Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: VDJ Scratch v6.0 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Here's the plan, i was updating a skin just for fun one i had worked on prior. I do like how it came out and think its pretty cool but i know there is a lot more that can be improved upon.

The contest: take the skin and redesign any way you feel would improve the look and overall functions of vdj. The skins will then be voted on and an overall winner will be decided. The winner then gets the skin uploaded in their name and credit for the design!!!

The goal is to make some ultimate TC/scratch skin that users have chosen. I want this to be more of a timecode skin because i feel there is enough skins with on screen controls and there was never anything "default" created. This contest is all in good fun and I hope brings out some creative ideas.

Currently from the screen shot, it is as if VDJ and Serato had a child together from some wild romp both choose to forget but will always remember. :) Even though i made some very Serato like spinners(outer edge progress circles!!!), i do not want this to be a total clone of some other skin already made but more like a fusion of the best ideas known so far.
The skin is 1280x768(800) that the size i want you to mod, but maybe we can have some resized(if possible) after release.

***This contest is open to all users*** and for download in a zip(mac) & exe(pc) for easier download.
http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/4546/VDJ_Scratch_variations.html

Good luck !!!!!!!!! may the best design win!!

Please post only your screen shots here in the forum and upload your skins to the VDJ skins page.
label your submissions ----> Summer Skin (your forum login name)

the deadline will be August 31st (extended)

Posted Mon 21 Jul 08 @ 8:50 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is there a prize for the winner :)?

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 3:18 am
DJ FORMATPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
yes the skin lol

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 3:54 am
Well i wish we could but as with most of VDJ's contributions it's done for fun and the love.

As i said the winners skin will be uploaded to their credit.

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 10:40 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
anything numark might want to donate as in way of a promotional one off Simon, could yet become an annual thing, keep the company profile out front... just a thought

Posted Wed 23 Jul 08 @ 11:40 am
If anyone is actually skinning for this contest.... think

It might be worth a pair of TCV's

if i can't get a donation i might just break my own pockets if people enter, but we need enteries due in by 8/31/08 ---- 31/8/08 (euro date) :)

Posted Mon 18 Aug 08 @ 4:44 pm
i was going to have a go at this but realised that the skin is perfect for me! Awesome job!

Posted Thu 21 Aug 08 @ 8:20 pm
Thanks! I think it serves its purpose.

Posted Fri 22 Aug 08 @ 9:01 am
well overflow ex skin is 1440*900 and is similar to the ever popular mix station with a spinning platters and other improvements very useful for both time codes and standard play. close enough?

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 11:19 am
mickyzHome userMember since 2007

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 3:35 pm
I really appreciate the efforts here but what i had asked for was to take the skin i uploaded and modify that in any way you seem fit to make it the "best" skin, not upload a different skin.

I was really hoping for a better turn out, perhaps we can try this again now that summer is over and people might have more time on their hands.

Thanks for anyone that took the time look and downloaded my skin.

Posted Sun 31 Aug 08 @ 8:03 pm
ok so i decided to work again on this skin and i'm not a fan of "look-a-likes" but this is really only one element of "fav" skin.

Let me know what you think? The spinners have a end of track warning, sliders at the top are key sliders for harmonic mixers (i use a shortcut that does it automaticly) One main feature is the CBG grid If you play dance music they are almost 100% correct while other types you have to find the 1st beat and set them (i'm not sure if it is by default but i have shortcuts that make setting them easy). the spindle in the center of the spinner is a TCV-active button. The restroom looking guys are still clone buttons, (i like them ;)

Any suggestions you guys want to make are welcome.

I had a crazy idea to make the beatmatch overlap color the same as the active deck so if deck 2(red) was active once you had the beatmatched and mixed the waves would appear the same color red. It did work but it was a little odd to me since when not matched they would should the other waves together. I can upload it also if anyone wants to try it, but that is more experimental.

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/4546/VDJ_Scratch_variations.html

Just a tip, this is from Dj-in-norways blog on how to setup CBG shortcuts. Use whichever button s you like but i used the up and down arrow keys.

here is how :
1. Go to the "keyboard shortcut" tab at the control panel of Virtual DJ
2. Press "ADD.."
3. Go to "RYTHM" in the first column
4. Go to "adjust_cbg" in the second column
5. choose the values "default deck" and a value ( in this case -64)
6. Assign it to a keyboard letter THAT IS NOT IN USE for other function (say the letter "N")

now you have a keyboard shortcut for SMALL adjustment for deck playing. It will move towards the left (negative value)

Do the same as above, but choose the value "+64" and asign it to different letter, say "M".
This will make the same function as above, but move small steps to the right (positive value)

This will make to keyboard shortcuts for small adjustments of CBG to fit beats.

The second 2 shortcuts you might wanna have is to adjust the BIG square to be aligned to the first beat of a bar (usually the first beat of a song, or the first beat where the vocal start). Reason being that beatmix with first beat of a bar aligned for both songs will sound ALOT BETTER then mixing without them aligned.

To make this keyboard shortcut, do the same as above, but change the values for :
1. "adjust_cbg4" (this will move the big square from beat to beat, and not small steps)
2. Set the value to -1
3. Assign it to a keyboar letter, say "CTRL+N" (or another letter not in use by other function)

To the same one more time, but choose the values +1, and asign it to a different shortcut (say, "CTRL+M")

* if anyone has questions about the shortcuts i will post mine, i find them very simple and useful.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 1:34 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
In order to promote this Winter skin contest i will provide all participants a VirtualDJ Skin Creator completely free while this contest is open.

This Skin Creator tool helps the skin maker to do the XML code.
This tool is still in development but it does work pretty well.

Users who want this tool, first post a message in this topic (so i can see what level you are on the forum), and then send me a PM.

Posted Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 2:30 pm
There is no winter contest, i was just updating the skin and wanted to keep it in the same topic... but thats a cool idea that you have.

Maybe we should try some type of contest again ;)

Posted Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 2:40 pm
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Very good job listen2, it's a good way for external mixer setup ;)

Posted Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 1:39 am
*Upadate

fixed a few graphics and changed key mixing to camelot. Keep in mind with camelot mixing your looking for a number to match or come as close to that number as possible EX. track one is an 8 then you want track two to be 7,8,9 for best sound.

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 6:22 am
and one no time code version?
for ICDX/CDJ400/D1200 with external mixer

Posted Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 9:35 am
Spazialex DJ wrote :
and one no time code version?
for ICDX/CDJ400/D1200 with external mixer

i'm sorry i am not sure what you mean?

Posted Mon 08 Dec 08 @ 12:29 pm
sischoPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Posted Sat 27 Dec 08 @ 9:12 am