Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: ID3/file 101 - can you help?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi all!

I understand the basics of ID3 tagging and I have some cool software that helps me rearrange all the info as required.

Here's my situation: On my PC, I want to have the files listed as TITLE - AUTHOR, but obviously VDJ doesn't like this (end up with the author in the title column).

I've seen some talk of "parsers" which allow me to change the way the info is displayed, but I don't understand how to use them.

Question: Can I have the file names (not tags) listed as TITLE - AUTHOR and still have VDJ understand them, or do I have to rename all my files to AUTHOR - TITLE. It's not really a big issue if there's no easy fix, I'll just rename the files.

Posted Sat 01 Jan 05 @ 5:37 pm
Feel free to tell me this is an abovious question, and you're welcome to stone me for asking it. Maybe I'm just over complicating it.

I want my file names to be TITLE - ARTIST but that makes VDJ have a tantrum...

Posted Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 6:24 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Parser can read tags, so if you have your all your tags correct (i don't...), you can use it, but it will slowdown the browser somewhat, and i don't recomment it.
I think it's fair if you want your files named in a different way than the "standard", and you can ask it, in the new features forum (something like a mask to allow the user to customize it)
... but don't expect to see it ...tomorrow.
In the meantime i have a little trick for you.
Open regedit at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREVirtualDJ
and change the "columnOrder" to "1"
This will swap the artist and trackname columns in vdj browser.
You still will have the tracknames at the artist column (and via versa), but at least, tracknames
will be first... just ignore the titles...
cool ?

P.S. or.. rename your tracks..

Posted Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 9:02 pm
Thanks for your response. That's what I needed to know - VDJ needs to be updated, rather than me changing a "layout" feature or something...

I may have a look at the reg edit too.

Or I might just change my titles. ;) Thanks!

Posted Sun 02 Jan 05 @ 9:52 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
try looking for the reversed default parser in the plugins section this should do what your looking for

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 7:54 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 7:59 am
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Parser works but only with artist and song name ....don't work with BPM

Posted Mon 03 Jan 05 @ 11:54 am
there is also an IDtag parser available for download, that will let Virtual Dj use id-tags, and not the artist - track.mp3 rule

look in effect downloads

Posted Tue 04 Jan 05 @ 6:24 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)