Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Virtual DJ with Pioneer CDJ-700 or similar player without interactive platter

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have a pair of Pioneer CDJ-700S players, which are basically the compact versions of the early CDJ-500's.

Although I would not have the scratching features that are found in the current CDJ-800, would I still be able to use Virtual DJ to play MP3 files with my players via the time coded CD's?

Secondly, I have a 4-channel mixer.

Will I be able to assign 2 channnels to Virtual DJ and bypass the other 2 channels for regular use?

Thanks!

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 1:04 pm
Hi OneMix,

One of the first things I should point out is to use this functionality, you will need to buy the PRO version of Virtual DJ, not only will this enable you to achieve your goal, you'll also gain access to all of the available skins, effects, samples and help from the community along with future upgrades. Also consider Virtual Vinyl as this gives you everything you need for this setup.

A lot of your requirements depend on your sound card setup. To do what you want you need at least 2 stereo inputs and 2 stereo outputs, I find the Maya 44 USB ideal for this and will use this as an example.
Since I've had that setup a new product Virtual Vinyl branded by Numark is available which will provide you with TimeCoded Vinyl and CD's along with a very good soundcard perfect for what you want to do.

From each CD Deck take the output and couple this to the input on the soundcard and the outputs to your mixer channels.
Using the Maya card as an example
Deck 1 Left - Input 1
Deck 1 Right - Input 2
Deck 2 Left - Input 3
Deck 2 Right - Input 4
then
Output 1 - Mixer Channel 1 Left
Output 2 - Mixer Channel 1 Right
Output 3 - Mixer Channel 2 Left
Output 4 - Mixer Channel 2 Right

You then need to burn a set of VDJ TimeCode CD's, there are 2 different files available depending on the output signal volume of your decks, I would think the Pro file will be fine for your uses.

With regards to controlling VDJ: Start, Stop, Cue and Pitch Bending will all be fine obviously as these are not scratch platters, you still will not be able to scratch using VDJ.
One really good thing about this setup though is using the Bypass feature in VDJ, you will still be able to play regular CD's through your 700's on the same mixer channels.
Alternatively you could use Y splitters on the CD outputs and bring them in on the 2 spare channels of your mixer meaning you could have 2 tracks playing in VDJ, disable TimeCode and while they're still playing load in a regular CD.

Hope this helps you out.
I'm just getting packed to go to the airport on holiday but will check back to see how you got on.

Ross M

Posted Wed 28 May 08 @ 5:50 pm
nevo84Home userMember since 2011
i have recently purchased 2x gemini cdj700s coinnected it up with my virtual dj pro ,it is working with the software but , can anyone help me out , when i press cue the sound doesnt instantly come out there like a half second delay , but yet when i put it into cd mode it works perfectly , any suggestions ??

Posted Sun 25 Aug 13 @ 8:02 pm
nevo84Home userMember since 2011
i have recently purchased 2x gemini cdj700s connected it up with my virtual dj pro ,it is working with the software but , can anyone help me out , when i press cue the sound doesnt instantly come out there is like a half second delay while using midi mode , but yet when i put it into cd mode it works perfectly , any suggestions ??

Posted Sun 25 Aug 13 @ 8:04 pm
Hi

First, don't dig up five year old threads and stick your question on the end, especially when it's not related to the thread topic.

Second, if you're using VDJ Pro then you should register the serial number to your account (go to the My Account tab near the top of this page, scroll down to the Software Licenses section and enter the serial number of your s/w).

Third, don't post your message more that once (anywhere on the forum).

Fourth, the delay you're hearing is called latency. If you haven't done so, you should install the ASIO driver supplied with the decks. There will usually be a way of adjusting the latency buffer size within that Gemini driver/utility.

Posted Mon 26 Aug 13 @ 4:58 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)