Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: A quick little mixing tip

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I suppose many of you know about this mixing tip but I thought it should be mentioned again.

I am sure many of you have experience the common problem with cuing a song and as you wait for the right time to start bring in the song it is now too far ahead. One common way to prevent this, is to simply put your upcomming beat in a 8 or 16 loop. All you need is to have your loop in sync with the playing song. So you first beat match the songs and then after you sync the beat you can start a loop on the second beat. You can then wait for the perfect time to bring in the new song without losing your cue.

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 9:31 pm
rafikiPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi bjbladerunner. I like this tip. However I dont quite understand what you mean. Can you explain it more in depth. Thanks.

Posted Fri 11 Mar 05 @ 5:06 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
bjbladerunner means....
normaly when you mix the next mp3 into the one who's playing, it is hard to time it perfectly.
so when you loop the next mp3 and play with the syncstart before you mix, it is already beatmatching before you mix it.
then at the right moment you just move the crossfader (or whatever you wanna do)..

okiedokie??

Posted Fri 11 Mar 05 @ 10:10 pm
ok can u show us else

Posted Sat 26 Mar 05 @ 1:56 pm
Play with the volume down and cue visually your cbg's when you are right on bring up the volume and down the bass of the playing track
Regards
Andre

Posted Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 1:47 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Another quick tip for club or bar dj's: don't always limit the play time of a song to 2 minutes, although this is a current trend in europe, I certainly don't advise it, you need to get a feel of how long to play a track off the people, no set rules here should apply, fair enough it keeps the listeners ears interested if you keep 'on your toes' with the mixes,

But anyone who's been in a commercial club will have witnessed: When a DJ is playing a really popular song (at that time) or a great classic, something that almost everyone wants to hear, you see everyone storm the dance floor and do strange things, hee(joking), of course the dj will mix out of that song in 2 or perhaps 3 minutes, you then get an after shock, and see people leaving the dance floor, even if the dj has mixed in anothr popular song, it doesn't matter, the point is the people are waiting for the current song to get to the end or near end before they expect or anticipate another tune, in this situation the dj has made a mistake in the music, NOT the mix it's self, music is first remember.

The Dj in this case should play the track longer because that's obviously what the people wanted, even when the track has gone round once, it's perfectly ok to let it go round again. In the 90's when you had these big raves and festivals, songs were played mostly for 5 or 6 minutes, sometimes dj's like digweed would play a techno or trance song for as long as 8 minutes, i'm not saying we should go back to that in commercial clubs, but we shouldn't also give in to the opposite extreme of short play time,

don't be shy of the 5 minute barrierr, sometimes it's what's best, play your songs in varient lengths according to the people you are being payed to please!.

Finally, It's ok to be different, don't follow trends!.

Bagpuss

Posted Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 6:56 pm
Myself when I am creating a CD I like to add as many songs as I can to get people jamming. Especially old school tracks. But just try and do it live when the girls are bumping to J-Lo's Get Right and they will be capable of throwing a chair at one.

MS

Posted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 3:54 am

Posted Thu 31 Mar 05 @ 10:55 am
lossHome userMember since 2005
I'm a professional Dj(Dj Andee). You should play more attractive songs and remixes.

Posted Sun 24 Apr 05 @ 5:11 pm
What don't you understand?

Posted Sun 24 Apr 05 @ 5:11 pm
(nt = no text)

Posted Sun 24 Apr 05 @ 5:15 pm
djbambiPRO InfinityMember since 2003
why won't this topic disappear from my unread topic list?

Posted Thu 28 Jul 05 @ 12:26 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I think that the song barrier it's 3 min (I didn't known the 2 min thing), but if the song is great and the people is enjoying it, I let it go as far as it can go (of course allways looking to please our audience). I look for the best moment to do the mix, and look in the time the people please to listen that song, then do the mix, sometime after, sometimes in time. I think the best it's to my in shape to improvise.

The first for my is the audience, then the music, then the mix...

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 1:45 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)