Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Denon HC-4500 Custom Mapper v1.1 released

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

A new version of my custom mapper for the Denon HC-4500 controller has now been released.

You can download it from Downloads -> Plugins -> External Tools:

http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/download.html?addon_id=4417

New features:

• Bug that could cause a crash under Windows Vista during automix fixed.

• Song key is now shown in VDJ 5.1 (E.g: [F#m])

• Key adjust using [JOG MODE] + [-]/[+] fixed in VDJ 5.1

• Song BPM and key (VDJ 5.1) is now shown when browsing files.

• Manual BPM tap implemented ([TAP] button.)

• Frame cueing fixed in VDJ 5.1 (Code for this function improved.)

• [BACK] + pressing parameter knob expands/collapses the current selected folder when browsing. [BACK] + turning the parameter knob will browse up/down the folders.

• When browsing, the function buttons [1] - [5] now sort by Artist, Title, BPM, Key or Comment respectively. These can be customised via user parameters.

• [FLIP] + [<<]/[>>] in Cue Points mode now skips backwards/forwards by 4 beats.

• [FLIP] + [PLAY] performs a stutter if the song is currently playing.

• Pressing [PLAY] while stuttering with the [CUE] button will now cause the song to continue playing after the [CUE] button is released.

• Double-clicking [CONT/SINGLE] while automix is active will skip the current song and mix in the next from the playlist.

• Holding down [TIME] and turning the parameter knob will zoom in/out on the on-screen (Skin) waveform.

• Mapper modes assigned to the effects buttons can now be changed via user parameters.

• User parameter 'Mode Info Display' added. Allows mapper mode info (E.g: Effect name) to always be displayed permanently when in Cue Points, Loops, Clipbank or Mixer mode, or optionally all modes.

• Setting 'Search Speed' in user parameters to a negative value will jump by exactly 4 beats at a time when rapid searching using [<<]/[>>].

Posted Wed 09 Jul 08 @ 8:19 pm
DJPolakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi,
I have some problems with your mapper v1.1,

i) I start song from first cue, if i stop song , then i starting song again, the cue changed in the second start?

ii) If i play hour, is lost the second deck sound with your mapper only?

iii) How i change the cue point, if i have already point in this cue?

THX,
Akis - Greece.

Posted Fri 11 Jul 08 @ 4:12 am
DJPolak wrote :
i) I start song from first cue, if i stop song , then i starting song again, the cue changed in the second start?

This is normal - It's designed like that to replicate the way that similar Denon CD players work.

However, if you don't like this, you can change the PLAY/CUE behaviour via user parameters (E.g: So CUE sets the cue point,.) See the HC4500.txt user manual included with the mapper for further details.

In Denon mode, pressing PLAY when the deck is stopped/paused will set the cue point and start the song playing. Pressing CUE jumps to the cue point and stops playback. If the song is paused and already at the cue point, pressing and holding CUE will play temporarily from the cue point, allowing you to create a stutter effect.

To set a cue point, pause the song at the appropriate location then adjust if necessary with the jogwheel. The cue point will be set when you press PLAY to start the song playing. To set it before you are ready to begin live playback, press PLAY and then press CUE.

DJPolak wrote :
ii) If i play hour, is lost the second deck sound with your mapper only?

The mapper does not directly manipulate sound of VDJ - It simply sends appropriate shortcuts to VDJ, e.g: 'play' when you press the PLAY button.

If you are using the video crossfading features, please ensure that you have not linked the faders (CONFIG -> Video tab.)

The only other ways to affect volume with the mapper is either using the pitch sliders as volume sliders (You will see the VDJ skin volume sliders update appropriately) or mixer mode (Again, you will see the on-screen faders, crossfader, etc. change appropriately.)

No other users have reported any problems of this nature during beta testing so far.

Some possible causes could be:

• Loose audio connection on that side.

• Bad ASIO drivers (If you are using the Denon ASIO driver) - Make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers installed - Go to http://www.denondj.com to obtain these.

• Deck has been faded out/muted via the software mixer - Use the 'Internal Mixer' skin to check the positions of the faders, crossfader, gain knobs, etc.

Also, you currently only have the home edition of Numark Cue (LE) - This does not support the Denon HC-4500, so I assume you are using the latest official trial version of VirtualDJ (http://www.virtualdj.com/addons/index.html)? If not, or you are using a version earlier than v5.0.7, that may be the cause of the problem.

DJPolak wrote :
iii) How i change the cue point, if i have already point in this cue?

In Denon mode, pause the song at the appropriate position. Adjust with the jogwheel if necessary. The cue point will be set at that position when you press PLAY. Press CUE to return back to the cue point.

Alternatively, if the mapper is in Cue Points mode, you can press RANGE+Parameter knob to set the cue point.

Please see the HC4500.txt user manual included with the mapper for full usage instructions.

Posted Fri 11 Jul 08 @ 12:15 pm
Jpboggis,

Thanks for all your hard work on this mapper. It works great. I no longer have crashes with autoplay in vista but still do when in autoplay in XP. Have you or anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Edit:
I seem to have had my crossfader linked (you said it should not be linked). I will uncheck the link box, test again and post back...

