Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Current bugs discovered...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

First off I would like state I have owned and used VDJ's sister product AtomixMP3 for a little over a year (Great product), with very few problems or complaints. As you can see I recently purchased VDJ, expecting similar if not greater quality than thier previous product. What I found was enough bugs that should have stopped this product from leaving beta. Here they are..

1. VDJ crashes and does not self recover most of the time.
2. Multiple instances of VDJ causes the program to crash, and not recover.
3. VDJ has a problem of not loading a new MP3, that has been "dragged and dropped" over to the VDJ window, no matter what the bitrate is. Some times it works sometimes it does not, more times than any it does not.
4. VDJ crashes on attempted usage of of V-scratch or V-control, and of course does not self-recover.
5. VDJ seems to have a memory leak or something of the sort, I have watched this application eat close to half a gig in memory. But fortunately this is not all the time.

My system Specs:
AMD 2800+
3 GB DDR333
1/2 TB of HD space
SB Audigy Platinum
Creative Inspire 5.1 Digital 5700
gForce4 4600 128MB
WinXP Pro, with all latest drivers and updates installed.

2nd System:
Dell Insperion 8100
1.2 Ghz PIIIm
512 MB DDR
40 GB HD
Radeon 7500m 64MB
SB Extidgy
WinXP Pro, with all latest drivers and updates installed.

Webcams:
Ezonics Model: 518
USRobotics
Veo Model: 650VS26X
Fuji Film, Quick Pix Model: 50i

Troubleshooting:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the product several times allready. I keep my drivers and patches on both systems updated. I did as suggested in a previous post and tried renaming files, moving them to different HD's, cursing at them, still no dice. I have tried using different webcams to see if that might work for the v-scratch, no good.

End comments:

I am at a loss at how this company released this product when it appears to still be clearly in it's beta stages. I am also at loss as why this product is having problems that its sister product does not, (i.e Dragging and droping MP3's) It would seem that from lessons learned they would know how to do this allready, instead of reinventing the wheel. I do understand that the v-scratch is a new feature and therefore I can not hold that to the same truth as that of the drag and drop. I am slightly dissapointed with this product, allthough you might argue that $114.00 is cheap considering what you are getting in the product, it doesn't ammount to a hill of beans if the features advertised do not work properly or at all. I do understand this poduct was recently released, but this is no excuse for it's performance. This company has been making this type of software for sometime now, it is not as if they have no experiance in this market. And please do not compare them to Microsoft, coding an operating system is way more intense than coding an application for mixing audio.

Thank you for your time, and reading my long-winded post.

Regards;

Redman247

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 3:39 pm
Technology evolves and windows is always getting more complex. Also when new features are rapidly added and deadline is set, there is risk of problems.

You may not have used the famous sequencer program Cubase SX. I can't remember when it came, but i think it took half year for Steinberg to fix the very random crashes, which happened often. Bleeding edge technology, you know? Had my share of this with my first flat-screen display (L1710b).. It make eyes hurt fast and store didn't take it back.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 6:48 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
well, for what it's worth. I use VDJ 4-6 times every week on an XP 1300 sony laptop. It has 512 of ram, and I use a 120 gig external hard drive for file storage. VDJ is installed in the default location. I wouldn't use MP3's from the onboard drive. (I used to keep some backup files on board, but with Atomixmp3 I would get an occassional skip, or pause only when using these onboard files)
Since VDJ's release, I have used it at every gig. I have yet to experience a single crash, or skip. I do everything from blending background music to mixing hard for 4 straight hours working a dance floor. (my gigs are in 4 different venues)
Now, I'm not trying to suggest that you aren't having problems, I'm just trying to let you know that some, perhaps many people are having error free usage of this software. You might need to take a close look at what is running in the background, or the stability of your windows installation (sometimes you just have to format your drive and re-install windows from the ground up.) Are you getting the error numbers that are reported? Those numbers are very helpful to the developers in helping to determine what the exact problems might be.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 6:59 pm
Keyword you said there was deadlines set, when quality is limited by a due date, everyone suffers. Hence the reason I continue to refer to it as a beta, and not truely even RC.

While I am still quite new at vDJing scene (Only a couple of years) I am not to the computer industry (20 years). This is part of the reason I said what I said about the product. To say something positive about it, I would have to admit it has some nice ideas and features. The negetive things need no further mention other than my previous post.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 7:03 pm
@ DJ Rick,
As far as reporting the errors, if and when recovery pops up (does not necessarly mean it will work) it gives you an option to describe what you were doing and send the error to Atomix, in which I have done dutyfully as possible. when the program just crashes with only MS wanting to report, I normally do not bother after the 3rd time for the same problem.

As far as processes running in the background preventing proper usage, I try to run a streamlined as possible to suck every last drop of performance from my systems, whenever I install some new software, I normally adhere to the request of the manufacteurs and close all running application and/or windows. When running a new program for the first time, I normally have only it running, nothing worse then a bad app locking your system up and you have unsaved items on your desktop.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 7:17 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree! I just wanted to let you know that only a few are having problems... I'm sure the programmers are working hard to get it sorted out. Meanwhile (for what it's worth) I'm fortunate enough that VDJ is running smooth as silk on both of my systems. When I have it running here on my desktop computer, I roll out a play list and just let it play all day while I work with other apps... even printing documents.
I hope you get it sorted out.

Posted Mon 21 Jul 03 @ 9:15 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)