Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: static ip adress...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ok any suggestions now?.. ive been told that all thats needed is my ip adress for vdj to install properly... but i have a static ip adresss that changes every so many minutes and that i guess is what my problem is any suggestions?

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 10:57 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
i thought static ip's stay the same. isnt it dynamic ip's that change? i could be wrong

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:01 pm
could be.... im not sure im just going by what ive been told... the suport team just needs to see my ip adress so my program can be unlocked

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:08 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ive got a dynamic ip that changes and it unlocks ok
are you behind any firewalls or anything?

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:10 pm
yes but when i try to fix problem i disable firewall both mcaffe and the widows firewalls..

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:18 pm
i guess the vdj wabsite just doesnt see my ip adress or something.. may there is a port or something i have to enable?

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:19 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Get rid of the firewall stuff. It doesn't really do you any good. The vast majority of system security problems are going to come from you visiting a website, reading your mail, or executing a program. If you don't do any of those things carelessly, chances are the firewall won't be doing you much good...especially if you have an IP that changes every few minutes, like you say.

For most people, the firewalls cause problems just like what you have here. Then, you start getting inside of it to disable things, mess with port forwarding, etc. In the end, you'll probably end up turning off all the protective parts of the firewall anyway to get rid of these types of problems and you'll just be left with a worthless shell of a program that doesn't do much besides slow down your system.

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:47 pm
youre on to something there... im going crazy trying to figure out what is suposed to be on or off...

Posted Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 11:58 pm
does it make a difference if im behind a router?...

Posted Wed 12 Jan 05 @ 12:21 am
azawakhHome userMember since 2004
If you are behind a router the your computer have no direct connection to internet.
The router changes your IP number to one the is of no use on the net if it's configd right.

And there might be a firewall in the router.

And if you have a firewall KEEP IT ON. I get about 10 - 20 portscans every day from people trying to get in my computer, all stops at the wall, and most worms are spread from computers without a firewall without the owners knowledge.

Hasse
LD JD

Posted Wed 12 Jan 05 @ 12:26 am
so if im behind a router how do i get this unlocked?

Posted Wed 12 Jan 05 @ 5:05 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Those port scans are more than likely coming from people scanning ports looking for a specific weakness that a trojan has put on your system. If you don't have the trojan, you are fine. Use a firewall if you want, but for the majority of users, they are worse than useless. *shrug* In McGiver's case, his dynamic IP is going to protect him from the majority of port scans because even if he comes up with a weakness, the hackers are scanning thousands of IPs and store them to be exploited later. By that time, he's no longer at the same IP.

If you have a router, mcgiver, then it is a physical thing. It is a box between the internet line coming out of your wall and your PC. If you have this, tell us the model.

Actually, if you *do* have this physical router, forget about configuring your way around it. Just unplug it and hook your internet connection directly to the PC, then validate VDJ. After that, you can hook it back up as it was.

Posted Wed 12 Jan 05 @ 10:58 am
you need to stay online, on the same connection as you are, when contacting e-service.

That would fix the problem :)

If you log off, and on again, your ip have changed

Posted Wed 12 Jan 05 @ 6:22 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)