Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Denon DNS1200 w/VDJ - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

aparsonPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all,

Has anyone tried this new CD/Controller with VDJ already ?

Are they any delays and/or lags on buttons vs. VDJ ?

Do you need an external sound card with them when controlling VDJ?

I think it has been out since last week in some stores. The place where I usually get my DJ stuff will have them available in 2 weeks from now. By that time the NS7 should be out as well, I guess...So I would be interested in reading, or even better watching some reviews on the DNS1200 and VDJ/CUE.

It looks like a good alternative to the ICDX.

Thanks...ap

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 10:02 am
kkorposPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I am totally taking my dual CD decks out of my rack and getting one of these - it will be both my back up (with USB stick) and CD player in case I have to play any CD's. The unit looks great, and like you said, great price for all of the stuff that you are getting.

There are so many new goodies coming out - not only is it hard to keep up, it's hard to make decisions!

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 12:09 pm
kkorpos wrote :
There are so many new goodies coming out - not only is it hard to keep up, it's hard to make decisions!

Exactly my point. Buying a pair of these ( plus the Denon DN-X120 mixer that goes along ) will pretty much be the same cost of getting the Numark NS7.

The way I see it, the advantage of these CD players -over the NS7- is their USB and CD connectivity which is, like you mentioned, an excellent dual-backup solution. Which sometimes, being a mobile dj, you also need to have a CD deck available in case the main person (bride, groom, birthday person, etc. ) wants you to play something in particular which you do not have as a mp3 file. So, the CD and USB connectivity has a lot of potential, not only as a backup option.

On the Denon website they mentioned that these CD decks have their own "built-in" soundcard. So I'm curious to know if that means that if you use them as controllers with VDJ/CUE, the sound will come out directly from the decks RCA connectors, and therefore, you will not need an external soundcard ( Maya44, DJi|o, etc. ) hooked up from the computer to mixer.

All the videos I found on youtube for these units are featuring them playing either CDs or USB thumb drives. I also looked over on the Denon's Forums, I couldn't find any reviews from someone testing them with VDJ/CUE.

Hopefully reviews of these units with VDJ will be posted shortly.

ap

Posted Fri 02 May 08 @ 2:50 pm
stefdjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
"bang on" aparson. I too have that exact question regarding soundcard and configuration etc. For me the simpler the set up can be the better it will work. So much time and effort needs to go into using an external sound card just to set up and get it working let alone get a stable set up. I do think that although i have xp10's and like the feel of them, these denon dns1200 are the first affordable REAL option. By that i mean realistically most of us dj's hate change and atleast if we have two cd players sitting infront of us we will feel far more relaxed. And if this one unit can midi control as well as be a decent cd player , then it gets my vote. I will be taking my laptop to a local shop and testing there connectivity as far aS vdj is concerned and also whether or not there are parameter settings for things like platter sensitivity. I know someone has mentioned that the denon hs5500 platter does not operate with vdj , hopefully this wont apply to the s1200.

i will post any findings.

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 5:21 pm
SC300PRO InfinityMember since 2008
When does th Numark Ns7 come out in the US?

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 8:04 pm
The NS7 is better than the denon DNS 1200s

Posted Wed 04 Jun 08 @ 10:59 pm
so y is the ns7 better?

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 11:26 am
because its desinged for the pro user not like the denons that are the lowest end level designed for someone on a budget. They do the job but, these are designed for the Home/ small setup dj. The NS7 was designed to work and not give any problems at all right out of the box. When you use the hard ware that is desinged for the software, its 100 percent compatable. NS7 and serato Itch = Forget about it..

Posted Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 4:13 pm
so if the the 1200 are not pro what cdj's are pro and that are not as expensive as pioneer.........are the Denon 3500 Pro?

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 2:23 pm
well i would consider all denon dj stuff pro... but what he's saying is that everyone knows that it is the entry player for denon... the cheapest, etc

however, imo it is a good player... rivals the numark icdx for compatibility

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 3:02 pm
many companies make low end and high end. When you make low end products, you are not going to find highend parts inside a low end machine. What im tryin to say is that, the denon is an entry level player compared to the NS7 which is a top level player. If you want to compare the Denon HS-5500 to the NS7, thats something different..

I think by spending money on 2 dns1200s and a mixer, plus the software would come out to the same price as the NS7and you are getting a high level setup

Denon was trying to make a cd player like the cdjs ( 3500s ) but they are not the same.
1.. is that , the scratching on 3500s are not that great at all. If you noticed, they first came out with 5000s which were belt driven. Then the 3500s which is direct drive. It has good effects but again, the scratching isnt as good as the Pioneers. Now they have the HS-5500 with improved scratching. They took the idead from the DN 2500 controller wheel and made it bigger. The scratching on the HS-5500 is good but not as tight as the CDJs

Posted Fri 06 Jun 08 @ 5:34 pm
szeppieriPRO InfinityDenonMember since 2005
Caliente123 wrote :
many companies make low end and high end. When you make low end products, you are not going to find highend parts inside a low end machine. What im tryin to say is that, the denon is an entry level player compared to the NS7 which is a top level player. If you want to compare the Denon HS-5500 to the NS7, thats something different..

