Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Text 2D on a random scroll?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi guys

Is it possible to have the text 2d work on a random scroll...kind of like the scrolling marquee screensaver that you get?

Having played about with it, i'm not sure it is, but i just thougt i would ask...:o)

Keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Posted Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 9:35 am
It can scroll, but I dont understand what you mean by "random"

If you trying to add a delay between each scroll, what I do is type the text, the go to the beginning of the text and add as many spaces as I can till the counter reaches 0 (1 or 2 to be safe). this way it has to play all the blank between each scroll, spacing it out. if you try adding the spaces after the text, the plugin will not save the spaces, meaning each time you load the text, youll have to re add the spaces. add the spaces first (before the text), and they will be there again if you save and reload the text.

Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 4:21 am
Thanks for the reply, but i've not worded my question properly.

Say a screen has 100 lines of horizontal text 'scrollability' on it. I.e, 100 possible lines that the text could scroll from left to right on.

We control which line it scrolls using the X/Y axis sliders, but what i would like to do is have a 'random' button that allows the text to scroll from to right on a different scroll line each time it scrolls.

It means that if you were to have one line of text on your screen for any length of time, it wouldn't always scroll on the same line, instead it would scroll all over the screen.

I don't know if that explains it any better. An example of what i mean is the scrolling marquee screensaver that you get in XP or earlier versions of windows. Try it...and set it to random and see what you get. I just thought a wee effect like that would be cool for VDJ.

Cheers...and keep spinnin...(",)

P

Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 6:04 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
He means a random vertical (Y) position for the text :)

Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 9:56 am
Lol...yeah...:o)

P

Posted Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 11:22 am
foamgodPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have loaded the text 2 plug in many times but it wont work or even display the activate button. The regular text plug in works fine, like many other plug ins do. Is there a special way of loading it???

Posted Sat 22 Mar 08 @ 3:45 pm
foamgod wrote :
I have loaded the text 2 plug in many times but it wont work or even display the activate button. The regular text plug in works fine, like many other plug ins do. Is there a special way of loading it???

Try opening a new thread, this one has nothing to do with what your asking. This has been answered before, do a search too.

Posted Sun 23 Mar 08 @ 3:08 am
Pionara wrote :
Thanks for the reply, but i've not worded my question properly.

Say a screen has 100 lines of horizontal text 'scrollability' on it. I.e, 100 possible lines that the text could scroll from left to right on.

We control which line it scrolls using the X/Y axis sliders, but what i would like to do is have a 'random' button that allows the text to scroll from to right on a different scroll line each time it scrolls.

It means that if you were to have one line of text on your screen for any length of time, it wouldn't always scroll on the same line, instead it would scroll all over the screen.

I don't know if that explains it any better. An example of what i mean is the scrolling marquee screensaver that you get in XP or earlier versions of windows. Try it...and set it to random and see what you get. I just thought a wee effect like that would be cool for VDJ.

Cheers...and keep spinnin...(",)

P

Just curious as to why you would want to do that, if it were playing over music videos, it would be most annoying, moreso when it happened to scroll over peoples faces in a video? If your simply using it for advertising, perhaps over sonique it would make more sense to me.

Posted Sun 23 Mar 08 @ 3:10 am
halo_djk wrote :
Just curious as to why you would want to do that, if it were playing over music videos, it would be most annoying, moreso when it happened to scroll over peoples faces in a video? If your simply using it for advertising, perhaps over sonique it would make more sense to me.

The reason i would want something like this is simple. One line of scrolling text repeated over and over again on the same Y axis is, in all fairness, pretty boring. This is nothing to do with the plugin (which i think is great btw), it's just a thing about people. You wouldn't read a newspaper headline 40 times in 5 minutes, would you? Probably not. It's boring.

I like the idea of the scrolling text. You can leave a message up there for as long as you like...drinks promos, bar staff, requests, dj info, etc etc etc...but on one line all the time? Boring.

However, if you want to change it you need to manually change the sliders and then click apply/activate (which, for some reason, doesn't always work either??? weird, i know, but true). So, if you could just type your line of text and then click on 'Scrolling' and then have a 'Position>Random' button or a different colour button then i thought that would be good. It would save time changing it. Also, on the X/Y axis sliders, you're not always sure exactly where it's going to appear on the screen. At least with a random button option, you wouldn't need to worry about it. It would just run it's course and then you could change the message if and when you see fit.

And, just for the record, in my opinion, you shouldn't be running a line of text over a video anyway. I only ever use the text plugin(s) when I'm not spinning vids.

As always, just my opinion and another idea.

Keep spinnin'...:o)

P

Posted Tue 25 Mar 08 @ 8:52 am
Agreed, Text over vids bad! Agreed, moving the text around will entice people to read it. =)

Posted Wed 26 Mar 08 @ 2:00 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)