Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Creating a Skin XML Editing/Creation Tool

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Would anyone be in favor of having some kind of a tool that assists skin developers in creating the XML definitions for VirtualDJ skins? Sort of, perhaps, like a WYSIWYG html editor, I suppose?

Normally I switch between using the rectangular marquee select tool in photoshop along with the info box set to display pixel coordinates and sizes, and a programmer's text editor for this, but I thought that it would be really handy if there were a little tool that would allow you to view the BMP file, and draw little boxes right on the skin, menus to define the functions you want it assigned to, and have a preset for selected, down, up, etc. It'd make creating XML faster and straightforward.

It'd be super cool if it were even linked directly to VirtualDJ and you could assign the functions and such right from VirtualDJs keyboard shortcut keys so that the tool is automatically updated if VirtualDJ changes.

I was just curious about what ideas experienced skinners might have for the creation of such a tool...

Otherwise, how do most of you write the XML?

Posted Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 8:58 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If I understood correctly from skyfxl's reply it is under development. But don't take my word for it. And I agree of course, it's a pain in the A to do the xml by hand (not hard, but time consuming).

Posted Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 12:52 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Just to Clarify there is not a tool to do it , being published instead a list of clear instructions which was lacking in the past.

Posted Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 1:26 pm
I'm not a phenomenal programmer (but I can write little scripts and things like that) but how hard would it be to make such a tool, and what would be a fairly easy language/development environment to create it? Any developers out there that would care to comment on this? I've not created too many gui based applications at this point.

Posted Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 1:43 pm
it would be awesome.

skin resizing will never be the same. we can do what ever we want with what ever skin is out there.

even more than that, we can copy buttons and sliders from many skins and plug them all into one skin.

we can create a library of button,sliders, and knobs to do all kind of funky stuff. though panels may be tricky. and those visual stuff.
but more than that, who will update the program when vdj updates/expands it's xml code capabilities.

xml: textpad
bmp: ms paint

DJ Shahar

Posted Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 9:45 pm
Yikes! paint.exe (c) Microsoft Corporation 1989? People still use that?

A note: For anyone that is all the way down to using MS Paint, remember that The GIMP is a fabulous raster graphic editor, much like Photoshop, although not quite as refined or feature rich - except that The GIMP is open source and free. Check it out.

But, anyways, these features that I speak of - it'd be really neat if they could somehow be integrated right into the software so that you could very easily do live editing of a skin's functions while you are DJing. How neat would that be? Perhaps you can enter a customization/editing mode that would allow you do change the function of a button, and move buttons around and things like that. That would be a seriously cool enhancement for VirtualDJ!

Posted Fri 11 Jan 08 @ 2:47 pm
bonjour comment creer un skins merci

Posted Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 10:37 pm
salut phiphi80, ici c'est un post en anglais, mais il y a une section dans le site qui en parle,

http://www.virtualdj.com/support/developers/skin.html

désolé, elle est en anglais elle aussi.

ps, pour un petit conseil étudie bien celles que tu possèdes déjà,ça donne une idée

Posted Wed 16 Jan 08 @ 12:38 am
Joe1020Home userMember since 2008
Thanxxxx bro

Posted Wed 16 Jan 08 @ 1:13 am
v8djHome userMember since 2008
very crazy

Posted Sun 20 Jan 08 @ 2:12 pm
I'd be very interested in a tool like this. I've created numerous different sets of graphics that I would like to use as VSJ skins, then, when I start coding the XML i trail off and never get the damn thing finished. The funny thing is, that even if I started to program a tool to do this (if I could) i'd get halfway through, and well... you get the picture.. :)

Posted Fri 25 Jan 08 @ 6:28 pm
hey guys........ i agree with dj shahar (djkz) basically i'm from india i've worked on the same basis it works but i've seen some skin creator tool video in youtube but i don't know how to & where to download it if any one knows please do reply me
i'm desprite to work in it

Posted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 8:01 am
Thanyou DJParadeep for bringing a topic from January 2008 back up.
There is already a skin creator program available, but you need to buy VirtualDJ before you can download the skin creator.

thankyou for your time :)

Posted Fri 05 Jun 09 @ 9:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)