Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Do you really like the DJ Console sound card... Humm :(

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I would like to know if I am the only one who consider the treble, medium and bass control really bad.
If for instance I put all the bass out the sound distort compare to a real mixer. I wish this was not the case because I could then use the console as a real mixer for parties. Right now I always have to hook the console to a real mixer to get good effects and really play nicely with the treble, med and bass.

Do I have a problem with my console or is it simply that the sound card on the console is not that great to play around with the sound? I saw a guy controling his music from a Evolution keyboard and he had a 300$ sound card on his laptop and he had great sound control. Is this the solution? If I need a better sound card then I might has well get rid of the console and simply buy a midi device like Evolution.

All feedback are really welcomed!

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 8:53 pm
it does not relate to the soundcard, the hercules is a pretty good soundcard.

the eq knobs are only midi commants to the Virtual DJ software, so the "limitations" you are talking about is software related. Try using EQ in skin, and you will see/hear the same...

Software EQ knobs will never match hardware knobs at a pro mixer, but you could always ask for a better frequency range as a new feature at "new feature" forum.

Or you can use the very good 32 band EQ plugin that will let you have very good controll of EQ, almost as good as hardware mixer... :)

hope that helps

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 6:32 am
Thanks DJ-In-Norway as usual your comments hit right on the nail.
Have you tried using the 32 band equalizer? It seems limiting to use the equalizer as a special effect I will not be able to play around with my knobs. right? I guess that is why you stick to a professional mixer...

The guy I met was using Tracktor with an Evolution keyboard. Do you think it was Tracktor which had a better frequency range or is it the Evolution which has hardward knobs?

Thanks for your first reply.

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 10:24 pm
BTW dj-in-norway did you read my mix lesson tip? I was wondering if you are sometime using a similar loop technique to cue and make your mix?

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 7:43 am
hi...

YES, I do use an external mixer when at gigs :) the hardware knobs at the Pioneer mixer have a far better range, and sound/feel that the software/hercules knobs gives...

I dont know about the Evolution, but if its a HARDWARE knob on that soundcard, that actually behaves directly at soundcard, it will sound a lot better.
The Hercules is NOT a hardware knob, but a midi controll knob that only controlls the software.
There is a huge difference.

And allthough Virtual DJ is a far better DJ program (in my eyes), Traktor does have a long tradition in producing other sound apps, and it is a possibility that their software EQ's sounding better.
(no offence to Dev Team here... lol).

You could always ask at "new feature" forum here at the Virtual DJ website for a better sounding software EQ. I sure would say that the range for them is a bit off... But most use external mixer, so it has not been an issue. If you ask for this, I'm sure Dev Team will consider to develop it further... ;)

I did read your mixing tip, and its the way most/many DJ's mix :)
Its a short version of my very long guide at the same forum part... lol ;)

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 8:56 am
and yes...
You are right... the EQ plugin is not fitted for mixing. Its more of a standard EQ, and not made for fast mixing effects.

Posted Wed 05 Jan 05 @ 8:57 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)