Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Shoutcast streaming to multiple servers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

ice86Home userMember since 2007
When streaming live mixes is it possible to stream the same set to 2 or 3 different servers using Home or pro edition, and if so how would i do it?

Thanks

Posted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 1:53 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You would be needing a license of VDJ pro or Numark Cue , then a shoutcast relay server on your machine you could broadcast to your local adress and have your shoutcast server relay to as many others as you liked.

Posted Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 3:33 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
yes, to add on to what sky said, you need the actual shoutcast server installed locally. it allows relays to be defined where you specify the addresses of other servers. however this means you need the A x B where A=the bitrate and B= the number of servers. If you stream at 128 and you stream to 4 servers, you need 512kb minimum upload bandwidth.

typically on home internet connections, you might have 8mbit download speed but your upload is much much lower. find out where the servers are that you want to stream to and perform a test with a tool like http://www.speedtest.net/

this will let you calculate how much upload bandwidth you have. if you try to stream to too many servers at once, all of your streams will hurt in quality and will be choppy (dropping packets) which is not good.

best method is to rent a shoutcast server where you can administer. professional services will support the needed upload capacity.

Posted Fri 14 Mar 08 @ 1:07 am
ice86Home userMember since 2007
Thanks very much for your help. I will definitely be purchasing VDJ Pro in the near future as after using my mates copy im very impressed by it. im on 20meg connection with about 700kbs upload speed so this should be perfectly feasible. Thanks again.

Posted Sun 16 Mar 08 @ 8:10 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)