Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: software RIAA vs hardware RIAA

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

svolliPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I want to copy some vinyls to harddisk using a Terratec Aureon Universe. I noticed that the line-in and vinyl-in with RIAA preamp in the front module produces a background noise of about -60dB, but the background noise on the pci card is -90dB, so I'd rather like to use that one. Right now I'm unsure how the quality of rip vinyl's software preamp is compared to a ~100 Euro hardware preamp, which I consider as another option. Anyone could help me with this, in theory or from practical experience?

(BTW: a feature request for rip vinyl: please include the possibilty to rip to wave instead of mp3, so that I can go for some post processing like decrackle, declick, etc.)

Greetings,
SvOlli

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 2:40 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
This is a very interesting topic to discuss.
" How is a software RIAA preamp (like ripvinyl) compared to a hardware preamp "
I was ready to post this question myself.

My experience in music production is that software modelling can simulate hardware
very well and in many cases overcome the quality of the hardware.
I'm talking about Virtual synths, samplers and effects. These software tools are used now
by most producers, (including the top producers/remixers and studios).

So, in my opinion a software RIAA preamp like ripvinyl, in theory can be as good or better than a regular mixer's preamp, -but- i don't know for sure, and i didn't made any test yet.

I will ask the ATOMIX team, or someone who knows from "inside" PLEASE give us a clue.
I'm ready to convert a huge vinyl library to digital format.

Posted Mon 27 Dec 04 @ 12:01 am
svolliPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I did some tests yesterday, the problem was that the record player was putting out a currency that's been too low. Even with the maximun amplification of 12dB I was far from a 0dB signal.

Then I compared the internal RIAA preamp of the soundcard (Terratec Aureon Universe) to the preamp of my simple (analog) mixer. The result was that the one of the soundcard was slightly better.

So if you look at the money and the value I'd say the Aureon is worth a shot if you want to copy from vinyl to CD/MP3/OggVorbis. Also note that included is software by Algorithmix called Sound Rescue to declick, decrackle and denoise your audio data. The coolest thing about it that it does not only play the "cleaned" version, but also can play the stuff that's been removed.

I've also learned that you should take good care on the "analog side" of this process, like washing your records first. What you can "filter out" there can't be beaten by any digital equipment, since digital doesn't remove the disturbance, but covers it.

Greetings,
SvOlli

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 11:50 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)