Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Buying a new laptop, recommendations welcome!

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi everybody! I'm new here and I'm really excited about purchasing VDJ Pro and a Hercules DJ Console RMX, really soon. I've downloaded the trial version of VDJ Pro at home on my desk top computer. I got to say I'm very impressed with the simplicty of use and the abundance of useful features! I've seen Serato, PCDJ, Traktor and other computer DJ programs and I was not moved.

I must admit, what peaked my curiosity towards VDJ was the GUI. The little turntables and and cover flow look awesome. It makes me feel like I'm still playing vinyl.

Little bit about me: I've been DJ'ing since before CDs were used by mobile and club DJs. I had ODYSSEY build me a custom, three turntable, rotary mixer coffin; for home use. Needless to say I've been around the block once or twice when it comes to the art of DJ'ing. I don't mention this to show off, but just to give you guys some background. Nuff said.

But the year is 2008! Lugging around 5 CD cases, mixer and CD players is getting old, dangerous and impractical....

Having some previous experience with software/hardware/PC incapatabilities, I've decided to build/buy a system around the software and hardware; and not the other way around.

I've researched the VDJ's minimum and rcommended requirements. But they don't mention that Vista 64-bit isn't jiving well with VDJ. So, I'm asking the experts and veterans of computer DJ'ing and VDJ for help. What other issues are popping up that I should be aware of before making my purchase.

I've settled on the fact that I won't be using Video right away, but it could be a possibility in the future. So I need a mobile machine that can handle the workload.

If you had to go back and re-purchase your laptop, what would you have done differently? What spec did you miss or forget? I know enough about computers to know that I don't need to buy the most expensive to get the most effective or useful.

I wanna buy VDJ, Hercules RMX, laptop and hit the ground running; not be fiddling with incompatabilities....

Thanks again in advance to everybody who might help me with this.

Posted Fri 15 Aug 08 @ 6:57 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006

Gateway P-173XL FX Edition Notebook PC

Posted Fri 15 Aug 08 @ 7:02 pm
Thank you for the recommendation. I researched this laptop and it says this about it: advanced 64-bit SP1 version of Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate.

Isn't this a known issue? Vista 64-bit incompatability with VirtualDJ PRO and the Hercules RMX?

Thanks.

Posted Fri 15 Aug 08 @ 7:59 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Sorry I blew past the 64 bit OS issue. That is still a bad ass lap top.

Posted Fri 15 Aug 08 @ 8:04 pm
Yes, it is :)

Posted Fri 15 Aug 08 @ 8:11 pm
Will any of these do the trick?

Toshiba L305-S5883
(Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750,
2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB,
3GB Ram, 250gb Hard Drive,
Vista Premium)
$799

Toshiba P305-S8830
(Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750,
2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB,
3GB Ram, 160gb Hard Drive,
Vista Premium)
$829

Fujitsu V700
(Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor T2410,
2.0GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB,
2GB Ram, 250gb Hard Drive,
Vista Premium)
$649

Dell Inspiron 1720
(Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250,
2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB,
3GB Ram, 320gb Hard Drive,
Vista Premium)
$749

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 6:35 pm
^ all of these are 32-bit versions. They shouldn't have any serious/major Vista issues, I think.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 6:47 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

I would say go with one of the Toshiba's. Why, because they are relaible as fcuk. And very good build quality.

My old gig laptop was a Toshiba and it never let me down, in over a year of use.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 6:47 pm
Thank you Jimmy B. Will the two specific Toshiba's posted here work well with VDJ?

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 7:52 pm
djchris73 wrote :
Thank you Jimmy B. Will the two specific Toshiba's posted here work well with VDJ?

Yeah, should be fine if you do audio,

but if you do Video aswell make sure you have a dedeciated graphics card aswell.

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 8:15 pm
Thanks Jimmy B.

By "dedicated graphics card", Could that be a usb or firewire device that's peripheral to the PC?

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 8:26 pm
djchris73 wrote :
Thanks Jimmy B.

By "dedicated graphics card", Could that be a usb or firewire device that's peripheral to the PC?

I would suggest a internal graphics card. That is fitted to your motherboard. I didn't know you could get External ones?

Posted Sun 17 Aug 08 @ 8:45 pm
Advice on Toshiba Laptop (64-bit oops?) to go with VDJ & Hercules RMX...Just ordred, return or able to make reliable???

Processor*AMD Turion™ X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-80
Operating System*

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (SP1, 64-bit)
Processor Type*

2.10GHz
Front Side Bus*

HyperTransport™ 3: up to 3.6 (GT/sec)
Memory Size*

4096MB
Memory Speed*

PC6400 DDR2 800MHz SDRAM

Supports 720p content, 1366x768 (HD+)
Graphics Engine*

ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3470 Hybrid X2
Graphics Memory*
2047MB total: 256MB DDR discrete memory + up to 1791MB shared memory w/ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ technology

Hard Drive Size*320GB
Hard Drive Speed*5400rpm
Secondary Hard Drive Size*None Available

Any advice, opinions or even to just call me an idiot would be appreciated. TY

Posted Thu 09 Apr 09 @ 11:44 pm
nishguyHome userMember since 2005
Acer Aspire 7730
intel centrino core 2 duo T6400
2 ghz, 800 mhz fs bus 2mb L2 cache
4 gb ddr2 ram
up to 1695 mb mobile intel graphics media accelerator 4500MHD
vga and hdmi out
windows vista home 64 bit

Posted Thu 16 Apr 09 @ 12:58 am
damyxzPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I loaded virtual vinyl(numark version) on a bargain laptop I got from best buy(toshiba satellite l30d-5895) specs are dual core AMD turion 2ghz, 3g RAM, ATI video card, 120G HD and windows vista. I got a new hard drive from newegg.com(7200rpm, 300G) and loaded windows XP pro sp2 on it. I configured the performance for always on and turned off the wi-fi and onboard LAN along with the built in sound card via the device manager. I used it last week for a charity event which ran straight about 21 hours and virtual vinyl ran flawlessly. I controlled the the software using 2X technics sl1200mk2 TT's using shure m44-7 cartridges. beat mixing, scratches and dubbing are flawless. Great sound from the numark sound card too.(I will try a stanton scratch amp later). I think as long as your hardware specs are up to par, you will not have problems with this system. The only annoyance is setting up the time codes on initial start up. Does anybody know a firmware upgrade to the numark soundcard? Also do not forget to ground the decks during set up so the time codes will be read.

Posted Tue 21 Apr 09 @ 1:56 pm
damyxzPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Oh I forgot, I only paid 400 bucks for the laptop new.

Posted Tue 21 Apr 09 @ 1:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)