Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Are these wheels supposed to spin like turntables? - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I would agree.

I don't see why anyone would purchase new CD-decks. I just don't see what they can do that can't be done better with TCV or XP10s.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 11:58 am
I use Virtual DJ with timecode CD's - with Pioneer CDJ 1000

And it DOES NOT have a spinning platter... in fact, I would not like it to have such a platter...
(maybe vinyl jockeys would... but I'm used to them, being the way they are)

XP10's gives much the same controll as playing cd's with a pro cd player (like cdj 1000)
In fact Djmag rated them to be BETTER than using the industry leader from Pioneer (Cdj 1000) ;)

xp10 will also give you a build in soundcard. So,if you decide to go for timecode cds (like me), you would need a good asio soundcard with dual input and output (like maya 44)

@ awesome...
Thats what I said as well... why go for anything less than using pro pioneer cdj1000's as controllers ;)
Its GREAT!! ;) but of course, an expensive solution for newbies... ;) Luckily my club owns Cdj1000's that I use.... ;)

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 1:54 pm
Thanks for the responses guys, but I'd just like to let you know that I do know the difference between RPM and BPM.

And my bad for never having used a CDJ-1000. I saw it perform in the video and it is very dark. It looks like the player platter is moving but I may have been thrown off by the spinner display in the middle which does move. Matter of fact, from that video I can only say for sure that the Technics platter is active. It's HUGE and silver. You can't miss that, not even in an Internet video.

As far as the Denon unit, maybe my point was not clear in my post but the technical specs I read CLEARLY state that the platter speed is NOT constant. As you move the pitch slider, THE PLATTER SPEEDS UP OR SLOWS DOWN ACCORDINGLY - JUST LIKE A RECORD. If you don't believe me I'll track down the spec sheet that said it. My only question was does it do this in relation to BPM or +/- pitch,... meaning - now follow this close:

If I put a CD on deck 1 and it is 100BPM and the pitch slider is +/- 0
Put a CD on deck 2 and it is 110BPM and the pitch slider is +/- 0

Do the platters now spin at the same speed? If I move the pitch slider on deck one to make that CD's tempo match the CD in deck 2, well then the platters will not be spinning at the same speed. Now I understand that this behavoir would be just like a record,.. all I'm saying is if it is just like a record, then it's a lot less useful than if both CDs pitched up to 110BPM would make the platters spin at the same rate. The point I am making seems pretty clear to me. Maybe it's me.

As far as why anyone would run out and buy a couple of Pro CD decks instead of using time coded vinyl? This argument I just don't get. Well, for one, CD decks play CDs!!! I have a couple of thousand of them. Almost everything I like to play comes on CDs, not vinyl. CD decks are a helluva lot more feature packed than turntables. You can do loops, cue points, all kinds of stuff. Smaller DJ rig. No weird ground loop problems. No cartridges and needles to keep buying. The list goes on and on. Did I mention CD decks also play CDs.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 3:18 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is it not best to play your cds through your pc/laptop so you get all the information and features of vdj itself or best yet, rip them all onto the hard drive.
im just saying that turntables might be better because it sounds to me that you want vinyl emulation (which is why we are talking about cd players with spinning platters)
And what better vinyl emulation than vinyl itself lol
As for features of a cd deck, doesnt vdj do most of them features + more

Just a thought
PJay

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 3:50 pm
Well my first (and only) live performance with VirtualDJ had two, countem two, crashes where the application just disapeared from the screen with no indication of why. Needless to say I had a dance floor full people looking directly at me, wondering WTF. It took a good 120 seconds before I could restore the groove. This is not a good feeling. If I had CD players at that gig, I would have defintely switched to CD players only and said screw the computer. But ALL I had with me was my trusty Dell, Hercules DJ console and sound gear. I had to make it work, which I did and no one really remembers the few minutes of party silence. Well, no one but me at least. As a side note, I've practiced my beat mixing and other DJ skills on this same exact system for what amounts to about 50 hours I guess, at home, and not a single crash - before or after that party. The only two times VDJ has tanked on me happened to be in the middle of a gig. Go figure.