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 6:43 pm
I unlinked the crossfader and am still experiencing crashes in XP when in automix. Is anyone else? I use the native full video skin. Here is my crashguard report:

Crash ID=0584673c (date=807082100, version=5.1 Pro, build=510, thread=Main, dump=c74024ff, excode=c0000005 (1,58324aa))
Crash ID=0560673c (date=807141714, version=5.1 Pro, build=510, thread=Main, dump=c74024ff, excode=c0000005 (1,1cb00ee))
Crash ID=0560673c (date=807141959, version=5.1 Pro, build=510, thread=Main, dump=c74024ff, excode=c0000005 (1,55f24aa))

Posted Mon 14 Jul 08 @ 8:29 pm
Killabee44 wrote :
Thanks for all your hard work on this mapper. It works great. I no longer have crashes with autoplay in vista but still do when in autoplay in XP. Have you or anyone else seen this? Thanks.

No, I have never been able to get it to crash myself during automix no matter how hard I try. I am using it under XP (I don't have Vista.)

I did find a pointer bug which appeared to be the cause of the crash under Vista (Fixed the problem for users testing the mapper when it was beta.)

The linked audio/video crossfader option should not cause any problems, but this is only really intended for using the HC4500 stand-alone without a mixer.

Have you changed any of the other user parameters from their default settings? It could be a particular setting or combination of settings you are using that is causing the problem. You could test this by temporarily moving My Documents\\VirtualDJ\\hc4500_params.cfg to another folder and then starting VirtualDJ. A new settings file will be created with the default settings. If this cures the problem, please send me your old settings file so I can see if I can work out what's causing the problem.

Are you using the X500/X900 mixer with the HC4500 for video crossfading? If so, try disabling the link between the mixer and HC4500 to see if it has any effect on the problem.

What XP service pack do you have installed?

Posted Tue 15 Jul 08 @ 1:54 pm
Ok, after much testing, here is what I found. I deleted the file you spoke about (the name of the file was slightly different). I then rebooted and started VDJ in automix but NOT maximized. It ran for about 20 hours and I could not make it crash.

I then rebooted and ran VDJ in automix but this time maximized. It crashed within 2 hours.

There is some sort of correlation between the maximized window of VDJ and the mapper. Hm...Now I am thinking that I should run VDJ without the mapper.

I will post back...

Posted Wed 16 Jul 08 @ 9:44 pm
I always run VDJ windowed. I'll give it a try maximised and see if it makes any difference.

What happens if you run VDJ with one of the default skins maximised? Does it still crash?

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 1:02 pm
I ran VDJ maximized without your mapper and no crash.

So, when I run VDJ maximized and DO use your mapper VDJ crashes...

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 2:53 pm
Hi JP,

Oh i'm in heaven while working now, this mapper puts the world right!!!
Just a quick question, can i copy the 2 config files and save them so if i ever need to re-install everything i can get the mapper back how it is nice and quick??
Thanks for all your effort on this.

Cheers Tom

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 4:26 pm
Could it be the resolution I am running at? What resolution do you guys run VDJ at? Could that have something to do with the crashes?

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 4:41 pm
i run the VDJ Full video skin resized to 1920 x 1200 and dont seem to have any probs??

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 5:12 pm
tomvassie wrote :
Just a quick question, can i copy the 2 config files and save them so if i ever need to re-install everything i can get the mapper back how it is nice and quick??

Yes, you can make a backup copy of those two config files and put them back in place if you ever need to re-install. You could even copy them to another PC (E.g: Backup laptop.)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 6:16 pm
Killabee44 wrote :
Could it be the resolution I am running at? What resolution do you guys run VDJ at? Could that have something to do with the crashes?

I've been running a test for just over an hour now. VDJ is running full-screen on my desktop PC with the default 1024x768 FullVideo skin.

The resolution of the display is normally 1600x1200, but that is automatically changed to 1024x768 when VDJ is maximised. The video is being output to a 2nd monitor 1280x768. Automix is activated on the left deck.

Random video transitions have been enabled (Only the default Atomix provided transitions are installed.)

Posted Thu 17 Jul 08 @ 6:23 pm
jpboggis, I read another post you made saying that you are working on a new version because of the new version just released (5.2). 5.2 is said to have improved communication between VDJ and the HC4500. How so? Hopefully it will take care of my crashes under XP.

Posted Mon 28 Jul 08 @ 8:22 pm
A new version of the mapper is required for VirtualDJ v5.2 because the values for the buttons, LED's, etc. have been changed (Due to the addition of the other Denon controllers, which all use similar MIDI commands.)

I do not currently know whether this will have any impact on the automix problem some users have been experiencing (I am unable to replicate this myself so far) - However, I have made a few adjustments to the way automix works in the HC-4500 which may or may not have an impact on the problem.

In the old version, I've discovered that the mapper constantly reads the song info while an automix transition is taking place to the next song. This has now been corrected in the v1.2 version of the mapper so that it only reads it once when the transition is complete.

Posted Tue 29 Jul 08 @ 12:57 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)