Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: What new gear should i buy?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

aaronxHome userMember since 2007
ok well i've used the demo of VDJ and i've gotten the hang of the whole laptop DJ thing. I'm using a old 17" powerbook, soundcard, and numark dxm06.

Heres what i was wanting help/ideas with:

New computer, I'm leaning towards a imac. Anyone DJ with an imac? Is it easy enough to take and set up places, or should i look at a new macbook when they come out in sept. (not enough cash for the pro unfourtunatly)

RMX vs. TC
i really like the Hercules RMX, but i like the effect and loop controls better on the total control, anyone have any input, or should i just buy somethign like a shuttle pro and stick to my mixer.

Tracktor input:
in addition to using VDJ i've looked at serato and don't like it, but i have heard some good things about traktor, is VDJ really that much better or should i give traktor a try before i buy VDJ?

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 3:09 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
aaronx wrote :
ok well i've used the demo of VDJ and i've gotten the hang of the whole laptop DJ thing. I'm using a old 17" powerbook, soundcard, and numark dxm06.

Heres what i was wanting help/ideas with:

New computer, I'm leaning towards a imac. Anyone DJ with an imac? Is it easy enough to take and set up places, or should i look at a new macbook when they come out in sept. (not enough cash for the pro unfourtunatly)

RMX vs. TC
i really like the Hercules RMX, but i like the effect and loop controls better on the total control, anyone have any input, or should i just buy somethign like a shuttle pro and stick to my mixer.

Tracktor input:
in addition to using VDJ i've looked at serato and don't like it, but i have heard some good things about traktor, is VDJ really that much better or should i give traktor a try before i buy VDJ?

Hi,

1. I would suggest getting the macbook if u going mobile with it.

2. This is ur preferences. Both can be use as a controller plus rmx is also a soundcard. With total control u need to buy a soundcard.

3. I prefer VDJ over traktor anyday;) But again this is ur preference too.

Also there are no demo for mac VDJ version atm. If u like to use VDJ pls help its development by purchasing it, thanks.

Hope to see u as a pro user too;)

Regards.

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 3:19 pm

1. I would suggest getting the macbook if u going mobile with it.

2. This is ur preferences. Both can be use as a controller plus rmx is also a soundcard. With total control u need to buy a soundcard.

3. I prefer VDJ over traktor anyday;) But again this is ur preference too.

Regards.

thanks, right now i'm still a bedroom DJ, but i already have plans for building a custom flight case to take my computer and controll with me if i were to work at a club ever. Has anyone lugged an iMac to a club, is it really a pain?

I already have a sound card, so if i got a RMX i would just sell it, but has anyone used both? which do you like better?

Any particular reason you like VDJ better?

Posted Wed 27 Aug 08 @ 3:27 pm
any more ideas or input from people who have used these controllers or programs?

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 12:37 pm
well i stated with a desktop lugging around and 1, its takes time to not only bring the (imac) but also the mouse, keyboard anything else

and its wayyyy harder to keep thing safe, secure, etc - i broke my monitor, keyboard and a few mouses thru traveling while a laptop - no problems... macbook all the way man

and imo, tractor is a really weird format to me lol... it resembles audacity to me for some reason... but to each his own.

GL man

Posted Mon 01 Sep 08 @ 10:13 pm
thanks for the input.

Posted Wed 03 Sep 08 @ 2:46 pm
I own a MacBook and a PC laptop and Virtual Vinyl runs many times better in PC, so much better that I have my Mac running xp only for Virtual Vinyl.

The entry MacBook in USA is $1100. With that money, you can buy a serious laptop. The Mac is excellent, but it will only have 2 usb ports, no dvd writer and VV will have some issues.

If you go to a PC, I will buy a PC Running XP Or Vista, but VERY IMPORTANT. ONLY 32, ( NO 64!!!).

The pluggings will work easely, the audio card will work better and so on.

also, I agree with the Lapto option, I went to a DJ Networking meeting and this guys were building a Moster machine with a huge rack, Internal hard disk, etc... (WHO WANTS TO CARRY IT)... For me, since the laptop, I have been DJing in places you can not imagine, I always carry it with me, I am ready to play in 5 minutes, and also, now my old laptop is my backup for critical events (Disclaimer: It has not crashed once because the laptop or Virtual Vinyl,)

Posted Thu 11 Sep 08 @ 2:43 pm
thanks for the input, ya i gotta hae a mac, no PCs for me. its rumored we'll get new laptops oct 14th, and if not then, than at the mac world expo in feb. if they switch to an aluminum macbook then i might go that route. i'm also not concened about USB ports, since my sound card is Firewire. we'll see, right now i'm looking for a new car so thats taking my extra money i was going to put toards a new computer and controller.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 2:57 am
I used a imac at my gigs on monday nights. no problem just a hasstle to manuver thru a crowd when i was trying to go home. I just recently got the black macbook. And have to say it is fine too. If you don't want to get the macbook right now the imac will do fine. make your money then upgrade thats what i did.

Posted Fri 12 Sep 08 @ 7:25 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)