All I'm sayin is, if I have two turntables at a gig and VDJ or my computer goes kaput, then those turntables at that point turn into two very large, cumbersome paperweights at that point since I don't have any vinyl to play on them and don't plan on buying any.

If I am at a gig with my trusty timecode CD playing active platter decks and VDJ takes a crash, then my timecode playing decks all of a sudden turn into a very useful set of CD playing monsters. I have DJ'd a big party with a couple of pro CD decks and I did the whole party with 9 custom burned CDs that I made the day before the party. NINE. Let's see you DJ a party with 9 pieces of vinyl.

It's all personal preferrence I guess. Funny though that I seem to be the most vocal on this thread and I've never seen, let alone used - an XP10, an active platter deck or a turntable with TCV. You have to admit, someone who has never used any of this stuff, posting about what's best and what's not. That's pretty funny.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 4:03 pm
your right, thats 1 advantage of cd players. although if your playing timecoded cd's through them and it crashes. your going to have to unplug the cd players from the soundcard and plug them into your mixer before you can continue playing. but at least you can continue playing lol. like you said no vinyl and a crashed laptop = pointless vinyl turntables lol

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 4:23 pm
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention. I suck at scratching so all of this is probably moot. But just like bicylicng and photography I must sub-consiously think that buying the best equipment or having the sweetest setup is somehow gonna make me better. Hey, at least I can admit it - and ya know,.. even if I do suck I can still impress my friends with all those lights and buttons.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 6:23 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Anewsome said "As far as why anyone would run out and buy a couple of Pro CD decks instead of using time coded vinyl? This argument I just don't get. Well, for one, CD decks play CDs!!! I have a couple of thousand of them. Almost everything I like to play comes on CDs, not vinyl. CD decks are a helluva lot more feature packed than turntables. You can do loops, cue points, all kinds of stuff. Smaller DJ rig. No weird ground loop problems. No cartridges and needles to keep buying. The list goes on and on. Did I mention CD decks also play CDs."

Wasn't meaning to hassle you, anewsome, just thought you might be heading in a direction that wouldn't really give you what you wanted.

Let me get this straight. You want:
ability to scratch, pitch bend, etc.
ability to set loops, cues, trigger samples, and do all that remixing stuff.
as small of a rig as possible
direct manipulation of VDJ

You are the poster boy for the XP10's. LOL

The more I read your posts, the more I think they will be perfect for you. When you get them in a couple of weeks, I think you'll be ecstatic that you didn't go the timecoded cd route, and you'll know exactly why. ;)

P.S.
If you want a cheap emergency backup system, portable personal mp3 players can be had for cheap now a days. Stick an hour long mix on there, put it in your pocket, and you are good to go.

Posted Fri 07 Jan 05 @ 9:01 pm

with a maya soundcard, or other soundcard, you do NOT have to unplug to "switch" from Virtual DJ w/ timecode cd's in the cd players, to using regular cd's in the cd players..

Having the right setup, will do fine.. :)

you can see an example of how to setup playing BOTH timecode vinyl & regular vinyl here, without the need to unplug cables :
http://www.virtualdj.com/blog/Dams/blog738.html

Posted Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 6:33 pm
but if virtual dj crashes, can you play normal cd's through the soundcard to the external mixer without unplugging the cd players and plugging them diectly into the mixer?

Posted Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 7:29 pm
Looks like he's got Y splitters on the deck output, which is what I would do also. So no, you would not have to unplug cables to play vinyl or in my case CDs. Just flip the input switch on the mixer and go for it.

Posted Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 10:08 pm
I juz wana ask when using the cd decks and time codded cds with VDJ, would the auto beat matching still be functional, as i know, during the use of tcv's auto beat matching could no longer be used. Thanks

Posted Fri 29 Apr 05 @ 2:51 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)