Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Considering new laptop...

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

WertzHome userMember since 2004
Heya,

I'm looking into getting myself a new laptop soon, to replace my aging desktop.
I've been told to steer clear of the cheap celeron based models, so I'm steering toward the P4 based models with their 1mb l2 cache. However I've been reading some problems on here about the hyperthreading ability of the new P4s...
So my question is should I go for a laptop featuring this type of processor? Has the bug been fixed or is it still giving problems? Also how much RAm do you consider "enough"? 512? More?
Any help much appreciated :D

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 4:07 pm
oops. Forgot to add that the laptop will be used primarily for playing out with the DJconsole and for a little web browsing...

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 4:08 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Mine has a HT processor. No problems.
I think that problem was fixed back in the 1.xx days.
It came with 512 of RAM, the first thing I did was to add 512 more.

Posted Mon 27 Dec 04 @ 7:05 am
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
HT can be turned off on the BIOS if it gives you problems. I haven't heard about any recent problems with HT, though. As far as RAM goes, the absolute minimum I'd go with is 512. Memory is so cheap there's no reason to get less anymore. One caveat: Some laptops only have one memory slot, which means if you want to get more RAM, you have to discard your current 512 chip and replace it with a more expensive 1GB chip instead of just adding another one. For most people that's not a problem, but right now, 1GB costs more than 2x512MB.

Posted Mon 27 Dec 04 @ 1:23 pm
Thanks for the help so far. One more question though; what video card if any do I need to run VDJ well? Since I can't upgrade a laptop VGA I need to buy it as part of the package, but there's no point in having a top spec card that'll never be used. For instance do I need a certain level of DirectX support? If so what's the lowest spec I could get away with?

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 1:13 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)