Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Commas not allowed in mp3 filenames?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've read the many posts in this forum related to Virtual DJ crashing when scanning the hard drive for music files and I too am now running into that problem. It seems the Virtual DJ crashes when it encounters music filenames with commas in them. This seems like such an easy problem to fix, I am not sure why Virtual DJ continues to be plagued with crashing problems on certain characters in the filename. Curiously, all other music software seems to play these files fine. Why can't Virtual DJ's scan process cope with files of any legal length, composed of legal characters and at the worst SKIP the file instead of crashing in the middle of an important performance? Can someone from support please give me a good explanation of why this problem exists and why it hasn't been fixed yet? I'm not a large software company, or even a programmer for that matter and I am pretty sure I could write a program to scan my hard drive and catalog music files without crashing. I'm also pretty sure I could make my program skip any files that are likely to crash my program. Some explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Aaron Newsome

Posted Mon 13 Dec 04 @ 4:45 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
what version ?

Posted Mon 13 Dec 04 @ 7:41 pm
I am using the 1.0.9 version included with the Hercules DJC

Posted Mon 13 Dec 04 @ 7:45 pm
Well in a a fit of frustration I I dug around inside the VDJ directory and found the file that appears to have my mp3 database in it. It is a file called "mp3database.txt". I looked at the file and it appears to be just a plain text file with each file on a line, followed by the file's size. About 45 seconds and 10 lines of Perl coding and I made a script that creates the file without crashing anything. The script:

--snip--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
my @files = `find /vol01/mp3 -name \*.mp3`;
foreach my $f (@files) {
chop $f;
my @stat = stat("$f");
my $size = $stat[7];
$f =~ s/\//\\/g;
print "C:" . "$f,$size\r\n";
}
--snip---

I actually ran the script on my unix machine that has a copy of the same mp3 files (and Perl) so that's why the funny looking paths. I substitute the UNIX path seperator "/" with with windows style "\" at the end of the script and I also add a C: to the path as well.

I ran VDJ and it seems to accept the database and it hasn't crashed so far and all my songs are there. Why they can't make a program that can scan the hard drive is beyond me. I'd still like to know what the fix is supposed to be for this.

--Aaron

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry anewsome no email address is allowed from a demo user

Posted Mon 13 Dec 04 @ 8:08 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
While we are waiting on answers from the Devs to your good questions,
I wanted to thank you for your code contribution. Great!

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 5:46 am
Tomsound... from the fx forum?

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 4:49 pm
TileTomPRO InfinityMember since 2017
Shhhh.....

Hehe...

Posted Tue 14 Dec 04 @ 5:49 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)