Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Anyone have any samples of HDJC-produced mixes?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

NetHeadHome userMember since 2004
I'm looking into getting one of the Hercules consoles, but I've yet to see any samples of what this baby can do. Anyone have a mix they'd be willing to share (preferrably one that demonstrates "scratching" on the HDJC)?

Posted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 1:55 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've never been able to get a good, consistent, scratch on my console. I've hit some magic points where it sounds perfect, but I'd be impressed if anyone is confident enough with the console to try to scratch live.

I worked around it by sampling my own scratches (on the console) and then cueing them up as samples when needed.

That being said, I still like the console and I made some pretty good mixes with it. The faders aren't bad at all, really. It's also nice to have some hardware controls to the software for those times when you find yourself wishing you could do 2 things with the mouse at once. If you want to be a scratch DJ, though, I don't think I could recommend it. I think you'd get much more enjoyment out of a cheap pair of used turntables, cheap used mixer, and the time coded vinyls...and probably close to the same price.

Be careful. The console is a gateway drug. =) After having mine for a few months, I've stepped up to the hard stuff, XP10's.

Posted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 2:25 pm
What's the problem? Latency? Feel? Anything that I could (eventually) learn to compensate for?

If not, do you know of any other "all-in-ones" like this? I'm trying to keep everything as compact as possible (avoiding another mixer, extra power bricks and hardware, etc.). Judging by the demo, VDJ has everything one needs as far as software goes. I've got two sound cards with a total of 3 stereo outs, one stereo in, and one mono in. I just need a good hardware controller to complement it all.

Posted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 3:25 pm
It's really just a question of quality.

Sometimes you'll press a button and it doesn't "register" inside and nothing happens.
The wheel's resolution is pretty poor. If you spin one way, then back the exact same amount, you will rarely be back to the original starting point. This makes scratching very problematic.
The eq is pretty poor...the midrange overlaps into the other bands significantly.

If you are serious about mixing, honestly, I'd skip it. You'll quickly outgrow it. If, on the other hand, you aren't sure you are going to stick with this, it is a great way to play around at home or pump up a friend's party. It *does* make VDJ more fun, and easier, to use, but I'm just not sure it is worth the $250...a little too expensive for a bedroom toy, and a little to low in quality to make you happy in the long run.

Posted Fri 24 Dec 04 @ 4:02 pm
Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with the Mixman DM2 instead (hey, a toy that's cheaper and more accurate!). It's quite popular with the Traktor crowd due to it's price--$20 on eBay. Read: http://www.nativeinstruments.com/traktor_forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5515

Hopefully I"ll be able to get it to work on VDJ using MIDI. I anticipate some problems getting it to work with the scratch rings, though. This'll be a little hard to explain--in addition to the standard 0-127 values for the controller, the DM2MIDI (third party) program can also wrap back to 0 if you spin past 127, or vice versa (wrap back to 127 after spinning past 0).

I.E.:

Normal: 126 -> 127 -> 127 -> 127 -> 127
or 2 -> 1 -> 0 -> 0 -> 0

"Wrap mode:" 126 -> 127 -> 0 -> 1 -> 2
or 2 -> 1 -> 0 -> 127 -> 126

--
Anyone know if this will work in the current version of VDJ (I'd love to trigger samples with the top buttons), or whether it would be easy to implement in a future version?

Posted Sun 26 Dec 04 @ 2:46 pm
You are mirroring my progression into DJ'ing almost exactly.

I had played around with Traktor, then caught wind of the Mixman and picked one up. It worked very well in Traktor, but I never put too much work into making it functional with VDJ. By the time I found VDJ, I was ready to move up. I bought the Hercules Console.

The problem you'll first run into with the Mixman, is the lack of any EQ control. Makes it tough to do smooth mixes unless you map a bunch of keyboard shortcuts, but for $20, they are a blast.

Posted Mon 27 Dec 04 @ 4:55 pm
Hey guy's, what you think about TimeCoded vinyl! with a full version of virtual dj. I m interested in. What about the latency, is very acurate with TC's.

Posted Tue 28 Dec 04 @ 1:58 pm
Take a look at the stickied post on the General Forum showing DJ Getdown's TCV work.

If that doesn't sell you, not sure what will.

Posted Wed 29 Dec 04 @ 11:46 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)