon 20 Oct 03 @ 4:43 pm
VirtualDJ need to be able to read the BPM from header/id3 tags (like PCDJ and BPM studio). That way it does not have to be stored in a database and re-scanned each time the db is reset.

Posted Wed 12 Nov 03 @ 6:44 pm
DJ Edgar reports:

The BPM should not be tapped for an accurate beat, if one has more than 5000 singles is he going to sit the whole day working it out as one does not know which track has the accurate beat.

This problem should have been fixed a long time ago and been more advanced like PCDJ. Try and compete with the best to stay in the top 5 at least.

And the sampaling rate is poor too, cant be very creative in the mixes this way.

all the best as i have already purchased the dj console from hercules and cant back out now. So do support this controller in the best way besides your own.

cheers

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 10:05 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I currently carry 23,400 songs. I tap when I have to.
Thank god for the manual beat tap!!

Posted Tue 18 Nov 03 @ 10:47 pm
"In case of you didn't notice, we have added a manual BPM-tap into the context menu."

Some of you members/corp reps don't seem to be getting the message. Mr. Yen, is this statement above meant to be a mockery? To some of the people trying out this software, it would appear so. Can you even count how many times you've heard people complain about VDJ's BPM's being off? NO! Thats cause there are too many.

Your response basically tells us to bug off and spend hours upon hours first finding (manually) out which songs have wrong BPM's, then fixing (manually) those songs. I'm here to tell you that if your at any type of gig where your actually taking people's requests, you don't have time to 'manually BPM tap' your way through mixes.

Lets connect the dots Yen. There are many complaints on the VDJ forum about bad BPM's. That means your BPM analyzer SUCKS and needs work (and apparently, USED to be better before VDJ, so maybe you should go back to that one). If it works great for some people, then you guys should be looking at which genres keep coming out wrong so it can be worked on.

But comments like yours seem to say you aren't interested in working on it, and let me tell you... as cool as the features and usability of VDJ are, this BPM thing is really getting to a certain group of users/potential buyers, so much so that I seriously consider trying out something else. And you don't need to think "all BPM detectors are about the same", cause coming from PCDJ, your BPM detector stinks.

If I actually played gigs by setting up a whole list of songs, adding in only a few requests throughout the whole gig, THEN I might have time to manually BPM tap, and this message wouldn't be so long. But that only makes VDJ good for stale playlists, and this isn't very good for DJ's who travel around and play for different groups of people who might prefer the lighter or heavier side of a genre than what your playlist dictates.

I do believe users created this topic because they felt a need to express their concern/discontentment over the BPM detector in VDJ. *****I think you guys should listen*****. And I think Yen, the bigshot corporate rep that he is, should get off his big corporate A** and do something about getting this damn thing taken care of.

=============================
So does anyone reading this know of another DJ program out beside PCDJ, cause I'd like to start looking.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 03 @ 3:22 am
Sorry Mr. Yan-X, I called you Yen.

Posted Tue 25 Nov 03 @ 3:23 am
DJBoziLE userMember since 2003
I'm beginning to think that maybe what we should do is go back to Atomix... problem is there's no more upgrades happening on that & eventually it will be out of date - I wonder if we all took a specific song and compare BPM if even that would vary... Common guys a lot of us have been demo user - still trying out different packages, because we not entirely convinced! Please give BPM accuracy a thought?

Posted Tue 25 Nov 03 @ 3:31 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Go for it, team! please.
FRUiT94

Posted Tue 25 Nov 03 @ 6:14 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)