Caliente123, your perception of the S1200 is completely wrong.
It is a pro deck with high quality parts as found in the more expensive HS5500.
Don’t let the size and cost fool you, its still a Denon.

Numark on the other hand has always been known as cheap to mid grade "ok" equipment.
I don’t think the NS7 will be any different in this respect.

Quote :
I think by spending money on 2 dns1200s and a mixer, plus the software would come out to the same price as the NS7and you are getting a high level setup

Quote :
Now they have the HS-5500 with improved scratching. They took the idead from the DN 2500 controller wheel and made it bigger. The scratching on the HS-5500 is good but not as tight as the CDJs

They are just as tight if not tighter, especially with the latest software that truly refined this area.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 9:36 am
lamont76 wrote :
however, imo it is a good player... rivals the numark icdx for compatibility

Yes and rivals the CDJ400 which costs $130 more (in the US anyway) and does less.

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 9:42 am
aparson wrote :
The way I see it, the advantage of these CD players -over the NS7- is their USB and CD connectivity which is, like you mentioned, an excellent dual-backup solution. Which sometimes, being a mobile dj, you also need to have a CD deck available in case the main person (bride, groom, birthday person, etc. ) wants you to play something in particular which you do not have as a mp3 file. So, the CD and USB connectivity has a lot of potential, not only as a backup option.

Correct a huge advantage over the NS7, the S1200 is a 3-way system
-plays CDs
-plays from hard drives, thumb drives
-controls DJ software with built-in high quality sound card

Quote :
On the Denon website they mentioned that these CD decks have their own "built-in" soundcard. So I'm curious to know if that means that if you use them as controllers with VDJ/CUE, the sound will come out directly from the decks RCA connectors, and therefore, you will not need an external soundcard ( Maya44, DJi|o, etc. ) hooked up from the computer to mixer.

aparson, stefdj

Yes, the S1200 each have their own built-in sound card for plug&play operation.
So, 2 – S1200’s and mixer (X120) and VDJ is all you would need

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 9:49 am
i can't belive he said it's not pro come on! guy be real the S1200 is pro

Posted Sun 08 Jun 08 @ 12:37 pm
stefdjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
hmm, not so sure i would agree with numark being pro as opposed to denon, whatever the model. In my experience numark are fantastically innovative a tend to release products maybe a little too soon, as they are a little rough around the edges, pioneer and denon however always seem to observe then bring out the real pro kit. However on a wider issue i welcome the competitiom in this area , ultimately it's good for us. I am however still curious to see how well each of these controllers will gel with vdj.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 4:35 pm
The two companies at the top when it comes to making cd players or controllers and mixers are Denon and pioneer. Numark is an Ok brand but the new NS7 looks good.. I consider pro equipment based on what pro users use. Entry level is not pro. You do not see entry level equipment in night clubs or in concerts.. Denon makes good equipment but you wont see djs like alex sensation using the Denon 1200s he would use the 3500s or the 5500s. Tiesto using technics 1200s or the pioneer cdj 1000mk3s not the cdj 400s. they dont use entry level equipment. The lower cost equipment is good but not the same as higher end. Crown makes good amps for concerts and they make cheaper model amps. You wont see the cheaper model amps pushing JBL concert speakers or das speakers etc.. This is the point im trying to make.. Good equipment cost alot of money because its made good to handle harsh conditions.

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 5:17 pm
has anyone used the denon 1200................hmm i wonder if they heat up and start acting funny like the denon 3500?

Posted Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 10:32 pm
bump anyone?

Posted Thu 24 Jul 08 @ 12:14 am
Denon DJ wrote :

aparson, stefdj

Yes, the S1200 each have their own built-in sound card for plug&play operation.
So, 2 – S1200’s and mixer (X120) and VDJ is all you would need

I ended up buying the HC4500 Controller....I'm very happy with it. Specially since I use it with JPBoggis' superb mapper. I'm a mobile DJ...so the HC4500 is the perfect solution for me because of its great VDJ integration.

I also added the BU-4500 CD bay unit to it....and I'm currently awaiting for the arrival of my DN-X500 mixer to complete the kit.

The only thing I will be missing now are the headphones...I will start looking for the black ones ( DN-HP700 ) this weekend.

Cheers

Posted Fri 25 Jul 08 @ 12:35 pm
77%